News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Chuckanut Drive (WA 11)

Started by Dougtone, December 25, 2020, 06:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

Sometimes called the Big Sur of Washington State, Chuckanut Drive (WA 11) hugs the coast of the Samish Bay between Burlington and Bellingham in Skagit and Whatcom Counties. Chuckanut Drive is said to be one of Washington State's premier historic and scenic byways. From 1926 to 1931, Chuckanut Drive was also signed as part of US 99.

I took a trip up Chuckanut Drive during my recent trip to Washington State over the summer, so I had to take photos and write an article about it...

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/12/chuckanut-drive-scenic-and-historic.html

kkt

Nice writeup!

The railroad was built before the 1930s route of Chuckanut Drive, so the railroad got their pick of the most stable route.  Chuckanut Drive does suffer from landslides pretty often. 

I ate with my mom and grandparents at Oyster Creek Inn about 30 years ago, and it was excellent and with a spectacular view of the sunset.  Not sure if it's still open even before Covid.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.