News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NY - Sequential vs. Mile Based Exits

Started by Buffaboy, January 25, 2018, 02:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

To be perfectly fair, NYSDOT has recently listed the conversion as an eventual goal.  So, it isn't like it is ignoring it completely.  Like I said, as long as there are other priorities, it isn't going to be done.  FHWA's enforcement on the Cuomo Signs while none on exit numbering shows thay they care about scoring political points over actual enforcement of the MUTCD.

The whole I Love NY signage trouble is somewhat baffling, but have to say Cuomo has a gift for damage control in that regard.  Really hasn't lessened his position that much.  FHWA's dissimilar responses to 1) the signs and 2) the welcome centers indicates to me the signage flare up was more about a federal Republican administration poking at a Democratic governor than actual concern about compliance with regulations.  The I Love NY signage was low-hanging fruit in that regard.

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TML

I would prefer that the NY Thruway maintain its current exit numbering directional scheme while switching to distance-based exit numbers. Here are my calculated new exit numbers for the 87-90 Mainline:

Old ExitNew Exit
11A
21B
32A
42B
6A5
7A10
8A12
13N-S21A-B
14A24
14B28
15A31
21B125
21A134
25A159
29A211
34A277
48A402
50A421
51E-W422A-B
52E-W423A-B
52A425
57A445

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on March 01, 2018, 12:42:22 AM
To be perfectly fair, NYSDOT has recently listed the conversion as an eventual goal.  So, it isn't like it is ignoring it completely.  Like I said, as long as there are other priorities, it isn't going to be done.  FHWA's enforcement on the Cuomo Signs while none on exit numbering shows thay they care about scoring political points over actual enforcement of the MUTCD.

The whole I Love NY signage trouble is somewhat baffling, but have to say Cuomo has a gift for damage control in that regard.  Really hasn't lessened his position that much.  FHWA's dissimilar responses to 1) the signs and 2) the welcome centers indicates to me the signage flare up was more about a federal Republican administration poking at a Democratic governor than actual concern about compliance with regulations.  The I Love NY signage was low-hanging fruit in that regard.

Well, as far as I remember, there is some review of rest area regulations at federal level. Looks like restriction on service areas outlived itself - big service complexes at exits can be connected to highway with very little effect on things. Besides, state operated "taste NY" facilities don't create significant conflict of interests or preferential treatment issues. Those rest areas never were a safety issue, they were commercial thing to begin with. And since no local businesses complain about that (not that I heard of)...
Signs loaded with fine print - and with many of them in a row - are a significant distraction, so I can understand calling those a safety issue.

kalvado

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on February 28, 2018, 09:04:53 PM
Is Governor Cuomo aware of this problem?
Governor Cuomo is very aware of all the issues associated with aging infrastructure. Promoting investment into infrastructure projects are among top priorities of his administration - as evidenced by new  Gov. Mario Cuomo bridge, replacing and old structure; On-going renovation of LaGuardia airport, construction of Second Avenue subway line - and many other smaller projects. Another example of Governor Cuomo dedication to promoting economic growth is a very successful tourism development campaign, covering entire state. Anyone traveling in NY can learn about local attractions using "I love NY" app, freely available for most personal electronic devices, and can sample local produce at "Taste NY" centers located all over the state.
Under the leadership of Gov. Cuomo, NY is dedicated to development of infrastructure, investment in our future. His administration appreciates constructive cooperation of federal authorities in areas of funding, regulation and promoting safety in all modes of travel.
And after that you dare to question some stupid numbering scheme?

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on March 01, 2018, 07:20:53 AM
Besides, state operated "taste NY" facilities don't create significant conflict of interests or preferential treatment issues. Those rest areas never were a safety issue, they were commercial thing to begin with. And since no local businesses complain about that (not that I heard of)...

Certain commercial activities have been prohibited by FHWA regulation in new rest area facilities.  I will just say that I stand by my statement that FHWA's inconsistent enforcement speaks volumes.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on March 01, 2018, 08:36:46 AM
Besides, state operated "taste NY" facilities don't create significant conflict of interests or preferential treatment issues. Those rest areas never were a safety issue, they were commercial thing to begin with. And since no local businesses complain about that (not that I heard of)...

Certain commercial activities have been prohibited by FHWA regulation in new rest area facilities.  I will just say that I stand by my statement that FHWA's inconsistent enforcement speaks volumes.

Few things:
1. FHWA is willing to take another look at those regulations:  https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/09/27/2016-23269/commercial-activities-on-interstate-rest-areas - that can explain lax enforcement.
2. "Taste.." is not a safety issue, and as such can have lower priority
3. There was some action by FHWA. Not much, but still.

seicer

Quote from: kalvado on March 01, 2018, 07:28:54 AM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on February 28, 2018, 09:04:53 PM
Is Governor Cuomo aware of this problem?
Governor Cuomo is very aware of all the issues associated with aging infrastructure. Promoting investment into infrastructure projects are among top priorities of his administration - as evidenced by new  Gov. Mario Cuomo bridge, replacing and old structure; On-going renovation of LaGuardia airport, construction of Second Avenue subway line - and many other smaller projects. Another example of Governor Cuomo dedication to promoting economic growth is a very successful tourism development campaign, covering entire state. Anyone traveling in NY can learn about local attractions using "I love NY" app, freely available for most personal electronic devices, and can sample local produce at "Taste NY" centers located all over the state.
Under the leadership of Gov. Cuomo, NY is dedicated to development of infrastructure, investment in our future. His administration appreciates constructive cooperation of federal authorities in areas of funding, regulation and promoting safety in all modes of travel.
And after that you dare to question some stupid numbering scheme?

That just reads like a handout.

But about Cuomo - infrastructure projects are big wins to any party affiliate if they are built within budget and have no drastic issues. Many of these pet projects that have been built - partly done for maximum political impact, were long ago proposed with plans long ago in place. He just made it happen. Nothing wrong with that.

While I didn't like the rapid succession of I Love New York signs, the branding effort has worked, partly because it was part of a larger tourism scheme. If those issues are resolved, with regional entrance signs (that I personally favor), it'll be another win for Cuomo.

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on March 01, 2018, 09:02:11 AM

Few things:
1. FHWA is willing to take another look at those regulations:  https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/09/27/2016-23269/commercial-activities-on-interstate-rest-areas - that can explain lax enforcement.
2. "Taste.." is not a safety issue, and as such can have lower priority
3. There was some action by FHWA. Not much, but still.
Let's just say I had a front row seat to what went on (well, second row, anyway).  That's why I am not going into a heck of a lot more detail.

J N Winkler

As a tourist in New York, with some awareness of MUTCD issues but no access to the theatre (let alone the front row) for the Cuomo signs controversy between FHWA and NYSDOT, I have a hard time believing that the Cuomo signs moved the needle in terms of tourism promotion.  I am aware that their installation coincides with an increase in tourism revenue, but I suspect this is the result of a recovering economy nationally and would have happened without the signs.

As regards New York being forced by FHWA to convert exit numbers, another sign of FHWA's enforcement priorities is that, AFAIK, no state that currently does not number exits on non-Interstate freeways (as the 2009 MUTCD now requires) has been forced to do so.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

webny99

Quote from: TML on March 01, 2018, 01:12:21 AM
I would prefer that the NY Thruway maintain its current exit numbering directional scheme while switching to distance-based exit numbers. Here are my calculated new exit numbers for the 87-90 Mainline:

I'd prefer the miles be based on the I-87 and I-90 mileage. Not only is this consistent with what is done in other states, it would ensure the miles count up from the appropriate points - the southern and western termini of said routes.

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 01, 2018, 11:22:55 AM
As regards New York being forced by FHWA to convert exit numbers, another sign of FHWA's enforcement priorities is that, AFAIK, no state that currently does not number exits on non-Interstate freeways (as the 2009 MUTCD now requires) has been forced to do so.

I wonder which of the two - mileage based numbers, or numbers on non-interstate freeways, is more likely to be enforced.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on March 01, 2018, 12:32:30 PM
I wonder which of the two - mileage based numbers, or numbers on non-freeways, is more likely to be enforced.

I don't think numbers on non-freeways will ever be enforced, because standard intersections shouldn't have exit numbers anyway.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

webny99

Quote from: 1 on March 01, 2018, 12:35:24 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 01, 2018, 12:32:30 PM
I wonder which of the two - mileage based numbers, or numbers on non-freeways, is more likely to be enforced.

I don't think numbers on non-freeways will ever be enforced, because standard intersections shouldn't have exit numbers anyway.

Oh my  :-D Thanks for that - I meant non-interstate freeways. Fixed.

kalvado

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 01, 2018, 11:22:55 AM
As a tourist in New York, with some awareness of MUTCD issues but no access to the theatre (let alone the front row) for the Cuomo signs controversy between FHWA and NYSDOT, I have a hard time believing that the Cuomo signs moved the needle in terms of tourism promotion.  I am aware that their installation coincides with an increase in tourism revenue, but I suspect this is the result of a recovering economy nationally and would have happened without the signs.
Second that. The app advertised by those signs is also less than very useful for a stranger.

crispy93

Don't know if this was mentioned, but NYSDOT began a signage replacement project in 2016 on the Taconic State Parkway, which included mile-based exit numbers. The interchanges had been unnumbered previously. The last I saw, they got up to mile/exit 45 in Lagrange. The second phase of the project (880911) should be done in 2019. Hopefully this will also install mile markers on the northern-most reaches since they disappear and only reference markers are posted.

Excited by this, I asked NYSDOT if they were going to replace the aging signs on the Palisades Parkway and add mile-based exits. They said they have no plans to replace the signs, but when they do, the exit numbers will be in accordance with federal guidelines (read: yes).

Project 880914 shows sign replacements for Interstate 84, so hopefully the exit numbers will move to mile-based as well.
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

cl94

Quote from: crispy93 on April 06, 2018, 09:46:22 AM
Don't know if this was mentioned, but NYSDOT began a signage replacement project in 2016 on the Taconic State Parkway, which included mile-based exit numbers. The interchanges had been unnumbered previously. The last I saw, they got up to mile/exit 45 in Lagrange. The second phase of the project (880911) should be done in 2019. Hopefully this will also install mile markers on the northern-most reaches since they disappear and only reference markers are posted.

Excited by this, I asked NYSDOT if they were going to replace the aging signs on the Palisades Parkway and add mile-based exits. They said they have no plans to replace the signs, but when they do, the exit numbers will be in accordance with federal guidelines (read: yes).

Project 880914 shows sign replacements for Interstate 84, so hopefully the exit numbers will move to mile-based as well.

I-84 isn't getting mile-based exits. Not gonna happen unless the Feds force it. The Palisades is a strange case, because mileage resets but exit numbers do not. I won't hold my breath there, either.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Did they change the Palisades mileage?  The little brown milemarkers in the 2016 street view show mileage continuing from NJ.

That does bring up an interesting theoretical: if the NY exits did change to mile-based, would the NJ exits also (at least eventually) change?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on April 06, 2018, 01:24:49 PM
Did they change the Palisades mileage?  The little brown milemarkers in the 2016 street view show mileage continuing from NJ.

That does bring up an interesting theoretical: if the NY exits did change to mile-based, would the NJ exits also (at least eventually) change?

I thought it was continuous mileage, too. Wikipedia says it resets. Continuous mileage would be another issue with renumbering. Can someone who has used it recently confirm?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on April 06, 2018, 01:37:33 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 06, 2018, 01:24:49 PM

I thought it was continuous mileage, too. Wikipedia says it resets. Continuous mileage would be another issue with renumbering. Can someone who has used it recently confirm?

Speaking as someone who has recently used it...no, I cannot. :-P

(Only thing I can be sure of is that reference markers reset at the state line, as they always would at any county line. But I honestly haven't noticed whether the mileposts do.)

froggie

I recall MP 19 being just north of the Thruway.  That would suggest the mileposts do not reset.

jp the roadgeek

The PIP is maintained by a separate commission not affiliated with NYSDOT or NJDOT, so if numbers are going to be changed to mileage based numbers, it would have to go through a single commission.  The question is whether or not the numbers and MP's would reset at the NY line or whether the highway is a separate single entity that is exempt from the state line rule.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alps

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 07, 2018, 06:04:46 AM
The PIP is maintained by a separate commission not affiliated with NYSDOT or NJDOT, so if numbers are going to be changed to mileage based numbers, it would have to go through a single commission.  The question is whether or not the numbers and MP's would reset at the NY line or whether the highway is a separate single entity that is exempt from the state line rule.
The state line is not a "rule". The MUTCD recommends, but does not require, mileposts to reset.

machias

Quote from: crispy93 on April 06, 2018, 09:46:22 AM

I think "the exit numbers will be in accordance with federal guidelines" doesn't really indicate the move to distance based numbering in this instance. I'd be very surprised to see numbers be switched during a sign replacement project without a large scale renumbering project in progress across the entire state.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on April 07, 2018, 01:32:40 PM
The state line is not a "rule". The MUTCD recommends, but does not require, mileposts to reset.

The mile markers on I-495 (Capital Beltway) at the American Legion Bridge do not reset.  They continue to increase to the Springfield Interchange (I-95/I-395/I-495), where they reset to follow the I-95 miles (zero milepost at the North Carolina border south of Skippers) to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

My suggestion (also personal opinion) is to help the FHWA by ending all federal regulation of what may (and what may not) be done at rest areas on (mostly federally  funded) Interstates and other freeways with  federal funds in them.  The states should be able to decide if they want the rest areas to remain as they are, or add activities like Taste of New York or add services similar to what are provided by concession holders on older toll-funded freeways. 

Whatever the states decide can be subject to a pro-forma sign-off by the state FHWA Division Office.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

SignBridge

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.