News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Suggestions for how to find information about lost bridges that are not on Bridgehunter.com

Started by Route66Fan, December 29, 2020, 03:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Route66Fan

I would like to know how I could find information about lost bridges that are not on Bridgehunter.com? I have found out that my hometown of Carrollton, MO used to have a covered bridge in it in the late 1800's to early 1900's. I was able to find out about this covered bridge, a few years ago, at the Carroll County, MO Historical Society's Museum, which has\had a artists  painting of the covered bridge. I was also able to find some mentions of this covered bridge in some old newspapers, from the era, on Newspapers.com. For some reason, Bridgehunter.com doesn't have anything about this covered bridge on its site. According to the Historical Society, this covered bridge was located on S. Main St. & crossed Wakanda Creek. I would like to know where else online I could check to find out more about this & other old bridges that are not currently listed on Bridgehunter.com.

SM-S102DL

Max Rockatansky

David Rumsey can be a good source to get started if you're good at map research.  Historicaerials might also provide some insight given they have a ton of old USGS maps which overlay a modern mapping software. 

Route66Fan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 29, 2020, 05:51:35 PM
David Rumsey can be a good source to get started if you're good at map research.  Historicaerials might also provide some insight given they have a ton of old USGS maps which overlay a modern mapping software.
I am kind of familiar with those sites. I'll have to check them out some more.

SM-S102DL

bwana39

The lost bridges on Bridgehunter are mostly from two places. 1) they were lost after it was started or 2) People like you found as many details as they could and started the thread.
Then hopefully others can add relevant material after it is posted. That would be my goal on this or any other significant bridge.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Route66Fan

Quote from: bwana39 on December 30, 2020, 04:21:51 PM
The lost bridges on Bridgehunter are mostly from two places. 1) they were lost after it was started or 2) People like you found as many details as they could and started the thread.
Then hopefully others can add relevant material after it is posted. That would be my goal on this or any other significant bridge.
I might try looking into doing that. The only problem, right now, is that there are no known images of this covered bridge, or images of the painting of it, on the internet. Also, the Carroll County, MO museum is closed until about May, or so, of 2021.

Route66Fan

Over the past couple of weeks, I contacted Dan Brock, who helps run the National Society for the Preservation of Covered Bridges site & he, in turn, fowarded the message to Bill Caswell, who also helps run that site & also has his own "Lost Bridges" site & they have done some research on the lost covered bridge over the Wakanda Creek in Carrollton, MO & found a couple of newspaper articles, from 1919, about it.

In addition, I also found this article, from 1912, about the covered bridge, as well.

Bill Caswell has added information about this previously lost covered bridge to his site here.

jeffandnicole

Unfortunately, the founder of bridgehunter.com passed away last month in a hiking accident, just shy of his 30th birthday.  There's a link to his obituary on the site, but you need a subscription.  Here is a link to a free version:

https://www.fordandsonsfuneralhome.com/obituaries/James-Baughn-2/#!/Obituary

Route66Fan

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 11, 2021, 08:36:12 AM
Unfortunately, the founder of bridgehunter.com passed away last month in a hiking accident, just shy of his 30th birthday.  There's a link to his obituary on the site, but you need a subscription.  Here is a link to a free version:

https://www.fordandsonsfuneralhome.com/obituaries/James-Baughn-2/#!/Obituary
I've heard about that. It's too bad. I hope that they will find somebody else to run the website.

SM-S102DL

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.