News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Next NE project as big as RI 10/US 6

Started by Pete from Boston, October 16, 2020, 01:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

I've been in Rhode Island a lot lately, and pretty impressed by the scope of the 6/10 project, which had not been on my radar. Haven't seen anything that big around in a while. I'm curious what people think the next project to happen on this scale in New England is likely to be. CT8/I-84? Mass Pike/I-495?

Alps

The Ghostbuster

The interchange in the northeast I'd most be interested in hearing about is the proposed reconstruction of the northern Interstates 93/95 in Woburn. It was supposed to start in 2017, but the community won't allow it. Does anyone have any updates on when/if this project will go forward, or is it likely to remain as-is until the ramps collapse?

shadyjay

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 16, 2020, 02:46:08 PM
The interchange in the northeast I'd most be interested in hearing about is the proposed reconstruction of the northern Interstates 93/95 in Woburn. It was supposed to start in 2017, but the community won't allow it. Does anyone have any updates on when/if this project will go forward, or is it likely to remain as-is until the ramps collapse?

Actually, I doubt the ramps would collapse.  It's a cloverleaf, so there's no overpasses, bridge structures, flyovers within the interchange structure itself.  The only bridge in that interchange is the I-93 overpass over 128/95. 

As far as the "next big" project goes...

In CT, it's probably the I-91/CT 15/I-691 interchange in Meriden.  See preliminary plans here:  https://portal.ct.gov/DOT79-240
Though I wish it would be the CT 9 "remove the lights" project in Middletown.  Maybe it will.  It may be small on the scale of interchange projects, but big in the realm of finally making CT 9 limited access for its entire 40 mile length. 

As far as I-84/CT 8, that is currently a rehabilitation project that is keeping the existing interchange intact in the end.  While a full-scale reconstruction would be nice to get rid of the double-decked bridges and all the left exits/entrances and such, we're probably going to be stuck with it for the next 10+ years. 

Perhaps the I-84/Aetna Viaduct project in Hartford will get off and running, but with new alternatives being discussed, it'll be awhile before that one grows legs.  I'd be more concerned with the "ramps collapse" theory there, vs the I-93/I-95 in Woburn.

In New Hampshire, you have two big multi-year projects wrapping up... the Spaulding Tpke in Portsmouth/Dover and I-93 from Salem to Manchester.  Next for NH will probably be attacking the Concord project on I-93, which will add another lane and deal with multiple interchanges, individually not as big as 10/6 in RI, but collectively bigger.

kernals12

Is it really the community that blocked it, or trouble finding funding?

kernals12

I think the replacement of the Sagamore and Bourne Bridges fills that role.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: kernals12 on October 26, 2020, 09:47:26 PM

Is it really the community that blocked it, or trouble finding funding?

The last that I knew about this was that they had reached an impasse with the community over takings necessary to rebuild it.

Honestly, I hadn't heard anything for about a decade until last year, when electronic billboards in Woburn called for rebuilding it. When you went to the address, it went to a website backed in part by the owner of Paul Revere transportation and some construction and trucking industry people.

roadman

The next big project that is actually in design is the reconstruction of I-90/MassPike and I-.495 in Westborough.  Project page is at:

https://www.mass.gov/i-495i-90-interchange-improvements
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

The interchange in the northeast I'd most be interested in hearing about is the proposed reconstruction of the northern Interstates 93/95 in Woburn.
IIRC, MassDOT placed higher priority on getting the Canton I-93/95 interchange reconfigured; but no known timeline for when such would take place has been set.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hotdogPi

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 30, 2020, 11:18:58 AM
The interchange in the northeast I'd most be interested in hearing about is the proposed reconstruction of the northern Interstates 93/95 in Woburn.
IIRC, MassDOT placed higher priority on getting the Canton I-93/95 interchange reconfigured; but no known timeline for when such would take place.

Why does the one in Canton need to be reconfigured? It's not a cloverleaf.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on October 30, 2020, 11:20:43 AM
IIRC, MassDOT placed higher priority on getting the Canton I-93/95 interchange reconfigured; but no known timeline for when such would take place.

The through-I-95 northbound movement is definitely a cloverleaf ramp.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

webny99

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 30, 2020, 11:23:35 AM

It's certainly a loop... but cloverleaf usually describes an interchange as a whole, not a single loop. I'd call this one a trumpet interchange.
Are there actual plans to reconfigure it, and if so, how would it tie in with Exit 13?

RobbieL2415

Projects of major scale already in progress:
I-91/CT 15/ US 5 flyover reconfiguration
I-84/CT 8 mixmaster rehab
I-84 Corbins Corner rehab/add-a-lane.

Under serious consideration or in design phase:
Wilbur Cross Parkway, West Rock Tunnel rehab.
I-84 Hartford Viaduct full replacement
I-90/I-495 interchange modernization
I-90 Allston CSX Yard rehab/get rid of now useless bend

Beginning planning phase:
MA 25/28, US 6 Bourne and Sagamore Bridge replacement

Projects that IMO should be undertaken:
MA 24 ramp modernization
I-291 (CT) add-a-lane, entire length
I-395 (CT) ramp modernization and cloverleaf elimination
I-84 add-a-lane, Waterbury to Danbury
I-84 move off Bulkley Bridge to new bridge or tunnel (OG bridge cannot be removed because its on the NRHP)
I-95 add-a-lane, Branford to RI Line
Mid-Cape Highway add-a-lane, ramp modernization and second carriageway completion
Cross-Sound Tunnel

PHLBOS

Quote from: webny99 on October 30, 2020, 11:51:15 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on October 30, 2020, 11:23:35 AM

It's certainly a loop... but cloverleaf usually describes an interchange as a whole, not a single loop. I'd call this one a trumpet interchange.
Ever hear of the term cloverleaf ramp?  As most here know, this interchange was originally built as a 4-way interchange (I-95/MA 128) with three cloverleaf ramps (one still in use) and a fly-over ramp that was never used and ultimately taken down.  It was reconfigured to its current trumpet design circa 1977 and has since been tweaked over the decades.
Quote from: webny99 on October 30, 2020, 11:51:15 AM
Are there actual plans to reconfigure it, and if so, how would it tie in with Exit 13?
The reconfiguration plans would replace the loop/cloverleaf-style thru-I-95 northbound ramp with a 2-lane flyover.  Such would include a relocated and parallel ramp for Exit 13 that would include a connector to siad-ramp from I-95 northbound (not shown in the below-image but would be located to the left of it).

For some reason, a Google Search isn't producing too much on it.  A study was written on it a few years ago.
These were the only images I found thus far circa 2013 & 2014.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

echo

Although it's a pipe dream, the reconfiguration of the braintree split might prove effective.

-Push I-93 North a bit North to better align with I-93 South  (and free up some frontage space in front of Common St)

-With the increased frontage space, convert the left through lanes (with less than ideal curve radii) into a right hand fly-over/under ramp with better geometry for I-93 North.

-Provide enough median space in the split to allow for a permanent reversible hov lane that could theoretically be extended down to Rt 24 on the west, while on the east (Rt 3) maybe down to independence.

-Put some of the ramps on a diet

(Will probably draw something up in autocad)

Edit, something along the lines of this (Curves designed for 65 mph on the I-93 ramps with 51 ft wide curves , while the HOV lane is configured for a 24 ft wide curve @ 65 mph on the Western approach and a 17 ft wide curve at 50-55 mph on the Rt 3 HOV ramp)

https://imgur.com/MHWTC4w

The Ghostbuster

If the southern interchange between Interstate 93 and Interstate 95 is ever reconfigured, I hope they get rid of the remaining materials that indicates that Interstate 95 was to have continued northward along the unconstructed Southwest Expressway. It should be returned to nature.

shadyjay

Did some digging and found the I-93/I-95-Canton project in the Wayback Machine...

https://web.archive.org/web/20090625030741/http://www.mhd.state.ma.us/content/environ/CantonInterchange/index.html

And yes, the unused roadway/ramps to the north of the interchange would be removed/returned to nature.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.