News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Chicago to Asheville - mid-November

Started by abefroman329, September 15, 2021, 11:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 19, 2021, 09:12:42 AM
I have a pretty low tolerance for cigarette smoke. I'd have to insist on a different car.
My wife drove it briefly and had a headache after about an hour.  Me, it took until the day I was to return it before I didn't want to get in it because it was starting to make me nauseated.

abefroman329

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 19, 2021, 09:38:56 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 19, 2021, 09:35:07 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on November 19, 2021, 09:12:42 AM
I have a pretty low tolerance for cigarette smoke. I'd have to insist on a different car.

I'm a bit surprised that rental companies still allow smoking in vehicles, and don't assess a penalty the way non-smoking hotel rooms do.

Most, if not all, have a policy against smoking in cars, but it may not be strictly enforced. I've been in hotel rooms that smelled like smoke and had to get a different room.
I don't think it's about whether it's enforced, I just don't think the agency has much of a choice when the car is returned at 3 pm and needs to be rented out again at 4 pm.  Especially at a neighborhood location, where they pretty much get what they can get.

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 19, 2021, 12:16:24 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on November 18, 2021, 05:51:55 PM

On Monday morning, I drove to surprise my son at the ferry between Kentucky and Illinois, from Crittenden, KY to Cave-In-Rock, IL, via I-40 and I-24.  We went to the titular cave and spent the night at a treehouse in Goreville, IL.

Does your son work on the ferry? I have a friend/co-worker who lives in Marion. He's a Crittenden County native from the Tolu community.
No, he's 3.

OK, so you surprised him with a ferry ride. I guess that wasn't too terribly far out of your way, but there were some other Ohio River ferries you could have taken that weren't too far from Cincinnati. The Anderson Ferry is popular with commuters going to the CVG airport, and the ferry at Augusta between Cincinnati and Maysville. You could also have taken the Valley View Ferry across the Kentucky River on KY 169 between Nicholasville and Richmond.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on November 19, 2021, 07:24:22 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on November 19, 2021, 12:16:24 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on November 18, 2021, 05:51:55 PM

On Monday morning, I drove to surprise my son at the ferry between Kentucky and Illinois, from Crittenden, KY to Cave-In-Rock, IL, via I-40 and I-24.  We went to the titular cave and spent the night at a treehouse in Goreville, IL.

Does your son work on the ferry? I have a friend/co-worker who lives in Marion. He's a Crittenden County native from the Tolu community.
No, he's 3.

OK, so you surprised him with a ferry ride. I guess that wasn't too terribly far out of your way, but there were some other Ohio River ferries you could have taken that weren't too far from Cincinnati. The Anderson Ferry is popular with commuters going to the CVG airport, and the ferry at Augusta between Cincinnati and Maysville. You could also have taken the Valley View Ferry across the Kentucky River on KY 169 between Nicholasville and Richmond.
Well, they were driving up from their own weekend in Memphis, and apparently this particular ferry route was on their way. All other things being equal, I would have preferred to stay on I-24 and arrive in Goreville earlier, but the idea of surprising him on the ferry was a cute one.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.