News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Arkansas Speed Limits to Rise (finally)

Started by US71, June 10, 2020, 08:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikieTimT

Quote from: roadman65 on September 18, 2020, 11:01:29 PM
I-40 is already posted but I -55 is not as well as I-555 as I drove them a few days ago.

I just drove I-55 and I-555 from Memphis to Jonesboro.  Hasn't changed as of yesterday.  Weird seeing all those 5's in such a small area around Turrell. 

ozarkman417

I drove all of the NWA portion of I-49 today, which is now signed 75 (trucks 70) south of Fayetteville. I take that the 70MPH curve warnings are also new?

robbones

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 20, 2020, 10:37:06 PM
I drove all of the NWA portion of I-49 today, which is now signed 75 (trucks 70) south of Fayetteville. I take that the 70MPH curve warnings are also new?
Yes, they were installed as part of the speed increase

SM-S506DL

capt.ron

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 20, 2020, 10:37:06 PM
I've seen a few 70 mph curve warnings on I-40 as well between Van Buren and Conway.

tolbs17

Arkansas did have a 75 mph speed limit before the National Maximum Speed Law kicked in. So technically, they raised it back to 75 mph...

https://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/sl-attud/maps/index2.html

capt.ron

Since I live in AR, I'll give out some current information on some of the highways.
The vast majority of 2 lane highways in AR continue to be signed at 55 mph (rural areas). Exceptions are "super 2's" like AR 530 that have 65 mph (and formerly AR 549 when it was a super 2).
5 lane "Arkansas freeways" are STILL 60 mph. Case in point: US 67 north of Walnut Ridge; US 167 north of Bald Knob.
4 lane divided highways continue to have a maximum posted limit of 65.
Rural stretches of controlled access freeways are 75 (trucks 70).
"Suburban" / semi rural stretches of controlled access freeway continue to be signed at 65 mph (AR 440; I-440). Urban areas of interstate in AR are still at 60 mph (I-30 in Little Rock between I-440 / 530 and I-40).
Personally I feel that ARDOT are holding on to 55 on 2 lanes for dear life, despite some of the 2 lane highways are designed to support 60, 65, and even 70 mph (mainly in east AR). 60 on a 5 lane highway is insanely low as well. Some can support 70 mph; most could support 65 mph easily.
To ARDOT: Not all of us drive vehicles that corner and handle like a river barge. Get with the times. It's not 1975 anymore.

bwana39

Quote from: capt.ron on December 22, 2021, 02:23:50 PM
Since I live in AR, I'll give out some current information on some of the highways.
The vast majority of 2 lane highways in AR continue to be signed at 55 mph (rural areas). Exceptions are "super 2's" like AR 530 that have 65 mph (and formerly AR 549 when it was a super 2).
5 lane "Arkansas freeways" are STILL 60 mph. Case in point: US 67 north of Walnut Ridge; US 167 north of Bald Knob.
4 lane divided highways continue to have a maximum posted limit of 65.
Rural stretches of controlled access freeways are 75 (trucks 70).
"Suburban" / semi rural stretches of controlled access freeway continue to be signed at 65 mph (AR 440; I-440). Urban areas of interstate in AR are still at 60 mph (I-30 in Little Rock between I-440 / 530 and I-40).
Personally I feel that ARDOT are holding on to 55 on 2 lanes for dear life, despite some of the 2 lane highways are designed to support 60, 65, and even 70 mph (mainly in east AR). 60 on a 5 lane highway is insanely low as well. Some can support 70 mph; most could support 65 mph easily.
To ARDOT: Not all of us drive vehicles that corner and handle like a river barge. Get with the times. It's not 1975 anymore.

Yes, but tractors and log trucks do still handle like yachts at best.

I-49 on the east side of Texarkana is signed at 65 and it has minimal exits.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Rick Powell

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 22, 2021, 12:21:16 AM
Arkansas did have a 75 mph speed limit before the National Maximum Speed Law kicked in. So technically, they raised it back to 75 mph..

I was about to say something on that and then saw this post. As a kid, our family drove the I-55 segment from IL through AR several times and it was always 70 in IL and MO and bumped up to 75 in AR. There were ominous supplemental signs in AR under the SPEED LIMIT 75 signs reading "NO TOLERANCE". I remember driving it with my mom and still having my IL learner's permit, and keeping a nervous eye on the speedometer, even though there would be occasional vehicles skipping by at 80. I figured out-of-state plates, young kid, 76 gets you popped.

Then, across the I-55 bridge in Memphis, it opened up pretty quickly to 75 following the hairpin ramps of the Crump Blvd. interchange, and I was surprised to see an urban speed limit posted that high. Didn't last long on a trip as we were soon in MS and back to 70 mph, and you didn't want to push your luck there either, with out-of-state plates from the north.

Scott5114

Oklahoma recently installed those NO TOLERANCE signs (replacing the minimum speed limit signs for some reason). I always think it's kind of funny seeing the combined message of [SPEED LIMIT 70] [NO TOLERANCE], since the way my mind parses it, they're saying they won't tolerate you doing the speed limit.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

sprjus4

Quote from: Rick Powell on December 22, 2021, 11:49:32 PM
Then, across the I-55 bridge in Memphis, it opened up pretty quickly to 75 following the hairpin ramps of the Crump Blvd. interchange, and I was surprised to see an urban speed limit posted that high. Didn't last long on a trip as we were soon in MS and back to 70 mph, and you didn't want to push your luck there either, with out-of-state plates from the north.
The now-55 mph portion north / west of I-240 was 75 mph? Or the now-65 mph portion south of there?

I could see it on the latter, the former seems a bit too fast, IMO, I wouldn't go above a 65 mph posted.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

I remember Michigan doing the same thing to rural freeways, particularly north of Bay City.
Renewed roadgeek

Wayward Memphian

Arkansas Troopers will give you up to 80 in 75mph zones, 82 or 83 and your playing with getting pulled over. Slightly less lenient than the 8 to 9 over cushion in 70  and 65 mph zones. How do I know, driving experiences from Fayetteville to Memohis on the reg. I don't even check up passing them sitting in wait following that guideline.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 23, 2021, 01:36:15 AM
Oklahoma recently installed those NO TOLERANCE signs (replacing the minimum speed limit signs for some reason). I always think it's kind of funny seeing the combined message of [SPEED LIMIT 70] [NO TOLERANCE], since the way my mind parses it, they're saying they won't tolerate you doing the speed limit.
Also the OHP does have tolerance usually up to 9-11 over from personal experience as long as you don't fly through traffic and drive recklessly. So those signs are not needed.

Rick Powell

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 23, 2021, 01:44:43 AM
Quote from: Rick Powell on December 22, 2021, 11:49:32 PM
The now-55 mph portion north / west of I-240 was 75 mph? Or the now-65 mph portion south of there?

I could see it on the latter, the former seems a bit too fast, IMO, I wouldn't go above a 65 mph posted.

My memory isn't clear on it, 1972 was a long time ago! But I think it opened up to 75 just south of South Parkway/Kerr Avenue, where they had the retaining walls on each side of I-55.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.