News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Tunnel

Started by jakeroot, April 21, 2014, 06:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: kkt on March 24, 2017, 01:34:34 PM
Yes, scrapped.  They're too big to transport economically.  They aren't built with the expectation of re-use; once they've dug and dug for a couple of years on one project they're pretty much shot.

Except for the boring head itself, the machine looks (from the pix I've seen) like it's pretty modular; the mechanism could likely be disassembled and reused elsewhere (some components may need to be "sized" to fit any future projects).  The actual heads are essentially toast after a project of this size; it's a certainty they'll be scrapped. 

Alps

mgk920

Quote from: jakeroot on March 24, 2017, 01:24:30 PM
Quote from: Henry on March 24, 2017, 09:32:20 AM
So what are they going to do with Bertha when she's done? I'm guessing one of two things: Either destroy her or donate her to the Smithsonian.

I suspect she will be scrapped. There simply is no other use for a tunnel boring machine that large. The Sound Transit tunnel boring machines are being re-used because multiple tunnels need digging, but the Alaskan Way tunnel is very much a one-off project.

I remember mentioning either upthread in here or in another similar discussion that when the English Channel Tunnel was drilled, several of the TBMs that were used were purposely driven off course after they reached their objectives and subsequently entombed in the chalk marl under the Channel.  It would have been prohibitively expensive to retrieve them for reuse elsewhere.

Mike

compdude787

kkt

The tunneling machine is 127 feet from the disassembly pit as of today.  Expect it to break through sometime next week.

duaneu2

Quote from: Henry on March 24, 2017, 09:32:20 AM
So what are they going to do with Bertha when she's done? I'm guessing one of two things: Either destroy her or donate her to the Smithsonian.

It's going to be dismantled. From the Seattle Times article today:

The steel cutting disc will be carved into eight sections, one for each spoke. Those sections then must be further chopped to meet the 20-ton limit for transport on city streets. Pieces that many Puget Sound-area residents have come to know – the 57-foot, 4-inch diameter cutting disc, the ring-shaped bearing, the white steel shell – will probably be melted and recycled. Other parts, including the 24 giant electric motors deep inside the machine and the movable arms that position the concrete tunnel rings in back, should be reusable. So should miles of hoses, wires and conveyor belts.

kkt

Broke through today!  The tunneling machine is through and will move a little forward to the location planned for its dismantling.  Video at:

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/transportation/article/Bertha-set-to-break-through-tunnel-s-end-Tuesday-11047676.php

compdude787

Quote from: kkt on April 04, 2017, 05:10:46 PM
Broke through today!  The tunneling machine is through and will move a little forward to the location planned for its dismantling.  Video at:

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/transportation/article/Bertha-set-to-break-through-tunnel-s-end-Tuesday-11047676.php

Awesome!! Thank God it didn't have any more problems.

Bruce

Quote from: compdude787 on April 05, 2017, 12:18:13 AM

It's only beginning. There's currently legislation proposed that would dump the cost overruns onto Seattle (who voted against the tunnel in the first place), so expect more fighting.

I propose a $100 toll for non-Seattle drivers if the overruns are forced on the city. And then the closure of I-5.

Henry

Well, everyone here in Seattle is breathing a huge sigh of relief...for now.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on April 05, 2017, 02:32:27 AM

It's only beginning. There's currently legislation proposed that would dump the cost overruns onto Seattle (who voted against the tunnel in the first place), so expect more fighting.

I propose a $100 toll for non-Seattle drivers if the overruns are forced on the city. And then the closure of I-5.

Seattle may have voted against the tunnel, but the rest of the Puget Sound wasn't able to voice an opinion at all (not officially at least). Judging by the typical Facebook arm-chair warrior comments on many of the articles from local news stations, many outside of Seattle didn't want the tunnel either (or perhaps wanted it, until it broke down).

I think a more sensible approach would be to toll the tunnel at something like $8 or $10 (more for trucks with more than two axles) until the overrun costs are recuperated, at which point the toll will be lowered to 520-ish levels ($2 to $4).

kkt

Quote from: jakeroot on April 05, 2017, 10:11:20 AM

Seattle may have voted against the tunnel, but the rest of the Puget Sound wasn't able to voice an opinion at all (not officially at least). Judging by the typical Facebook arm-chair warrior comments on many of the articles from local news stations, many outside of Seattle didn't want the tunnel either (or perhaps wanted it, until it broke down).

I think a more sensible approach would be to toll the tunnel at something like $8 or $10 (more for trucks with more than two axles) until the overrun costs are recuperated, at which point the toll will be lowered to 520-ish levels ($2 to $4).

If they toll the tunnel at $8, nobody would take it.  It would never be paid off because the interest would accumulate faster than it could be paid down.

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on April 05, 2017, 10:38:49 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 05, 2017, 10:11:20 AM

If they toll the tunnel at $8, nobody would take it.  It would never be paid off because the interest would accumulate faster than it could be paid down.

Not necessarily. The 405 and 167 toll lanes regularly exceed $8 and they still get used. And the tunnel would shave off a good 15 minutes of navigating downtown streets. It wouldn't be worth it all the time, but it would be worth it much of the time. A time of day based tolling system might be better though (like the 520).

compdude787

Yeah, I don't see why just Seattle should have to foot the bill for any overruns.

I really hope you're not serious.

kkt

Quote from: compdude787 on April 05, 2017, 03:48:49 PM
Yeah, I don't see why just Seattle should have to foot the bill for any overruns.

The state legislature hates Seattle.

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: kkt on April 05, 2017, 04:58:21 PM

The state legislature hates Seattle.

Yeah. You're a Republican state rep from Kalama, and there are cost overruns to the Seattle tunnel.

What's an easier message to take home to Kalama:

- "You know, the Port of Seattle is really important to our entire state's economy, even here in Kalama. Moving goods in and out of that port supports a lot of industry and our economy as a whole, including the farms that ship grain through our grain terminal, and Seattle-based travelers who stop in our restaurants and gas stations. So we should have to pay some share of keeping Seattle moving."

or

- "Those Seattle people just want a shortcut through downtown, and now they want *us* to pay the bill. Let's tell Seattle where they can shove their cost overruns. Right up Bertha's behind."

kkt

jakeroot

Work progressing steadily at the south portal. WSDOT just threw together this graphic. See the second picture to orient yourself. The design seems to have changed since I last reviewed graphical mock-ups (thought that was a while ago, so to some of you, this may not be new information).

Henry

I think it will definitely be worth all the waiting and headache, like the Big Dig was! :)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Bruce

A new drone fly-through video of the tunnel, traveling southbound from portal to portal.

jakeroot

I've noticed that, since they finished tunneling, there's been a marked decrease in complaints/angry Facebook posters. I hear Dori Monson talk about the tunnel a lot less than he used to (more "informative" comments than complaints now).

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on October 20, 2017, 10:39:38 PM
I've noticed that, since they finished tunneling, there's been a marked decrease in complaints/angry Facebook posters. I hear Dori Monson talk about the tunnel a lot less than he used to (more "informative" comments than complaints now).

When there isn't news, people just aren't as interested. Same goes for other megaprojects...no one was talking about car tabs when the state legislature authorized ST3 in 2015, but now it's blown up into a huge issue.

jakeroot

Looks like we have a little over a year to go, chaps.

The upper roadway is about 90% complete. The north portal, unaffected by Bertha's infidelity, appears to be ready for cars:

The lower roadway will be complete next year.

https://twitter.com/mattmarkovich/status/926189881499435009

Henry

compdude787

I do hope there will be a sign at the south end of the tunnel indicating what the toll is. Seems rather stupid to put it at the north end. I'd rather have it at the south end, because that way I can get off of 99 if I didn't want to pay the toll.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.