News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most Names for One Stretch of Road

Started by Pete from Boston, February 25, 2014, 11:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEG24601

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on February 26, 2014, 07:53:44 PM
Somewhat related, but I always found it interesting how in some foreign countries (UK particularly) a continuous roadway will often change street names seemingly randomly, sometimes within blocks of the last change. I assume this has origins in some historical phenomena such as the merger of separate communities, etc. (You see this in a few places in Quebec/Ontario where urban amalgamations have taken place.)

On Whidbey Island, and some other places in Washington, road names change when they change orientation.  This is because the address are based on the grid, and when the road, for example changes from largely E-W to N-S it changes names.  Then, changes names again when it changes jurisdiction.  There is a road here that is 3rd St, Brooks Hill Rd, Bayview Rd, then Ewing Rd.  There is no highway there, but in nearby Snohomish County, SR-524 follows a convoluted route between Edmonds and Bothel, with the underlying road changing names no less than 5 times.  The only place I can recall a road having multiple designations, that weren't the local street/road name and the highway route number was Natio Parkway/Front Street in Portland, OR, which at one time was also OR-99W.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Bruce

In Seattle, a one-block section of Lander Street on Beacon Hill was renamed in honor of an annual festival held in honor of a racial equality activist (SDOT Blog), spawning this condensed and cramped sign:

sammi

Quote from: Bruce on May 16, 2014, 05:50:10 PM

This belongs in the Most pretentious highway designations thread.

Also, this is why we need Series A back. Or better yet, have some sort of limit on street names. :spin:

bing101

I forgot to mention another thing I-10 Santa Monica Freeway is also called Christopher Columbus Highway and Rosa Parks Freeway from Downtown LA to West end @ CA-1.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.