News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Hampshire

Started by 74/171FAN, June 17, 2009, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

If nobody saw, I-93 reopened last night per NHDOT's Facebook page. Insane amount of fill and concrete they poured in there.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

shadyjay

I headed to Mt Washington for the day this past Saturday, taking in I-93 from the VT state line down to Exit 40.  Since my last visit last year, I noticed signs were finally replaced for Exits 43 & 44.  It also got me thinking into the old signage for Exits 42, 41, and 40.  Exit 41 used to have signage for US 302, NH 116, and NH 18, but now just shows NH 116 NORTH.  Exit 40 used to show signage for "US 302/NH 10 EAST" but was shortened to just "US 302 EAST", with no mention of NH 116 and 18 which also are cosigned here.  Then I began to wonder, if NH 10 was signed at Exit 40, where did it end?  My DeLorme Topo USA program shows US 302 and NH 10 cosigned with each other right up to the US 3 jct in Twin Mountain.  And an old Rand McNally atlas of mine from the late 1970s shows NH 10 east of I-93.

So when was NH 10 truncated back to end (pretty much) at I-93 Exit 42?  And why on earth was it routed along US 302 to just randomly end at US 3 in Twin Mountain?  Seems kind of a weird place for it to end.  Or was NH 10 and US 302 even cosigned east of Exit 42/40, or was it more of a "paper routing" than anything?

(the Wiki article on NH 10 states that it officially ends where it first meets US 302 in Woodsville, though it states NHDOT continues it to Littleton for historical sake.  No mention of it extending to Twin Mtn).

yakra

A relic from the New England Interstate days?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

The Nature Boy

Quote from: yakra on September 22, 2015, 01:27:23 AM

This looks to be the case since it "continues" as MA Route 10 and later CT Route 10.

I kind of wish the New England Interstate system still existed. It would be a useful navigational tool. It could just be a signing thing with the status quo still existing in terms of funding.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 22, 2015, 06:58:29 AM

This looks to be the case since it "continues" as MA Route 10 and later CT Route 10.

I kind of wish the New England Interstate system still existed. It would be a useful navigational tool. It could just be a signing thing with the status quo still existing in terms of funding.

It almost de facto exists anyway.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 22, 2015, 07:07:27 AM

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 22, 2015, 06:58:29 AM

It almost de facto exists anyway.

Oh certainly. I just want to see one of these in the wild again.

froggie

Resurrecting this thread for an update after last weekend's flooding.  A number of NH state routes in the western part of the state were closed due to flash flooding last weekend and a few remain closed as of yesterday.  NH 25A in Orford was the hardest hit, with a number of segments being completely washed out (including one in front of the house of a friend of ours).

http://www.wmur.com/article/roads-damaged-in-powerful-storms-remain-closed/10262070

bing101

I-93 and it has a parkway section though. This is one of a few interstate with a parkway section in the route and its a 2 lane highway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu2_XIr4M_M

froggie

http://www.wmur.com/article/i-93-south-closed-in-londonderry-because-of-debris-falling-from-bridge/12108136

I-93 Southbound is closed at Exit 4 (NH 102) in Londonderry this evening and overnight.  Concrete fell from the underside of the NH 102 overpass onto the southbound lanes earlier this afternoon.  At least one car was reported to have sustained damage.

As this is part of the I-93 widening project, a replacement bridge is already under construction, but won't be complete until next year.

tckma

Been poking around Google Street View in areas where I used to live in New England.  Yes, I'm bored.

I lived in Nashua in 2001-2002, and left New England entirely at the end of 2007 to take a new job in the DC area.

I notice that all signs referencing the "welcome center" at Exit 6 off US-3 / the Everett Turnpike in Nashua seems to have been removed.  Its actual location is marked in Google Maps as "Nashua DMV."  Okay.  I seem to recall having to go to City Hall to get license plates and a separate office in Merrimack to get my driver's license.

Anyhow, when did this change occur?  Were other rest areas closed?

mariethefoxy

Quote from: tckma on September 08, 2017, 05:44:48 PM
Been poking around Google Street View in areas where I used to live in New England.  Yes, I'm bored.

I lived in Nashua in 2001-2002, and left New England entirely at the end of 2007 to take a new job in the DC area.

I notice that all signs referencing the "welcome center" at Exit 6 off US-3 / the Everett Turnpike in Nashua seems to have been removed.  Its actual location is marked in Google Maps as "Nashua DMV."  Okay.  I seem to recall having to go to City Hall to get license plates and a separate office in Merrimack to get my driver's license.

The signs say EZPass Walk in Center Exit 6 on Everett. (not a Nashua resident but I've been up there often enough as I dated someone who lived there last year)

tckma

Quote from: mariethefoxy on September 11, 2017, 04:01:22 AM
The signs say EZPass Walk in Center Exit 6 on Everett. (not a Nashua resident but I've been up there often enough as I dated someone who lived there last year)

Lived at Exit 1 and dated someone who lived at Exit 6.  But that was LONG ago.

shadyjay

According to this page.... http://www.vnews.com/Archives/2015/12/NHRestAreas-ndb-vn-121215
.... 4 welcome centers/rest areas were closed in 2011:  Rumney, Antrim, Shelburne and Epsom, so probably Nashua closed about that time. 

SectorZ

https://www.nh.gov/dot/media/nr2010/nr101210nashua.htm

Apparently Nov. 2010

hotdogPi

I have another question.

New England doesn't normally have grids. However, I noticed that in and near Farmington, NH, there is a resemblance to a grid where the axes are NE-SW and SE-NW (45° away from cardinal direction grids). This grid has mostly minor roads, although about 2 miles of NH 75 is aligned with the grid. Ten Rod Rd. (Exit 14 on NH 16) is also aligned to the grid. This grid is nowhere near complete; it might be more accurate to say it's a lot of 45° diagonal roads with no pattern.

Why does this grid exist, especially in a mostly rural area in New England?

(Note: Minor roads inside the Farmington "urban area" are not shown.)

EDIT: https → http so that the image shows again
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alps

Quote from: 1 on December 20, 2017, 09:57:40 AM
I have another question.

New England doesn't normally have grids. However, I noticed that in and near Farmington, NH, there is a resemblance to a grid where the axes are NE-SW and SE-NW (45° away from cardinal direction grids). This grid has mostly minor roads, although about 2 miles of NH 75 is aligned with the grid. Ten Rod Rd. (Exit 14 on NH 16) is also aligned to the grid. This grid is nowhere near complete; it might be more accurate to say it's a lot of 45° diagonal roads with no pattern.

Why does this grid exist, especially in a mostly rural area in New England?

(Note: Minor roads inside the Farmington "urban area" are not shown.)
You're seeing a pattern brought about by topography. Since land occurs in large chunks (1 square mile in the "grid states", smaller in the east), trails will tend to run parallel at a reasonable distance from each other. The first trail follows the bottom of a ridge, the next trails follow suit until another ridge disrupts things. Perpendicular lines also make sense in that context.

froggie

It should also be noted that the "grid" roughly aligns with the town's overall boundaries (not just the "urban area" that Google Maps shows).

bob7374

If you were hoping New Hampshire would soon be joining CT and RI as New England states adopting milepost based exit numbering, you'll be disappointed by the text of this news article:
http://www.concordmonitor.com/highway-exit-numbers-renumber-nh-14082582

yakra

Not a true conditional.
The description of Maine's recent political climate made me lol.  :-D
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

KEVIN_224

http://www.wmur.com/article/nhdot-proposes-widening-interstate-93-in-concord/18205101

The New Hampshire DOT mentioned this possible I-93 widening project on their Facebook page. The story is linked from WMUR-TV (ABC) channel 9 of Manchester.

froggie

^ I'd posted about this in 2014 (albeit in the Fictional Roads folder).  Their current proposal for the 93/393 interchange is noticeably different from what was proposed then.

SectorZ

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 16, 2018, 07:43:09 AM
http://www.wmur.com/article/nhdot-proposes-widening-interstate-93-in-concord/18205101

The New Hampshire DOT mentioned this possible I-93 widening project on their Facebook page. The story is linked from WMUR-TV (ABC) channel 9 of Manchester.

"I'm also active in the local bike pedestrian advocacy with the city and just want to make sure we're not being forgotten,"  said Greg Bakos, vice chair of the Bike Walk Alliance of New Hampshire.

As a cyclist, I loathe these people. What does this have to do with widening 93? Ensuring less traffic jams on 93 automatically makes it better for peds and cyclists because you don't have people trying to avoid the traffic jam.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

SectorZ

kefkafloyd

Every time I go through the Bedford tolls I keep wondering why they didn't put in gantry lanes when they rebuilt it a few years back.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.