Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: PurdueBill on February 10, 2021, 01:29:55 PM
[Route 141 seems to have numbers that are close enough already for mileage; good enough to stay as they are.

Pretty much, with some minor nitpicks. The US 13/US 40, I-295, and I-95 exits are perfectly accurate, as is DE 4 as Exit 4A (except that it would be 4A in both directions).  The South James St/Old Airport Rd Southbound exit would change from 4B to 3C, DE 62 would change from 5 to 4B, and the DE 2 northbound exits would be 5A and 5B instead of 6A and 6B.  I also would give numbers to a pair of unnumbered interchanges: the DE 52 interchanges would be Exit 8, and the US/DE 202 interchanges would be Exit 11.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alps

Tangential note: States that have been mile-based for decades tend to have more unposted interchanges or even routes, because there's no need to fear the FHWA. US 1/9, NJ 3, NJ 4, NJ 18 through New Brunswick, NJ 208, NJ 495... I could add so many more stretches to this.

74/171FAN

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 05, 2021, 04:54:27 PM
Virtual public meetings are scheduled for the I-95/DE 896 Interchange and the DE 24 Corridor on February 16th and 25th respectively.

The latest documents for the I-95/DE 896 Interchange can be found here.

Also DelDOT is having an upcoming virtual workshop for the Coastal Corridors Transportation Study.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

TheGrassGuy

Please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but the University of Delaware in Newark seems to be the only location in Delaware with "See Inside" images by Google (as opposed to the recently introduced custom imagery that is usually of lower quality).
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Alps on February 11, 2021, 07:38:19 AM
Tangential note: States that have been mile-based for decades tend to have more unposted interchanges or even routes, because there's no need to fear the FHWA. US 1/9, NJ 3, NJ 4, NJ 18 through New Brunswick, NJ 208, NJ 495... I could add so many more stretches to this.
But what is interesting is that some states have added numbers to tiny little short stretches of freeway that previously did not have them.  CT added numbers to SR 796 (the Milford Connector), CT 349 and CT 184, and will add numbers to CT 3, CT 17 and CT 82. All of these are freeways (in the case of CT 17, multiple sections thereof),  that are less than 3 miles in length and/or have 1 or 2 exits.  All but SR 796 were/will be  the result of mileage based conversion (CT 72 was another example 20 years ago, and will be changing again).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alps

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 20, 2021, 09:40:45 PM
Quote from: Alps on February 11, 2021, 07:38:19 AM
But what is interesting is that some states have added numbers to tiny little short stretches of freeway that previously did not have them.  CT added numbers to SR 796 (the Milford Connector), CT 349 and CT 184, and will add numbers to CT 3, CT 17 and CT 82. All of these are freeways (in the case of CT 17, multiple sections thereof),  that are less than 3 miles in length and/or have 1 or 2 exits.  All but SR 796 were/will be  the result of mileage based conversion (CT 72 was another example 20 years ago, and will be changing again).
Most curious. I'll have to hit up Milford again and 3 once it's converted. It's their choice though.

74/171FAN

There will be a virtual information session updating the status of I-95 in Wilmington this upcoming Wednesday.

Also there is also an online public workshop ongoing for the US 13 bridges over the Nanticoke River in Seaford.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 05, 2021, 04:54:27 PM
Virtual public meetings are scheduled for the I-95/DE 896 Interchange and the DE 24 Corridor on February 16th and 25th respectively.

I just want to note that it was mentioned at the DE 24 virtual meeting that the North Millsboro Bypass is currently planned to start construction in 2023.

Alex

Wrapping up site updates for Delaware Highways with December 2020 photos this week, a few things I noticed that were new around the state:

A begin shield for SR 14 was posted at the grade separated intersection with SR 1 in Milford.

What should be an end shield eastbound instead is a confirming marker:

The parclo interchange is a nice addition and I was surprised that it was already completed.

An end sign was added for SR 1 north at the Road A (SR 7) overpass by Christiana Mall:

The ground level signs for SR 3 (Marsh Road) on I-95 northbound were recently replaced:

Per a Facebook post I saw, apparently a brown and white overhead for the John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway was added along I-95 southbound while I was in Delaware. Did not get around to checking that out.

And I was wondering how Maryland handled the transition of U.S. 301 north into a toll road. They posted this set of signs north of MD 313:

But nothing else with an exception of a truck weigh restriction sign indicating that truckers should stay on U.S. 301.

odditude

Quote from: Alex on March 03, 2021, 01:39:59 PM
The ground level signs for SR 3 (Marsh Road) on I-95 northbound were recently replaced:
ah, yes, Marsh Rd

ixnay

Quote from: Alex on March 03, 2021, 01:39:59 PM
I was wondering how Maryland handled the transition of U.S. 301 north into a toll road. They posted this set of signs north of MD 313:

But nothing else with an exception of a truck weigh restriction sign indicating that truckers should stay on U.S. 301.

That truck weight sign comes as you head uphill after crossing the Sassafras river, just before you come to Sassafras Rd./MD 299.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

MASTERNC

Looks like the I-95 construction zone is having a rough first week.  I have periodically checked traffic reports and there is at least one wreck a day.  Today, one blocked the NB ramp into downtown (the car literally wedged itself between the barriers).

Tonytone

Quote from: MASTERNC on March 03, 2021, 08:11:51 PM
Looks like the I-95 construction zone is having a rough first week.  I have periodically checked traffic reports and there is at least one wreck a day.  Today, one blocked the NB ramp into downtown (the car literally wedged itself between the barriers).
Interesting that people are having such a big issue. Philly has I-95 by the stadium's & The 1 going towards Roosevelt Blvd in the same fashion & people manage it well.

I wonder if the people crashing aren't used to tight road conditions or used to city Roads/Highways.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Alps

That always happens with new work zones. Give it time.

jemacedo9

DE has tried to encourage as many people as possible to use I-495 as an alternate...but that doesn't work for people using US 202...there are not really any good alternatives.  DE 141 isn't too bad except for the road work at the I-95 interchange as well.

74/171FAN

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 17, 2021, 07:24:29 PM
A project was recently bid by DelDOT for the I-95/DE 273 Interchange that includes changes on DE 273 WB and the I-95 off-ramps there.

This project will begin on March 15th.

Alex4897

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 04, 2021, 01:32:15 PM
A project was recently bid by DelDOT for the I-95/DE 273 Interchange that includes changes on DE 273 WB and the I-95 off-ramps there.

General plans for this project here.
I kinda wish they'd take it all the way and give the realigned I-95 SB ramp to 273 WB a third right turn lane at the new signal to link directly to the turn lane for Harmony Road.

EDIT: I just looked at the bid tabs document again, whose brilliant idea was it to flip it landscape so you could only fit like two or three table entries onto each page???
👉😎👉

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex4897 on March 04, 2021, 11:36:11 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 04, 2021, 01:32:15 PM

General plans for this project here.
I kinda wish they'd take it all the way and give the realigned I-95 SB ramp to 273 WB a third right turn lane at the new signal to link directly to the turn lane for Harmony Road.

EDIT: I just looked at the bid tabs document again, whose brilliant idea was it to flip it landscape so you could only fit like two or three table entries onto each page???
Im glad they are doing this temporary fix it will resolve that merge for now.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

74/171FAN

An end sign was added for SR 1 north at the Road A (SR 7) overpass by Christiana Mall

I wanted to note that I drove DE 7 in the area last night and the Road A section has now been fully opened to four lanes.

Alex

Additional I-95 construction project coming down the road

QuoteWhile many motorists eyes have been focused on the Restore the Corridor project through downtown Wilmington, contractors will now be starting up a more than year long project reconfiguring the I-95/Route 273 interchange.

On Monday night, March 15, 2021, crews started preliminary work setting up barrier walls and applying new surface striping which will continue during overnight hours this week.

The multi-phase project will ultimately result in a new configuration of several ramps including the I-95 southbound ramp to westbound Route 273 approaching Harmony Road.

Granted that weaving traffic pattern has been a problem for 30 plus years, but another free flow movement bites the dust.

74/171FAN

From DelDOT on the DE 24 WB/DE 30 SB right-turn lane at US 113:  Intersection Improvements on Route 24/Millsboro Highway at US 113

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Mergingtraffic

I drove on I-295 from the Del Mar Bridge and noticed the work is basically done but it still goes down to two lanes before I-95.  Has that project helped at all?  I'm like what's the point if it goes down to two lanes before I-95 anyway?!
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on March 21, 2021, 02:20:15 PM
I drove on I-295 from the Del Mar Bridge and noticed the work is basically done but it still goes down to two lanes before I-95.  Has that project helped at all?  I'm like what's the point if it goes down to two lanes before I-95 anyway?!

Certainly has. It separated the 141 traffic into its own lane.  It added a lane for 295 at the 13/40 exit.

It's still going to back up on the busiest traffic periods, but more than often 95 was already backed up from 95 and 495 traffic. Adding a 3rd lane then ending that lane wouldn't help much when 95 is already jammed.

bluecountry

Few things:

1) I really hope the current construction at the junction of 95/295 south they are adding another lane to help with the merge.
Seems like an awful lot of new pavement just to add a shoulder lane.

2) Prior to 2017 when 295 south of the DEMB was under construction, how many lanes was 295 then vs now?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.