News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

Is there room for a 70 MPH curve? There is an NRHP-protected property on one corner and houses on the other side.

Also, was the weigh station originally a rest area/welcome center? I assume KYTC will be building a new weigh station further up.

codyg1985

Even though a 55 mph curve isn't ideal on a 70 mph freeway, it is certainly better than no freeway at all.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on December 21, 2023, 12:52:36 PM
Updating from @lordsutch and @rickmastfan67 's  posts in the I-69 in Tennessee thread, Since this effects Kentucky too.

Constuction on the Fulton/South Fulton connection from I-69 in KY to I-69 in TN is expected to start in 2028

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3841.900

"TDOT has posted a diagram of the proposed layout for the I-69 state line interchange with US 45E/US 51 at South Fulton on their revamped I-69 page at this link.

The preferred alternative essentially extends TN 214 as a frontage road to meet US 45E at-grade south of the existing interchange and continues it northeast to tie into the Chickasaw Drive/US 45 route. I-69 would have a diamond interchange over US 45E using the existing bridges before curving to tie into the Purchase Parkway about 2000 feet north of the state line. The existing road north of the interchange would lose one of its carriageways and be shifted west to tie into the western Purchase Parkway frontage road crossing State Line Street at grade, which would not be cut off by I-69 (the diagram isn't clear on whether there would be an overpass or underpass here). So there'd no longer be free-flow from the Purchase Parkway to/from US 45E. Also, the existing ramp from US 51 south to TN 214 looks like it will probably be removed to avoid weaving and keep local traffic from using I-69 as a shortcut. This link may or may not work for you without renaming the file. The project construction is currently programmed to start in FY2028.

The page also says the Union City bypass is opening in "early 2024." There is no mention of the Troy bypass either on the page or in the 10-year TDOT plan."

I wondered by curiosity what's the others alternatives looks like?

Rick Powell

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on December 23, 2023, 12:47:22 PM
I wondered by curiosity what's the others alternatives looks like?
Unfortunately the Categorical Exclusion documents are not linked at the TNDOT website, only the overall corridor map and the 2C alternative. According to the text at the TNDOT website, 2C was a refinement of one of 2 build alternative routings, Alternates 1 and 2, that got final consideration. There were apparently a few geometric alternatives for the interchange considered once the general alignment of I-69 was set, but they are not described. From the website:

A Public Meeting was held in 2015 with two proposed alignment alternatives and a no-build option.  The Alternative 1 alignment was located just west of the current interchange of the US 51 Fulton Bypass and US 45E.  Alternate 1 began on US 51/US 45W in Obion County, Tennessee just west of the Rogers Road overpass and projected north crossing the Tennessee/Kentucky state line and terminated along the existing US 51 (Purchase Parkway) corridor in Fulton, Kentucky just west of the current US 51/Nolan Avenue interchange. The Alternate 2 alignment began along existing US 51/US45W just west of the Old Pierce Road overpass and extended to east of the existing US 51/US 45E/US 45W interchange in a northerly direction on new alignment crossing the Tennessee/Kentucky state line and terminated along the US 51 (Purchase Parkway) corridor just north of the Tennessee/Kentucky state line in Fulton, Kentucky.  Alternate 2 had a proposed diamond interchange located at Stateline Road.  The Alternate 1 alignment option further to the west was met with substantial public opposition and as a result the Alternate 2 alignment was carried forward to the environmental document. Ultimately the Alternate 2 alignment was modified to the current preferred Alternate 2C by eliminating the proposed interchange at Stateline Road and reconfiguring the existing interchange at US 51/US 45W/US 45W.

sprjus4

Quote from: seicer on December 21, 2023, 09:07:19 PM
Is there room for a 70 MPH curve? There is an NRHP-protected property on one corner and houses on the other side.

Also, was the weigh station originally a rest area/welcome center? I assume KYTC will be building a new weigh station further up.
This isn't perfect to any degree, but I feel there was definitely room to widen out the radii without impacting the NRHP-protected property to the west side.

Rick Powell

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 10, 2024, 01:40:29 AM
This isn't perfect to any degree, but I feel there was definitely room to widen out the radii without impacting the NRHP-protected property to the west side.
The southbound lanes and exit ramp of I-69 make an under/over movement from State Line Road to US 45. Lengthening the curve cuts the distance for the grade change considerably, but should be in the 2%-3% range climbing southbound. And the SB exit ramp would have a much less desirable angle (or a shorter than desired stopping distance) where it meets US 45 in a traditional diamond design. If the parcel SW of State Line Road isn't off-limits, the SB exit ramp connection could be done with a loop ramp instead. The I-69 SB entrance ramp would be more pinched in its spacing from the TN 214 entrance ramp. Lots of trade-offs to consider here, but there are possibilities.

triplemultiplex

Eh, just modify this concept of mine from fictional to match the curve sprjus4 imposed on the actual plans.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

sprjus4

Quote from: Rick Powell on January 10, 2024, 07:58:06 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on January 10, 2024, 01:40:29 AM
The southbound lanes and exit ramp of I-69 make an under/over movement from State Line Road to US 45. Lengthening the curve cuts the distance for the grade change considerably, but should be in the 2%-3% range climbing southbound. And the SB exit ramp would have a much less desirable angle (or a shorter than desired stopping distance) where it meets US 45 in a traditional diamond design. If the parcel SW of State Line Road isn't off-limits, the SB exit ramp connection could be done with a loop ramp instead. The I-69 SB entrance ramp would be more pinched in its spacing from the TN 214 entrance ramp. Lots of trade-offs to consider here, but there are possibilities.
One possibility could be to realign the southbound ramp altogether... have it simply follow the old roadway so southbound exiting traffic just keeps right while I-69 traffic will bear left to the new curve.

The Ghostbuster

Has anyone heard about this?: https://www.14news.com/2024/01/19/henderson-eying-frontage-road-attract-businesses-along-i-69/. I think it would be a surefire way to attract businesses to the future 69 corridor.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 19, 2024, 04:46:42 PM
Has anyone heard about this?: https://www.14news.com/2024/01/19/henderson-eying-frontage-road-attract-businesses-along-i-69/. I think it would be a surefire way to attract businesses to the future 69 corridor.

Agreed. I especially like that it will have access from both the 41 exit (via the 41/60 cloverleaf) and 60 exit east of Wathen Lane off of 69.  Henderson is thinking ahead and planning for controlled growth, unlike Owensboro, where the Chicken Strip (a/k/a Kentucky 54) sprawl continues unabated.

hbelkins

Tolls may be off the table for the Ohio River bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/live/3CTtO5xRk1w?si=Q6GzWL-la17Hs5-W&t=4294

Forward to 1:11:30 for details

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

theline

Quote from: hbelkins on January 29, 2024, 01:42:04 PM

:clap: :wow:
Now I'll be anxious to hear what Gov. Holcomb has to say about this.

SSR_317

Quote from: theline on January 31, 2024, 01:28:15 AM

Who cares what Holcomb says at this point? He's a lame duck.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SSR_317 on February 06, 2024, 04:46:49 PM

With Indiana only needing a simple majority to override a veto, every governor is a lame duck from day one.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

abqtraveler

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 06, 2024, 05:51:20 PM
Quote from: SSR_317 on February 06, 2024, 04:46:49 PM

With Indiana only needing a simple majority to override a veto, every governor is a lame duck from day one.
That assumes the Governor and the Legislature don't get along. But with Holcomb and both chambers of the Indiana General Assembly being controlled by the same party, there won't be too many instances of things being vetoed.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.