News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 19, 2022, 12:26:01 PM
The game in Green Bay Saturday night isn't going to break any cold records, but it's going to be a bit nippy.  Upper teens at kickoff. Looking breezy, so wind chill is going to make it feel like low singles.

The home field weather advantage at Lambeau seems to be of another era, so I'm not reading too much into that forecast.

I stand by my statement that the Packers should never be the favorites in the playoffs, home or away, until they prove they can win when it matters. The last decade has been consistent failure when it counts, why should any team fear them in the postseason?

thspfc

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 19, 2022, 12:34:25 PM
The game in Green Bay Saturday night isn't going to break any cold records, but it's going to be a bit nippy.  Upper teens at kickoff. Looking breezy, so wind chill is going to make it feel like low singles.

The home field weather advantage at Lambeau seems to be of another era, so I'm not reading too much into that forecast.

The cold weather thing is overhyped in general. The players are playing, not the team name. If a team in a southern city has a number of players from Northern climates, any so-called advantage the cold weather team has is significantly reduced.
I think the largest impact of cold temperature is that the field freezes over after a while. Lambeau's grass is always half-dead by playoff time. I've never been on the surface, but I imagine the ground is harder and bumpier now than it was in September and October.

But when it comes to throwing and catching the ball, even single digit temps don't make much of an impact. It takes a good 5-10 consecutive minutes for your hands to start freezing, and QBs and receivers have several minutes to warm their hands on the sideline between possessions.

webny99

Crazy fact: the Steelers have allowed 40+ points as many times in the playoffs (3) as they have in the regular season (3) over the past five seasons!  I don't think it gets talked about enough how bad their defense has been in the playoffs... 45, 48, and 42 points (135 total!) in their last three appearances. Even more crazy when you think about all the ugly, low-scoring games they win on the strength of their defense in the regular season.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on January 20, 2022, 06:39:12 PM
Crazy fact: the Steelers have allowed 40+ points as many times in the playoffs (3) as they have in the regular season (3) over the past five seasons!  I don't think it gets talked about enough how bad their defense has been in the playoffs... 45, 48, and 42 points (135 total!) in their last three appearances. Even more crazy when you think about all the ugly, low-scoring games they win on the strength of their defense in the regular season.

The Steelers are also the only team in the history of the NFL to lose a playoff game to Tim Tebow.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

triplemultiplex

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 20, 2022, 08:19:25 PM
The Steelers are also the only team in the history of the NFL to lose a playoff game to Tim Tebow.
A feat that will never be matched! :bigass:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

gr8daynegb

Quote from: thspfc on January 19, 2022, 12:49:40 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 19, 2022, 12:34:25 PM

The cold weather thing is overhyped in general. The players are playing, not the team name. If a team in a southern city has a number of players from Northern climates, any so-called advantage the cold weather team has is significantly reduced.
I think the largest impact of cold temperature is that the field freezes over after a while. Lambeau's grass is always half-dead by playoff time. I've never been on the surface, but I imagine the ground is harder and bumpier now than it was in September and October.

But when it comes to throwing and catching the ball, even single digit temps don't make much of an impact. It takes a good 5-10 consecutive minutes for your hands to start freezing, and QBs and receivers have several minutes to warm their hands on the sideline between possessions.

The technology of today takes away most of what cold weather teams could have had advantages on.  The jackets, handwarmers, etc are that much better. And correct me if I'm wrong but they also keep the footballs warm too so the old stories of kicking the football with it feeling like a brick and not going as far are more stories of the past. 

Honestly the only players that would more be affected would be those farther down on the depth chart that barely do anything, but if called into action then maybe it affects them as they had barely been doing much(and that's stretching a maybe).

The best way to bring frigid temps into play is get up by three scores or more and then losing team starts getting thoughts of "Why are they out here?" or "Please get this over with".......which hit's losing team regardless of where they are from. Winning is a great distraction from the weather lol
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

webny99

Giants hire Bills assistant GM Joe Schoen as their GM:
https://www.giants.com/news/giants-hire-joe-schoen-as-general-manager

Reaction seems to be overwhelmingly positive. And Bills OC Brian Daboll would make sense as a head coach candidate, especially if he can help develop Daniel Jones in the same way he did for Josh Allen.

KCRoadFan

All right, which of these potential Super Bowl matchups would you like to see most (or, for that matter, least)?
Bengals vs. 49ers
Bengals vs. Buccaneers
Bengals vs. Packers
Bengals vs. Rams
Bills vs. 49ers
Bills vs. Buccaneers
Bills vs. Packers
Bills vs. Rams
Chiefs vs. 49ers
Chiefs vs. Buccaneers
Chiefs vs. Packers
Chiefs vs. Rams
Titans vs. 49ers
Titans vs. Buccaneers
Titans vs. Packers
Titans vs. Rams

Roadgeekteen

Derrick Henry will play today. He's been activated.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: KCRoadFan on January 22, 2022, 03:43:19 AM
All right, which of these potential Super Bowl matchups would you like to see most (or, for that matter, least)?
Bengals vs. 49ers
Bengals vs. Buccaneers
Bengals vs. Packers
Bengals vs. Rams
Bills vs. 49ers
Bills vs. Buccaneers
Bills vs. Packers
Bills vs. Rams
Chiefs vs. 49ers
Chiefs vs. Buccaneers
Chiefs vs. Packers
Chiefs vs. Rams
Titans vs. 49ers
Titans vs. Buccaneers
Titans vs. Packers
Titans vs. Rams

Ranking most to least:

Bills vs Rams
Bills vs 49ers
Chiefs vs Rams
Chiefs vs 49ers
Bengals vs Rams
Bengals vs 49ers
Titans vs Rams
Titans vs 49ers
Bills vs Bucs
Chiefs vs Bucs
Bengals vs Bucs
Titans vs Bucs
Bills vs Packers
Chiefs vs Packers
Bengals vs Packers
Titans vs Packers

ilpt4u

Titans vs Rams: The Rematch of XXXIV at LVI

Ted$8roadFan

Bengals vs. 49ers
Bengals vs. Buccaneers
Bengals vs. Packers
Bengals vs. Rams
Bills vs. 49ers
Bills vs. Buccaneers
Bills vs. Packers
Bills vs. Rams
Chiefs vs. 49ers
Chiefs vs. Buccaneers
Chiefs vs. Packers
Chiefs vs. Rams
Titans vs. 49ers
Titans vs. Buccaneers
Titans vs. Packers
Titans vs. Rams

Bills, Bengals, Titans vs. any NFC team. Chiefs have won a SB, as have all NFC teams.

kurumi

Bengals vs. 49ers
Bengals vs. Buccaneers
Bengals vs. Packers
Bengals vs. Rams
Bills vs. 49ers
Bills vs. Buccaneers
Bills vs. Packers
Bills vs. Rams
Chiefs vs. 49ers
Chiefs vs. Buccaneers
Chiefs vs. Packers
Chiefs vs. Rams
Titans vs. 49ers
Titans vs. Buccaneers
Titans vs. Packers
Titans vs. Rams

Most: Bills vs. 49ers. Either the local team wins or a likeable team breaks its curse
Second: Titans vs. Rams, with a last-second stop at the 1 yard line either way
Third: Bills v. Brady, and this might move to 2nd
Last: Titans vs. Rams, not because dislike either team, but I'd have no rooting interest for or against
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kurumi on January 22, 2022, 02:40:20 PM
Bengals vs. 49ers
Bengals vs. Buccaneers
Bengals vs. Packers
Bengals vs. Rams
Bills vs. 49ers
Bills vs. Buccaneers
Bills vs. Packers
Bills vs. Rams
Chiefs vs. 49ers
Chiefs vs. Buccaneers
Chiefs vs. Packers
Chiefs vs. Rams
Titans vs. 49ers
Titans vs. Buccaneers
Titans vs. Packers
Titans vs. Rams

Most: Bills vs. 49ers. Either the local team wins or a likeable team breaks its curse
Second: Titans vs. Rams, with a last-second stop at the 1 yard line either way
Third: Bills v. Brady, and this might move to 2nd
Last: Titans vs. Rams, not because dislike either team, but I'd have no rooting interest for or against

Rams vs Bills simply because my Wife is from Firebaugh but everyone in her family are Rams fans.  Added bonus for me that Matt Stafford was the Lions Quarterback for so long.  The amount of free food and booze that would be at my disposal would be epic in scale.

tchafe1978

Bengals vs. 49ers
Bengals vs. Buccaneers
Bengals vs. Packers
Bengals vs. Rams
Bills vs. 49ers
Bills vs. Buccaneers
Bills vs. Packers
Bills vs. Rams
Chiefs vs. 49ers
Chiefs vs. Buccaneers
Chiefs vs. Packers
Chiefs vs. Rams
Titans vs. 49ers
Titans vs. Buccaneers
Titans vs. Packers
Titans vs. Rams

Packers vs. anybody. As long as the Packers make it, and then win, I'll be happy.

thspfc

Glad that the Titans are out. I don't think anyone outside of Tennessee really wanted to watch their 4-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense any longer. Worst 1 seed of all time?

epzik8

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 20, 2022, 08:19:25 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 20, 2022, 06:39:12 PM

Demaryius Thomas was the hero of that one.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on January 18, 2022, 08:10:44 AM
... I do think the Titans will win, so that will be my one pick of the week.

This is why I stay away from making predictions  :-D

Quote from: thspfc on January 22, 2022, 07:44:57 PM
Glad that the Titans are out. I don't think anyone outside of Tennessee really wanted to watch their 4-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense any longer. Worst 1 seed of all time?

This is the type of "process over results" debate that's always interesting. They beat 7 teams that finished with a winning record, including both the Bills and Chiefs, who were their main competition for the 1 seed. They have a great coach. They managed the regular season really well despite a ton of injuries to set themselves up for the bye. I don't think they're the worst 1 seed ever... they just profile as more of a 3 or 4 seed with a QB that's solid, but not top 5.

It was also about as ugly a loss as possible... bizarre decision not to kick the extra point, which would have allowed them to run out clock at the end instead of having to get in FG range, came back from 10 points down, the defense was excellent with 9 sacks and just one TD allowed... exactly the type of game that they usually find a way to win... but then the 3rd Tannehill interception basically cost them their season.

webny99

And congrats to the Bengals, who have a stud QB and a rookie kicker that just nailed a 52 yard field goal to seal the first road playoff win in franchise history and send them to their first AFC title game since 1988!

kurumi

Quote from: webny99 on January 22, 2022, 10:21:15 PM
And congrats to the Bengals, who have a stud QB and a rookie kicker that just nailed a 52 yard field goal to seal the first road playoff win in franchise history and send them to their first AFC title game since 1988!

2019: 2-14
2020: 4-11-1
2021: AFC title game (and King of the [AFC] North)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

NWI_Irish96

thspfc

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 22, 2022, 11:09:52 PM
ROBBIE GOULD!!
I must've missed the part where the NFL rigged the game for the Packers.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 22, 2022, 09:46:00 AM

Ranking most to least:

Bills vs Rams
Bills vs 49ers
Chiefs vs Rams
Chiefs vs 49ers
Bengals vs Rams
Bengals vs 49ers
Titans vs Rams
Titans vs 49ers

Bills vs Bucs
Chiefs vs Bucs
Bengals vs Bucs
Titans vs Bucs
Bills vs Packers
Chiefs vs Packers
Bengals vs Packers
Titans vs Packers

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on January 22, 2022, 11:19:06 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on January 22, 2022, 11:09:52 PM
ROBBIE GOULD!!
I must've missed the part where the NFL rigged the game for the Packers.

They tried. Called penalties on SF both times their offense got into the red zone, but hard to do anything about a blocked punt.

DenverBrian

Who placed a bet that both #1 seeds would lose today?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.