News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

CT to Queens, NY!

Started by Mergingtraffic, August 09, 2013, 11:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

I'll be taking a trip from Norwalk, CT down to Citi Field in Queens, NY soon.  Any good signage along the way? Any non-reflective button copy left?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Dougtone

Are you taking the Merritt Parkway and Hutchinson River Parkway or are you taking I-95 down to the Bronx.  There's some button copy (more of the reflective type) on the Hutch in Westchester County, unless that's recently changed.  I don't typically go that way when I travel between Albany and Long Island.  I do take the Bronx River Parkway, which does have some button copy and interesting signage.  Not much (if any) button copy in the Bronx on I-95 or the Hutch anymore.

As for Queens, there may still be some button copy along the connecting expressway which looks like it was supposed to be part of the Astoria Expressway.

dgolub

I think that there are still a number of button-copy signs on the Hutchinson Parkway, if you go that way.  There used to be a whole batch on the Connecticut Turnpike and the Cross Island Parkway, but the former were replaced back in 2007 and 2008 and the latter were replaced late last year.

Alps

If you want non-reflective signs, take the Whitestone to the Cross County, which I think still has them. Obviously, this will be out of your way. There are a few left on I-295 but not to that density.

dgolub

Quote from: Steve on August 14, 2013, 10:36:48 PM
If you want non-reflective signs, take the Whitestone to the Cross County, which I think still has them. Obviously, this will be out of your way. There are a few left on I-295 but not to that density.

The Cross County or the Cross Island?  You don't need the Whitestone to get to the Cross County from Connecticut, but as far as I know it still does have most of the old button-copy signs.  The Cross Island was mostly button-copy until late last year, when they replaced them.  (Well, they replaced them north of the LIE.  I haven't been south of there so I can't say for sure about the rest.)

hotdogPi

That's actually a relatively short trip.

Also, I keep thinking you're going to walk because it's "Norwalk".  :colorful:
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

Duke87

Quote from: Dougtone on August 10, 2013, 07:13:14 AM
There's some button copy (more of the reflective type) on the Hutch in Westchester County, unless that's recently changed.

Don't think there have been any non-reflective specimens left on the Hutch in a good 10 years (except near the Bruckner Interchange, where they were still there until a few years ago). But there is definitely some reflective button copy still up here and there.

Quote from: Dougtone on August 10, 2013, 07:13:14 AMNot much (if any) button copy in the Bronx on I-95

A couple signs approaching the Bruckner interchange southbound. Everything else was replaced a few years ago.

Quote from: Dougtone on August 10, 2013, 07:13:14 AMAs for Queens, there may still be some button copy along the connecting expressway which looks like it was supposed to be part of the Astoria Expressway.

There might still be one gantry eastbound. I'll confirm tomorrow, I'm headed over that way for work.

Quote from: dgolub on August 15, 2013, 08:33:33 AM
The Cross Island was mostly button-copy until late last year, when they replaced them.  (Well, they replaced them north of the LIE.  I haven't been south of there so I can't say for sure about the rest.)

The Cross Island/Belt still has plenty of non-reflective button copy. But yes, some of it was replaced recently.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: dgolub on August 15, 2013, 08:33:33 AM
Quote from: Steve on August 14, 2013, 10:36:48 PM

The Cross County or the Cross Island?
D'oh!

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 1 on August 15, 2013, 03:15:45 PM
That's actually a relatively short trip.

Also, I keep thinking you're going to walk because it's "Norwalk".  :colorful:

He's going to neither run... never mind.

Duke87

Quote from: Duke87 on August 15, 2013, 10:25:07 PM
Quote from: Dougtone on August 10, 2013, 07:13:14 AMAs for Queens, there may still be some button copy along the connecting expressway which looks like it was supposed to be part of the Astoria Expressway.

There might still be one gantry eastbound. I'll confirm tomorrow, I'm headed over that way for work.

The gantry I was thinking of is gone but this sign is still there.

Also, the westbound service road for the Grand Central by LaGuardia has a few non-reflective button copy signs in place.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Duke87 on August 16, 2013, 11:22:00 AM

Also, the westbound service road for the Grand Central by LaGuardia has a few non-reflective button copy signs in place.
Hard to believe most of it is gone, even with all those signs and expressways.

Mergingtraffic

Ok, I'm going back to NY, this time Im wondering if the button copy on NY-9A Henry Hudson Pkwy around the Exits 19 and 23 is still there?  Is it non-reflective? Looks like it's still there on Google but can't tell if it's non-reflective.

Harlem River Dr?

Also, Are the NRBC signs still around on the Cross Island and Grand Central Pkways on LI?

Trying to snap it all up before it's gone.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Duke87 on August 16, 2013, 11:22:00 AM

Which sign is non-reflective? The middle one or right one? or both?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.