News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2017 Meets

Started by codyg1985, September 30, 2016, 08:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 02, 2016, 10:27:24 PM
I like that there could be four meets in the Western Great Lakes region next year.

What's the fourth one in addition to Twin Cities, Milwaukee, and Kankakee?
-A.J. from Michigan

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on November 03, 2016, 01:12:36 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 02, 2016, 10:27:24 PM
I like that there could be four meets in the Western Great Lakes region next year.

What's the fourth one in addition to Twin Cities, Milwaukee, and Kankakee?

Scott Onson proposed a La Crosse meet if conditions break the right way.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

oscar

A thought for the members in western Canada: How about a meet focusing on active projects in a city out there, such as the ones discussed in the Western Canada Road Projects thread? Calgary and Regina might be possibilities, depending on the likely state of bypass construction by next summer.

I would be a "very unlikely" to host or attend, since I've spent way too much time in western Canada lately, and will be dialing back on my road-tripping in general. But this could work for those of us out there.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: oscar on November 03, 2016, 09:57:50 PM
A thought for the members in western Canada: How about a meet focusing on active projects in a city out there, such as the ones discussed in the Western Canada Road Projects thread? Calgary and Regina might be possibilities, depending on the likely state of bypass construction by next summer.

Western Canada is a place that I desperately want to get to sooner or later. If someone were to host a meet there at some point, I would see what I can do to attend it.

I'm unfortunately starting to think that a road trip to and from Alaska is too much of a pipe dream to be realistic.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

At Birmingham, Alex mentioned the possibility of doing a Florida meet.

I'm anxiously awaiting details on that one. If I had to pick three "long-distance" meets for next year, Florida and Twin Cities would be the two front-runners out of what's already been announced. That would leave a third TBD option.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on November 03, 2016, 10:40:41 PM
Quote from: oscar on November 03, 2016, 09:57:50 PM

Western Canada is a place that I desperately want to get to sooner or later. If someone were to host a meet there at some point, I would see what I can do to attend it.

I'm unfortunately starting to think that a road trip to and from Alaska is too much of a pipe dream to be realistic.

Western Canada sounds like a fun meet idea.  Maybe mix with a stop at the West Edmonton Mall?  There's someplace I've always wanted to try to get to.

Unfortunately, I think I concur about Alaska at this time.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Brandon on November 04, 2016, 02:18:50 PM
Western Canada sounds like a fun meet idea.  Maybe mix with a stop at the West Edmonton Mall?  There's someplace I've always wanted to try to get to.

I would love that. I should clarify... I have been to Vancouver before - but nowhere else in western Canada.

Quote from: Brandon on November 04, 2016, 02:18:50 PM
Unfortunately, I think I concur about Alaska at this time.

Maybe the Alaska trip will be more realistic in a few years... probably not in 2017 though. My husband and I are starting to ponder a trip to Europe in '17.
-A.J. from Michigan

cl94

I agree with Western Canada being one I'd love to attend (if it falls at a time I can go, like early to mid-August).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SSOWorld

I, too am seeing Alaska as unrealistic for 2017 (I have been all along - recent events in family and a change in fiscal responsibility have aggravated it).  My AZ via TX trip may be the last long driving trip I do for the foreseeable future.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

vdeane

Given that my carpool partners are out, that means I'm out as far as Alaska goes as well (unless there's someone else to economically carpool with, though 2017 isn't the best for me either; perhaps a second meet a few years down the road for those of us who want to drive out there but don't find it feasible at this time?).  Now Milwaukee is in the lead for me.  Not sure what my second overnight meet would be; possibly Pittsburg, but Florida could be a contender as well if I could make the logistics work (the trip would be to Key West via I-95 and back via I-75, I-65, and I-71, so considerably longer than just driving to the meet and back).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

You know, a Florida meet that matches up with my spring break would be great...
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Dougtone

Another possibility for a meet that I would like to throw would be in Ashtabula County, Ohio. I've thought about it earlier in the year, thinking about it again. I'd expect it to be somewhat bridge heavy.

cl94

Quote from: Dougtone on November 12, 2016, 06:57:50 AM
Another possibility for a meet that I would like to throw would be in Ashtabula County, Ohio. I've thought about it earlier in the year, thinking about it again. I'd expect it to be somewhat bridge heavy.

I'd be in. Close enough to my parents that I wouldn't have to pay for a hotel, either.

Alex

Quote from: cl94 on November 05, 2016, 11:45:27 PM

I need to get going on this as we are already into mid-November. Was thinking February, March or April is a good time frame, but realize that people need a good amount of heads up time to replan trips, get time off from work, etc. Presidents Day Weekend would incorporate a day off for some, but is getting close to the three month window. Plus if it gets too far into April, temps will be pushing the upper 80s.

I am thinking Orlando is a good place to have one given the number of projects ongoing from Wekiva Parkway to the Ultimate I-4. Jacksonville also has a number of projects and several noteworthy bridges, but is too far for me to do scouting trips easily.

vdeane

Jacksonville would be more likely and logistically easier for me (and potentially much cheaper - my cousin lives there).  It would also fit in well with the idea of driving to Key West (one thought I had was to do Florida "right" by going as far south as one can drive in the continental US; that said, it make the trip substantially longer).

I could make Ashtabula County.  It's in daytrip range of my parents and would allow me to clinch NY 5 (as well as US 20's portion in NY).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

DanTheMan414

I haven't seen much mentioned about a central Great Lakes meet for 2017, and some discussion at the Battle Creek meet today got me thinking, and this is one I am very interested in taking on (possibly with Sean Lyons)...

There has been a bevy of construction in the Toledo vicinity in past 3-5 years, and still in progress, including:

* Widening of 30 miles of I-75 from the southern I-475 interchange southward to Findlay
* Reconstruction of the I-75/I-280 interchange to eliminate left exits/entrances
* Reconstruction of the I-475/US 23 interchange, along with new tie-in ramps to US 20/OH 120, eliminating left exits/entrances
* Reconstruction of the northern I-75/I-475 interchange

2017 would be a good opportunity for a southern Toledo meet (since the US 24 corridor meet was in Maumee, probably with a base in Perrysburg or Rossford).  Since Brandon is doing Kankakee in the spring, I was thinking Toledo might be a possibility for late summer or early fall of 2017.

cl94

Quote from: Alex on November 12, 2016, 09:16:57 AM
Presidents Day Weekend would incorporate a day off for some, but is getting close to the three month window.

That would actually be perfect for me as I have both Monday and Tuesday off. Other than that, the week of St. Patrick's Day would be perfect as well.

froggie

As noted in that thread, I've decided on 8/5 for the Twin Cities meet.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Dougtone on November 12, 2016, 06:57:50 AM

I would consider this one.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

After having been back to the New River Gorge Bridge, and having driven down under it on Fayette Station Road (CR 82) for the first time, I'm thinking it might be a decent centerpiece for a meet.

Early thoughts are to gather at the visitor's center, organize carpools, drive down into the New River Gorge and stop for photos at several spots, then go back to the visitor's center. Everyone would then reconvene in Beckley, where we could check out construction of the new East Beckley bypass, then head out to the short portion of the Coalfields Expressway that's now open. I'm not sure if there's anything else in the Beckley area that would lend itself to a meet, but I think this would be workable.

Preferred dates would be sometime in March or early April, after the time changed but before everything has leafed out so as to give maximum visibility; or the last weekend in October, while DST is still in effect to give more daylight in the evening but most of the leaves have fallen and the leaf-peepers won't be there.

Brandon

Quote from: Alex on November 12, 2016, 09:16:57 AM
Quote from: cl94 on November 05, 2016, 11:45:27 PM

I need to get going on this as we are already into mid-November. Was thinking February, March or April is a good time frame, but realize that people need a good amount of heads up time to replan trips, get time off from work, etc. Presidents Day Weekend would incorporate a day off for some, but is getting close to the three month window. Plus if it gets too far into April, temps will be pushing the upper 80s.

I am thinking Orlando is a good place to have one given the number of projects ongoing from Wekiva Parkway to the Ultimate I-4. Jacksonville also has a number of projects and several noteworthy bridges, but is too far for me to do scouting trips easily.

An Orlando one would be a lot of fun.  I took note that one can fly down to there and back in February for about $200 from Chicago.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

CanesFan27

Quote from: hbelkins on November 16, 2016, 08:19:43 PM
After having been back to the New River Gorge Bridge, and having driven down under it on Fayette Station Road (CR 82) for the first time, I'm thinking it might be a decent centerpiece for a meet.

Early thoughts are to gather at the visitor's center, organize carpools, drive down into the New River Gorge and stop for photos at several spots, then go back to the visitor's center. Everyone would then reconvene in Beckley, where we could check out construction of the new East Beckley bypass, then head out to the short portion of the Coalfields Expressway that's now open. I'm not sure if there's anything else in the Beckley area that would lend itself to a meet, but I think this would be workable.

Preferred dates would be sometime in March or early April, after the time changed but before everything has leafed out so as to give maximum visibility; or the last weekend in October, while DST is still in effect to give more daylight in the evening but most of the leaves have fallen and the leaf-peepers won't be there.

Just have it during bridge day for the experience.

vdeane

Would hotels be very expensive during Bridge Day or something?  I'm considering going down for that one if it happens and wouldn't want to be priced out.

hbelkins

Quote from: CanesFan27 on November 18, 2016, 12:08:29 PM
Just have it during bridge day for the experience.

I wouldn't fight the crowd or the traffic for it. Besides, not only do they completely close the bridge and no longer run two-way traffic in the southbound lane (as they did the two times I've been), but I think they close Fayette Station too, which would negate the whole focal point of the meet (to go down to the river level and see the bridge from below.)

And did I mention that I hate crowds and heavy traffic?

Quote from: vdeane on November 18, 2016, 12:39:07 PM
Would hotels be very expensive during Bridge Day or something?  I'm considering going down for that one if it happens and wouldn't want to be priced out.

Yes. I"m told if there are even any rooms to be found in Beckley, they're marked up tremendously.

cl94

New River Gorge is close enough that I could do it on any weekend, so I'd definitely be in.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.