News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pittsburgh - August 10th, 2019

Started by noelbotevera, August 30, 2018, 02:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Postmeet Activities

Kennywood Amusement Park
1 (16.7%)
Bridge tour (Three Sisters, West End)
4 (66.7%)
Tunnel tour (Wabash, Armstrong, Liberty)
4 (66.7%)
Nike missile sites
2 (33.3%)
Monroeville Mall
4 (66.7%)
Bigelow Mosaic (in case I choose not to have it on the tour)
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

noelbotevera

Could possibly be the first roadmeet I host. It can't be June because I plan on traveling to Montreal or the Philippines (depends on money). However, I feel like that Pittsburgh is long overdue. So, let's have a meet on it. Currently I'm thinking of ideas - if somebody has suggestions I can list them here.

Possible highlights:
Southern Beltway (should be completed around this time)
PA 28 freeway conversion
PA 43 construction (not sure if that's started yet)

If time permits, use the Duquesne Incline/drive up McArdle Roadway and take photos atop Mount Washington (possible meet photo?)

Possible lunch place: TBD, because the chances of finding an empty parking space in a downtown area is one in a trillion
Possible pre-meet idea: PA 837/PA 885 interchange

Alps

Finally! Long overdue indeed. Pick a lunch location that can accommodate a crowd. Get feedback from those who have attended Pittsburgh meets before so you're not duplicating. In the end, make it yours.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Alps on August 30, 2018, 06:49:57 PM
Finally! Long overdue indeed. Pick a lunch location that can accommodate a crowd. Get feedback from those who have attended Pittsburgh meets before so you're not duplicating. In the end, make it yours.
I'm not even sure if there's ever been a Pittsburgh meet. If there has it's probably been over 10 years at this point.

I suppose I could throw a few more ideas on. If any locals have any better ideas feel free to add them.

PAHighways

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 30, 2018, 06:57:29 PM
I'm not even sure if there's ever been a Pittsburgh meet. If there has it's probably been over 10 years at this point.

There were many held between 1999 and 2006, with the latter being the first multi-day national meet.  The last SWPA Meet was held in December 2010 but it was not focused on Pittsburgh.

The reason there hasn't been a meet in a long time is because we covered a lot in those years.  For example, everything on your list except for the 28 upgrade and the 837/885 interchange has been covered during previous meets.

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 30, 2018, 06:57:29 PMI suppose I could throw a few more ideas on. If any locals have any better ideas feel free to add them.

I can understand wanting to have lunch at the original Primanti Brothers, but parking in the Strip District is scarce on weekdays and pretty much non-existant on weekends.  Meets have been held at the Pleasant Hills and North Versailles locations because people could leave their cars there during the tour without having to pay for parking.  Out of all of the meets, only one prior to the national meet was held inside the city limits due to the parking situation.

Turnpike 576 makes for a good centerpiece of a meet, which it has been in previous years along with Turnpike 43.  Laurel Hill Tunnel is on the Westmoreland County/Somerset County line and is an hour and change from downtown Pittsburgh.

noelbotevera

Quote from: PAHighways on August 30, 2018, 07:41:59 PM

There were many held between 1999 and 2006, with the latter being the first multi-day national meet.  The last SWPA Meet was held in December 2010 but it was not focused on Pittsburgh.

The reason there hasn't been a meet in a long time is because we covered a lot in those years.  For example, everything on your list except for the 28 upgrade and the 837/885 interchange has been covered during previous meets.

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 30, 2018, 06:57:29 PMI suppose I could throw a few more ideas on. If any locals have any better ideas feel free to add them.

I can understand wanting to have lunch at the original Primanti Brothers, but parking in the Strip District is scarce on weekdays and pretty much non-existant on weekends.  Meets have been held at the Pleasant Hills and North Versailles locations because people could leave their cars there during the tour without having to pay for parking.  Out of all of the meets, only one prior to the national meet was held inside the city limits due to the parking situation.

Turnpike 576 makes for a good centerpiece of a meet, which it has been in previous years along with Turnpike 43.  Laurel Hill Tunnel is on the Westmoreland County/Somerset County line and is an hour and change from downtown Pittsburgh.
I guess choosing a restaurant downtown was a poor choice. Does Pittsburgh build parking garages around the city or no? I know that major subway stations provide parking (like North Side), but I'm not sure of anywhere else.

Okay, the Laurel Hill Tunnel was a little outrageous.

But thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't aware of any Pittsburgh meets, so I assumed that people had forgotten about it.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 30, 2018, 07:55:10 PM
But thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't aware of any Pittsburgh meets, so I assumed that people had forgotten about it.

Pittsburgh is just a figment of your imagination. It's never existed.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

noelbotevera

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on August 30, 2018, 09:45:31 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on August 30, 2018, 07:55:10 PM

Pittsburgh is just a figment of your imagination. It's never existed.
Huh. Maybe I need to update my reality simulation to the newest version.

webny99

Pittsburgh is the nearest metro area in which I haven't done at least some degree of exploring.
I've driven through the area on I-79, but I don't think that counts.

briantroutman

^ I think it counts in the same way that buzzing by on the Thruway counts as "exploring"  Rochester.

But as to the concept of a Pittsburgh meet–yes, I'd definitely be on board!

Brandon

Quote from: Alps on August 30, 2018, 06:49:57 PM

I suppose I could throw a few more ideas on. If any locals have any better ideas feel free to add them.

Don't worry too much about some duplication.  It's been quite some time since the last Pittsburgh meet, and some of us (me included) have never been to one there.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

PHLBOS

A Pittsburgh meet might be doable for me; but again & as usual, such would be subject to my availability.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

dgolub

I'm interested.  I haven't been to Pittsburgh yet, so this will be new for me.  Also, it'll be close enough that I can Ohio to the list of states that I've visited.

webny99

Quote from: briantroutman on August 31, 2018, 02:50:08 PM
^ I think it counts in the same way that buzzing by on the Thruway counts as "exploring"  Rochester.

Read: not at all. You get just the fringes of suburbia in both cases. And yes, I agree with your assessment.

hbelkins

I've done two meets in little Pikeville, Ky., so given the amount of time between the last Pittsburgh meet and the proposed one, there shouldn't be any issues.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Just learned that there are state name I-279 shields on Camp Home Road north of the city. Whether or not that fits on the tour I can't say, but all should be aware of it to make sure they see it. Hopefully still around in a year!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Alps on September 01, 2018, 12:10:32 AM
Just learned that there are state name I-279 shields on Camp Home Road north of the city. Whether or not that fits on the tour I can't say, but all should be aware of it to make sure they see it. Hopefully still around in a year!

There's quite a few around still if you know where to look.

hbelkins

Neville Island is full of state-named I-79 markers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

Well, I am interested but the month of July may be a bad month for me to go to any meet, I am aiming for my 6th road trip to the southwest region of the USA in July, as for August that might be more doable for me, will keep it on the back of my mind.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

For a long time I've been hoping that someone would host another Pittsburgh meet because I never had a chance to attend any of the previous Pittsburgh meets that took place between 1999 and 2010. This would give me a very good reason to finally explore the Pittsburgh area which is something I've been wanting to do for a while.

The only thing is... I know that Jason Ilyes was talking about hosting a meet in Albuquerque next summer which is something else I'm interested in. If the Pittsburgh meet is timed far-enough apart from the Albuquerque meet and I don't have any other travel planned for that time frame, I would very much like to attend.
-A.J. from Michigan

noelbotevera

I guess I'll add a poll for several dates in July and August. Later I'll write up a basic idea for an itinerary, which I can add to if I get more ideas.

EDIT: I messed up when I created the poll. Turns out you can't change your vote, so whoops...

rickmastfan67

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 02, 2018, 12:15:16 AM
EDIT: I messed up when I created the poll. Turns out you can't change your vote, so whoops...

Fixed for ya. ;)

vdeane

Might be a little early to start picking dates.  I can tell you that I won't be available around the 4th of July, the family picnic, or Labor Day.  Trouble is, I won't have any idea when the family picnic will be until late March, and I probably won't have a specific date until at least Memorial Day.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jpi

I voted for 8/10 and /17, they would be the best dates that would work for me, as for Albuquerque, I am still considering hosting a meet there but I won't start planning until after the first of 2019, by then I will have the other event I am attending in Albuquerque secured.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

baugh17

SWPA still mocks me so I will make an effort to attend.  It's too early to say if any of those dates will work, but it will be all the more better if it's the first weekend in August since the Mets are also in town that weekend.

Just sayin' ;)

PHLBOS

Quote from: vdeane on September 02, 2018, 12:28:06 PMMight be a little early to start picking dates.
Agree.  However, right off the bat, both July 13 & Sept. 1 are automatic nos for me.

Otherwise & in general, Saturdays are more doable for me than Sundays.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.