location in the lower 48 farthest from an interstate highway

Started by agentsteel53, June 25, 2013, 09:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

it must be on a public road - and we have to count by driving distance, not as the crow flies, to account for a general lack of infrastructure.

I am thinking it's either eastern Montana along the Canadian border, or somewhere in inner Nevada.

I've got:

end US 191 at Alberta 4, to I-15 in Great Falls, MT: 252 miles
a point on NV-376 which is 256 miles to either the south end of I-580 in Carson City, or I-15 at the US-93 junction never mind; this point is only 181mi from I-80.  Forgot about the existence of NV-305.

but there may be shorter routes from each of those points, especially if you navigate over dirt roads.

anyone have any ideas?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

The end of the Keweenaw Peninsula gets pretty close to those (242 mi to Wausau, more to Duluth or Green Bay).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

didn't think of that one!  243 to Wausau from Schlatter Lake, which is accessed by a narrow dirt road.

jake@aaroads.com

mgk920

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 25, 2013, 09:30:12 PM
didn't think of that one!  243 to Wausau from Schlatter Lake, which is accessed by a narrow dirt road.

How far is that from I-75?

Mike

Brandon

Quote from: mgk920 on June 26, 2013, 11:47:48 AM

Mike

As the crow flies, about the same distance.  As one can actually drive on roads, on land, much further.  Yes, Virginia, the western UP is closer to the freeway system of Wisconsin than that of Michigan.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

So how do we deal with ferries? You can drive all day long and never get from Nantucket to I-495.

deathtopumpkins

Pales in comparsion to some of the western examples, but in up in Allagash, ME you can drive more than 130 miles away from I-95, which is impressive for New England.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

tdindy88

A longer East Coast example would be Key West, FL, about 160 miles from the nearest interstate at I-95.

vdeane

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 26, 2013, 07:17:36 PM
Pales in comparsion to some of the western examples, but in up in Allagash, ME you can drive more than 130 miles away from I-95, which is impressive for New England.
Estcourt Junction is even further, accessible via logging roads in the US or via provincial highways in Quebec.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ChoralScholar

Key West is a pretty good ways from I-95, 180+ I think, but it's not the farthest I'm sure.
"Turn down... on the blue road...."

froggie

Jake:  coincidentally, a GIS analysis "as the crow flies" coincides with the two farthest you came up with:  at/just east of the US 191 Canadian border crossing, and the north end of US 41 on the Keweenaw Peninsula.

Molandfreak

Using a random point on U.S. 395 in Oregon, the closest route to any interstate I could find was to I-84 in Ontario, at 221 miles.
http://goo.gl/maps/qlwo1
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

doorknob60

Quote from: Molandfreak on June 27, 2013, 01:53:51 AM
Using a random point on U.S. 395 in Oregon, the closest route to any interstate I could find was to I-84 in Ontario, at 221 miles.

That point is a bit closer (204 miles) to I-5 in Ashland: http://goo.gl/maps/snJOX

So, go a few miles up the road and you'd be about 212.5 miles from each interstate.

CNGL-Leudimin

Don't forget Alaska! :-P According to Google Maps, Deadhorse is 496 miles away from unsigned I-A2/I-A4 (AK-2/AK-3) junction in Fairbanks.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Scott5114

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 27, 2013, 05:29:09 AM
Don't forget Alaska! :-P According to Google Maps, Deadhorse is 496 miles away from unsigned I-A2/I-A4 (AK-2/AK-3) junction in Fairbanks.

Alaska was intentionally forgotten–it's not in the lower 48!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NWI_Irish96

The Morgan, MT border crossing is 245 miles from I-15.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Molandfreak

Quote from: doorknob60 on June 27, 2013, 02:52:20 AM
Quote from: Molandfreak on June 27, 2013, 01:53:51 AM

That point is a bit closer (204 miles) to I-5 in Ashland: http://goo.gl/maps/snJOX

So, go a few miles up the road and you'd be about 212.5 miles from each interstate.
Ah, I forgot to check I-5 in Ashland!
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

1995hoo

Quote from: NE2 on June 25, 2013, 09:16:59 PM
The end of the Keweenaw Peninsula gets pretty close to those (242 mi to Wausau, more to Duluth or Green Bay).

Since the OP said the distance is via road and other transportation, and not as the crow flies, your comment prompted me to think that somewhere on Isle Royale might be the answer given that you have to take a ferry. But then I remembered that the ferries from Copper Harbor (which is how I went on my lone trip to the island) are not the only ones–there are also ferries from Houghton and, more importantly for this thread, from Grand Portage, Minnesota. It's only about 140 miles from the end of I-35 in Duluth to Grand Portage, so via that route the distance is substantially shorter.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mgk920

Quote from: Brandon on June 26, 2013, 12:29:13 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on June 26, 2013, 11:47:48 AM

As the crow flies, about the same distance.  As one can actually drive on roads, on land, much further.  Yes, Virginia, the western UP is closer to the freeway system of Wisconsin than that of Michigan.

Checking the area on Google maps and aerial images, they show a narrow dirt road (High Rock Bay Rd) that goes around the north side of Schlatter Lake to end at the very tip of the peninsula, several km farther away from I-39 at Rothschild, WI than Mandan Rd mentioned above (remember that I-39 ends at the southeast WI 29 split interchange - the Rothschild interchange).

Mike

Molandfreak

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 27, 2013, 12:38:20 PM

Since the OP said the distance is via road and other transportation, and not as the crow flies, your comment prompted me to think that somewhere on Isle Royale might be the answer given that you have to take a ferry. But then I remembered that the ferries from Copper Harbor (which is how I went on my lone trip to the island) are not the only ones–there are also ferries from Houghton and, more importantly for this thread, from Grand Portage, Minnesota. It's only about 140 miles from the end of I-35 in Duluth to Grand Portage, so via that route the distance is substantially shorter.
Isle Royale doesn't allow vehicular traffic; therefore it doesn't meet the requirements given that it has no public roads.

rte66man

Not a winner (but darn impressive anyway) would be SW Kansas.  I do know Liberal to Shamrock, TX is about 150 miles (so is Liberal to Oakley and I-70), so anywhere west and north would be more.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

1995hoo

Quote from: Molandfreak on June 27, 2013, 12:46:52 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 27, 2013, 12:38:20 PM

Isle Royale doesn't allow vehicular traffic; therefore it doesn't meet the requirements given that it has no public roads.

Somehow I overlooked the very first sentence of the original post. D'oh.  :verymad:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cabiness42 on June 27, 2013, 08:04:49 AM

along what routing?  I actually get 256 via the Google default routing of 191 to Malta, 2 to Havre, 87 to Great Falls and then west on Central Ave. to exit 280 of I-15.

jake@aaroads.com

Molandfreak

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 27, 2013, 12:53:13 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on June 27, 2013, 08:04:49 AM

along what routing?  I actually get 256 via the Google default routing of 191 to Malta, 2 to Havre, 87 to Great Falls and then west on Central Ave. to exit 280 of I-15.
Via dirt roads make it shorter.

http://goo.gl/maps/SDiFk

agentsteel53

I got it down to 380km, which is 235 miles.

http://goo.gl/maps/za8X5

(good job idiot google maps switching to kilometers when the start point is within ~5 miles of Canada, despite the fact that the entire route is in the US.)

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.