News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 269

Started by Chris, July 19, 2009, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATLRedSoxFan

So, if I'm following and reading this correctly, I-269 will be completed before I-69 in MS and TN?

NE2

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on May 14, 2013, 05:38:57 PM
So, if I'm following and reading this correctly, I-269 will be completed before I-69 in MS and TN?
No shit. I doubt I-69 will ever be completed in MS.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ATLRedSoxFan

Reminds me of Indy, I-465 was completed before I-65/70 and I-69 were even built through town, and we know the story with I-74 multiplexed with I-465.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 12, 2013, 10:31:49 PM
In looking at MDOT's I-269 construction schedule map posted upthread, it looks like only two more sections need to have their initial lettings:
STA 240+00 to SR 305, and East of Mason Road to SR 302.
Quote from: Grzrd on May 14, 2013, 12:16:33 PM
One on deck awarded on May 14; one last MS I-269 segment to go! (page 3/4 of pdf):
STP-0029-02(015) / 102556311
DESOTO COUNTY - SR 304 Relocation/I-269 from STA. 240+00 (east of Malone Road) to Station 525+00 (east of SR 305)

I completely missed the letting for East of Mason Road to SR 302.* This MDOT Press Release says that it, and thus all of I-269 in Mississippi, is now under construction:

Construction recently began on the last section of Interstate 269 in Marshall County; which will add over six miles of newly constructed four-lane roadway from Shinault Road to Highway 302. With this final part of I-269 in Mississippi underway, all sections are now in the construction phase ....
The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) has contracted with James Construction Group, LLC of Baton Rouge, La., to begin work on a $68.5 million four-lane project which includes several improvements including grade, drain and bridge work, the construction of a new interchange at Highway 309 and a new river crossing at Coldwater.

edit *

MDOT awarded the contract on July 9:

DB/STP-0029-03(009)/102556-304000
MARSHALL COUNTY - Design and Construction of SR 304 / I-269 Project
JAMES CONSTRUCTION GROUP, LLC
11200 INDUSTRIPLEX, STE 150
BATON ROUGE, LA 70809
$68,511,578.53

This project is a "Design-Build" project and it apparently went through a different process than typical lettings.  The "Apparent Best Value" was calculated to be from James Construction Group on June 28.

Strider

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on May 14, 2013, 08:04:16 PM
Reminds me of Indy, I-465 was completed before I-65/70 and I-69 were even built through town, and we know the story with I-74 multiplexed with I-465.

What story with I-74 and I-465?

ATLRedSoxFan

In Indy, I-65 and 70 weren't completed until the late 70's, whereas I-465 was built first in the 60's and tagged onto I-65, 70 as well as I-69 outbound only. IIRC, as I was only a child myself, there was a lot of controversy as to getting the expressways into the city, people didn't want neighborhoods destroyed vs. Indiana's largest city and capitol not to be served by an interstate, least as I was told by my grandad, an Indiana native. That's why "as I understand it" I-74 got tagged on to I-465 as it really had no where to go. They(I-65/70) eventually got built, but took a while compared to other similar sized cities at the time, that already had expressways/interstates.

Strider

so you mean that before I-65/70 went through the town, they either stopped at I-465 or go around it?

ATLRedSoxFan

Yeah, that's basically it and even though I-65 for the most part was complete going south toward Louisville, northbound was only complete maybe 50 miles or so north. Same holds true with I-70.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on July 25, 2013, 08:31:12 AM
I completely missed the letting for East of Mason Road to SR 302.* This MDOT Press Release says that it, and thus all of I-269 in Mississippi, is now under construction:
Construction recently began on the last section of Interstate 269 in Marshall County .... which includes ... a new river crossing at Coldwater
*This project is a "Design-Build" project and it apparently went through a different process than typical lettings.  The "Apparent Best Value" was calculated to be from James Construction Group on June 28.

The Legal Notice for the project indicates that MDOT provided the plans for most of this segment, except for the Coldwater River crossing:

The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) intends to solicit proposals for Design/Build services to complete the grading, drainage and bridges for the new SR 304 / I-269 from east of Mason Road at Station 878+00.00 to south of SR 302 at Station 1205+00.00. The Project will be approximately 6.2 miles of mainline construction with multiple grade separation bridges and one hydraulic bridge.
MDOT will provide complete signed and sealed construction plans for the project except the SR 304 / I-269 crossing of Coldwater River. The minimum length of the Coldwater River bridge shall be 4,052 ft. The Coldwater River crossing will require the use of design and construction methods that limit construction activity from the existing ground. The Design-Build Team may develop roadway and bridge plans in lieu of the MDOT supplied plans provided the alternatives are in accordance with the Request for Proposal (RFP). The Design-Build Team will be responsible for the development of erosion control plans in compliance with the current regulations for storm water runoff/erosion control for the entire project.

It will be interesting to see what type of bridge the Design-Build Team will design.

lordsutch

Quote from: Grzrd on July 30, 2013, 12:35:05 PM
It will be interesting to see what type of bridge the Design-Build Team will design.

The Coldwater isn't really much more than a glorified creek this far upstream. My guess is it will employ offsite precast segmental construction, like the non-signature span portions of the East Bay Bridge replacement did.

Grzrd

Quote from: lordsutch on August 01, 2013, 10:07:47 PM
The Coldwater isn't really much more than a glorified creek this far upstream.

This July 22 TV video report discusses how flooding of the Coldwater River, and nearby Short Fork and Pidgeon [sic?] Roost Creeks, has led to the installation of safety gates on Holly Springs Road, which is near the I-269 Corridor:

When it rains, Short Fork and Pidgeon Roost Creeks fill up fast, along with the Coldwater River.
That can make travel along Holly Springs Road dangerous, if not deadly if you slide off the road ....
Holly Springs Road runs along the Coldwater River bottoms where at least two other creeks flow through.
For years, this has been a problem area for motorists who think they can make it across the flooded road and end up in the water.

Some motorists made it, others didn't.
"You're done for, because it's gonna be deep there and you're not gonna be able to get out,"  Lee explained.
But now, DeSoto County has put up a removable gate that lets them close the road down whenever conditions get dangerous ....
DeSoto County has set aside money to build a bridge across this dangerous stretch, but so far, can't get the state and Federal Government to contribute.
Lee hopes with I-269 coming nearby, that money might become available before somebody else ends up in the water on this dangerous road.

The video report also has footage of an interesting sign:

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on July 06, 2012, 09:45:13 PM
the paving project for the final 8.294 miles of the TN 385 section of I-269 will be let on August 3 (page 7/8 of pdf):
SHELBY AND FAYETTE COUNTIES (Contract No. CNL263) Call No. 034
Project No. NH-I-269(19), 79469-3106-44, 24269-3104-44
The paving on I-269 (S.R. 385) beginning at S.R. 57 (Poplar Avenue) and extending to S.R. 193 (Macon Road).
Project Length - 8.294 miles
Completion Time - On or before September 30, 2013

An email update from TDOT indicates that the paving project is now scheduled to be completed November 30:

The completion for the paving on the last section between SR57 and SR193 is November 30, 2013.

codyg1985

Google Street View has been updated along I-22/US 78 to show construction at the I-269 interchange: http://goo.gl/maps/euauE

MS 178 has also been updated around I-269 which shows more views of the bridges being constructed: http://goo.gl/maps/z9Jix
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

jpi

I was in Memphis Monday night for The Eagles concert, while I was in the area I checked out the progress on the I-269 construction, lots of progress since I was out in the area in March,  The fly-over for north bound I-269 to west bound TN 385 is in full swing, overpasses are being built over US 72 just south of the exit and lots of gradeing is being done. The missing link under construction between TN 193 and TN 57 has fresh black top down so this may be opening by the end of the year.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

NE2

Quote from: jpi on October 16, 2013, 04:17:30 PM
The fly-over for north bound I-269 to west bound TN 385
Which will carry much of the I-22 traffic to/from Memphis.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jpi

Agreed, makes me wonder if there is an option to route I-22 on to that section of TN 385, then it would end at I-240, or extend it on to I-240 to end at I-55\ future I-69) TN 385 is pretty much up to interstate standards.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

lordsutch

Quote from: jpi on October 17, 2013, 12:12:10 AM
Agreed, makes me wonder if there is an option to route I-22 on to that section of TN 385, then it would end at I-240, or extend it on to I-240 to end at I-55\ future I-69) TN 385 is pretty much up to interstate standards.

385 is somewhat substandard - you'd probably need to widen the shoulders, and the six-lane section in particular has a couple of tight curves.  FHWA might also insist on widening the viaduct between Kirby and Riverdale, which has some serious weaving issues.  Honestly I don't see TDOT caring enough to seek the designation, especially since they could have sought funding for upgrading Lamar but haven't.

Besides, if your destination is downtown, 269 west to 55/69 north would be more direct than 269 north to 385 west to 240 west.

jpi

True on the downtown destination part, the shoulders are a little small, overall 385 does remind me of Vietnam Vets PKY (TN 386) on the north side of Nashville.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Grzrd

The missing link under construction between TN 193 and TN 57 has fresh black top down so this may be opening by the end of the year.

This article, primarily about a speculative warehouse building, confirms your guess:

By December, the final stretch of Tenn. 385 between Poplar Avenue and Macon Road is expected to open ...

The fly-over for north bound I-269 to west bound TN 385 is in full swing, overpasses are being built over US 72 just south of the exit and lots of gradeing is being done.

The above-linked article also indicates that Mississippi and Tennessee will open the section from MS 302 (Goodman Road) to TN 385 by the end of 2014:

the first leg of Interstate 269 from Goodman Road to Tenn. 385 is expected to open by the end of 2014.

Grzrd

This TV video report includes some helicopter-footage of I-269 construction:

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 21, 2013, 08:54:12 AM
The missing link under construction between TN 193 and TN 57 has fresh black top down so this may be opening by the end of the year.
This article, primarily about a speculative warehouse building, confirms your guess
By December, the final stretch of Tenn. 385 between Poplar Avenue and Macon Road is expected to open ...

This TV video reports that the ribboncutting for the TN 385/Future I-269 "missing link" will be November 22 and that it will be open to traffic on November 30:

By the end of November, the new portion of 385 connecting Millington to Collierville will be open.
TDOT is planning a ribbon cutting to celebrate the opening Friday, November 22 ....
TDOT says the entire span of 385 will not be open until November 30th.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 14, 2013, 04:34:17 PM
This TV video reports that the ribboncutting for the TN 385/Future I-269 "missing link" will be November 22 and that it will be open to traffic on November 30

CORRECTION: This TDOT press release states this section of TN 385 will open to traffic at 4:00 p.m. on Friday, November 22, 2013:

Tennessee Department of Transportation Commissioner John Schroer will join former Tennessee Gov. Winfield Dunn as well as state and local officials in Collierville, Tennessee on Friday, November 22, 2013 to open the last segment of SR 385 ....
Friday's event will begin at 10:00 a.m. CDT at Collierville's Town Hall and will end at approximately 12:00 p.m. on the southbound lanes of SR 385 at SR 57. A motorcade will begin at the Town Hall at approximately 10:45 a.m., traveling to the northbound on ramp to SR 385 at SR 57. In the event of rain, the motorcade will not take place.
*Special Note: SR 385 will officially open to traffic at 4:00 p.m. on Friday, November 22, 2013.

Open in time for a Thanksgiving drive!

codyg1985

It might be time for a quickie road trip to Memphis this weekend!

It is also interesting that it makes no mention of I-269 in that press release.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: Sykotyk on July 20, 2009, 12:04:08 AM
Question:

With that layout, will the new I-22 (current US-78) ever reach I-240? Or will it simply end at I-269 or follow I-269 west to I-69 or north to I-40, etc?

That stretch of US-78 looks like it'd need some major work, or be aligned elsewhere, to make I-22 continue to I-240/I-40.

Sykotyk

I believe that I-22 will multiplex I-269 to the west and end at the junction of I-55/I-69. This section of I-269 is currently under construction and will allow I-22 to connect to another interstate near Memphis finally .....
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

jpi

I would like to road trip out there myself this weekend but I will be in the opposite end of the state in UT country for a toy show this Saturday.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.