News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 269

Started by Chris, July 19, 2009, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: mwb1848 on March 10, 2014, 09:54:10 PM
...or Tennessee could just get with the program and just upgrade US 78 to I-240.

It really has little, if any, significance, but the Memphis Area inset on the Mississippi Highway Travel Map shows Future I-22 on US 78 in Tennessee:

An oddity if nothing else.

mwb1848

Peer pressure?  :-P

More to the point, it's gotta be frustrating that Mississippi and Tennessee have cooperated on the development of I-269, but can't seem to get on the same page when it comes to I-22.

SFPredsFan

TDOT is in the EIS phase to upgrade US 78 to from the MS state line to I-240 to Interstate status for I-22 but the ROW is a HUGE problem through some of the industrial area's in SE Memphis. I read they are ready to let the contract to upgrade a part of Lamar Ave. from Shelby to Winchester to freeway status and have budgeted this year to acquire the ROW to upgrade it from the state line to Shelby. It would seem to me the best way to avoid clearing so much ROW all the way to I-240 would be to double deck part(s) of the highway with frontage roads on each side of the new freeway. But the earthquake potential in Memphis might not make that possible. California has done away with most double deck freeways except for I-280 in SF and some bridges and to be honest when I lived in SF and drove I-280 I was nervous as hell driving it. It felt like a rollercoaster at high speeds and the double deck felt like it was settling in some spots.

froggie

Even if they double-decked the mainline, they'd have to clear out right-of-way on at least one side of Lamar in order to build the frontage roads.  I just don't see it happening.

SFPredsFan

I was thinking about that and TDOT could force those businesses to use backside streets. It would be cheaper and better than taking the ROW and almost all of the businesses are industrial so it's not like they need their front door car/truck entrance on the highway. A double deck would only be needed for a mile or maybe 2 miles but again the earthquake potential might make the entire idea of double decking mute. Memphis will turn into quicksand in the next earthquake. That city is going to be in ruins when the next New Madrid quake hits.

codyg1985

^ I see a double-deck freeway a non-starter in that area, especially due to earthquakes and making that area even more of an eyesore. Backage roads might do well, as you said. I am not sure if TDOT intends on upgrading Lamar to full interstate standards. I thought the plan was to simply replace major intersections with interchanges, but I could be wrong.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

SFPredsFan

The US 78/Lamar study was completed back in 2011 and the recommendations from TDOT on the consultants study was a 8 lane full controlled Interstate freeway with no at grade crossings rather than the no-build or widening with at grade options. Frontage roads are being considered but ROW is a problem with businesses so close to US 78 so that's why I thought backside access would work. The double deck is a long shot indeed but nothing you can do to that area will make it look any better. There's almost no housing and it's all heavy industrial, railroad, and trucking depots. That area wouldn't even need any noise wall barriers except right near I-240 on the east side of Lamar where there's a couple of small subdivisions.

http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/documents/LamarAvenueCorridor_June2011.pdf

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: froggie on March 11, 2014, 09:41:59 PM
Even if they double-decked the mainline, they'd have to clear out right-of-way on at least one side of Lamar in order to build the frontage roads.  I just don't see it happening.

I would tend to agree with your assessment Adam. Just don't see I-22 or an I-x22 happening any further north than the TN/MS state line due to the commercial development. Besides, I have heard that it is almost certain that I-22 is going to follow I-269 to junction I-55/69 in Hernando.
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

Grzrd

MDOT has issued a News Release announcing that Mississippi's I-269 construction has reached the halfway point:

All phases of the project are under construction with several more than halfway complete. In October 2013, one section of the project, from SR 302 to the Tennessee state line in Marshall County was completed. Paving for this section will take place later this spring.
I-269 in Mississippi is composed of seven individual projects that total approximately 25 miles of four-lane highway in Desoto and Marshall Counties. Construction on this $268 million interstate project began in 2011 and is scheduled for completion in the fall of 2015 ....
Transportation Commissioner Mike Tagert ....
"This is more than just a bypass around Memphis,"  said Tagert. "The construction of I-269 will transform the region by connecting local communities in several states and will have far-reaching international implications."

The News Release also has two photos:

The MS 302 interchange:

The US 78/Future I-22 interchange:

Chris

Google released some new imagery of the Memphis area. It's not yet in Google Maps, but it is in Google Earth. For some reason Google is very late with updating Google Maps and releasing the update KML lately. This imagery has been in Google Earth for over a month now.

This is a set of bridges immediately east of the US 78 interchange

Henry

Quote from: I94RoadRunner on March 14, 2014, 11:03:36 PM
Quote from: froggie on March 11, 2014, 09:41:59 PM

I would tend to agree with your assessment Adam. Just don't see I-22 or an I-x22 happening any further north than the TN/MS state line due to the commercial development. Besides, I have heard that it is almost certain that I-22 is going to follow I-269 to junction I-55/69 in Hernando.
I have reason to believe the same thing.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mwb1848

Mississippi's obsession with clover-leafs with C/D roads will create several situations in which drivers have to exit the mainlanes of a freeway to stay on the interstate.

• From I-69 NB to I-55/69 NB near Hernando
  • From I-55/69 SB to I-69 SB near Hernando
  • From I-22 WB to I-22/269 WB near Byhalia (assuming that's the chosen route)
  • From I-22/269 EB to I-22 EB
Adds to a pretty frustrating lack of strategic visioning.

SSF

Chris-your pic is 269 over the old US 78, now Mississippi 178.  I drove that route a few weeks ago and that is a fairly recent pic of the whole area.

thefro

This says "I-69 trade belt" but I assume it's refering to I-269 based on the description

QuoteHERNANDO, Miss. (AP) – DeSoto County will borrow $83 million through the state to keep work going on the Interstate 69 project.

The Interstate 69 trade belt from Mexico to Canada includes 25 miles of four-lane highway from Interstate 55 near Hernando through DeSoto and Marshall counties to the Tennessee state line. Work began in 2011 with completion expected in fall 2015.

"It's necessary, because without this, construction would stop," said Board of Supervisors President Lee Caldwell of Nesbit about issuing bonds for the $83 million.

"And it won't take from the taxpayers of DeSoto County," she told The Commercial Appeal (http://bit.ly/1lNbsMe ) after Monday's action.

The transportation agency has no bonding authority, but local governments do. Under the program, the funds are repaid by the Federal Highway Administration through the state Transportation Department.

DeSoto supervisors also agreed to increase the overall funding cap from $275 million to $375 million. Marshall County has taken similar action.

Northern District Transportation Commissioner Mike Tagert recently told supervisors that construction is underway on all phases of the seven-part project, with several more than halfway done. However, Tagert said funding wasn't halfway done, noting the final phases of paving and asphalt overlays would be the most expensive.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/DeSoto-Co-supervisors-approve-I-69-bonds-5385146.php

Grzrd

Quote from: thefro on April 08, 2014, 11:15:14 AM
This says "I-69 trade belt" but I assume it's refering to I-269 based on the description

This article confirms that it is I-269:

Early estimates that it would take upward of $275 million to construct I-269, the proposed super highway between Mexico and Canada, were off the mark – at least $100 million off the mark, according to financial consultants who appeared before DeSoto County Supervisors Monday.

The article also notes that the additional money is needed in part because paving costs had not been included in the earlier estimates  :ded: :

Previously, DeSoto County had participated with MDOT on a $192 bond issuance for I-269. Now, MDOT is in need of another $83 million to continue.
Ironically, paving costs were not included in the earlier estimates. The $83 million would be used in part to pave I-269 from Interstate 55 up to State Highway 302.

Alps

Quote from: Grzrd on April 08, 2014, 11:27:08 AM
Quote from: thefro on April 08, 2014, 11:15:14 AM

This article confirms that it is I-269:

Early estimates that it would take upward of $275 million to construct I-269, the proposed super highway between Mexico and Canada, were off the mark – at least $100 million off the mark, according to financial consultants who appeared before DeSoto County Supervisors Monday.

The article also notes that the additional money is needed in part because paving costs had not been included in the earlier estimates  :ded: :

Previously, DeSoto County had participated with MDOT on a $192 bond issuance for I-269. Now, MDOT is in need of another $83 million to continue.
Ironically, paving costs were not included in the earlier estimates. The $83 million would be used in part to pave I-269 from Interstate 55 up to State Highway 302.
What's ironic about it? "Unusually" or "notably," perhaps.

froggie

Par for the course for Mississippi.  They have LONG separated major road projects into two contracts...one for grading and bridges, then a second contract for paving after the first contract is finished or close to it.  Only rarely will they combine the two into a single contract.

TrevorB

First new news story about I-269 in quite a while just came out.

The story essentially gave some general updates and showed work on the I-22 (US-78) interchange. The story just ran on the 6pm news so the video isn't up yet on the page...but it should be soon. They also used the photo on the first page of this thread on the article. For some reason the title is "I-69" but the article is about 269. Guess there's a lot of new numbers coming in at once for the media to learn.

Grzrd

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 25, 2012, 04:39:11 PM
Included as part of the presentation materials for the Desoto County, Mississippi I-269 Corridor Study is a map showing MDOT's I-269 construction schedule:

MDOT's Five Year Plan, as of September 15, 2014, shows that the three paving projects needed to complete Future I-269 from I-55 to MS 302 will be let in 2016:

This may or may not represent a slight delay from the previous August, 2015 projections, depending on how fiscal years are defined.

ATLRedSoxFan

Henry

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on September 16, 2014, 10:27:47 AM
I've never seen freeway overpasses built like that! I'm assuming that this will become part of a longer viaduct?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on September 16, 2014, 08:43:39 AM
MDOT's Five Year Plan, as of September 15, 2014, shows that the three paving projects needed to complete Future I-269 from I-55 to MS 302 will be let in 2016 ....
This may or may not represent a slight delay from the previous August, 2015 projections, depending on how fiscal years are defined.

This September 15 MDOT Project Update states that I-269 construction in Mississippi is on schedule:

Construction continues on schedule for the I-269 project in North Mississippi, according to the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT).
All phases of the project are under construction with several more than halfway complete. Contractors continue earthwork and bridge construction, while paving operations on one section of the project, from SR 302 to the Tennessee state line in Marshall County, began earlier this summer.
I-269 in Mississippi is composed of seven individual projects that total approximately 25 miles of four-lane highway in Desoto and Marshall Counties. Construction on this over $640 million interstate project began in 2011. This project is made available by the sale of H.E.L.P. bonds.

lordsutch

MDOT's Five Year Plan, as of September 15, 2014, shows that the three paving projects needed to complete Future I-269 from I-55 to MS 302 will be let in 2016:

Mississippi's fiscal year for year x runs July 1, (x-1) through June 30, (x). With the construction being bond-funded it shouldn't be delayed unless DeSoto County just can't sell the bonds for some reason.

Grzrd

MDOT's Five Year Plan (as of October 2) has a 2015 letting scheduled for what I think is preliminary engineering for the Marshall County paving project:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.