News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois Road Videos

Started by Crash_It, October 24, 2021, 06:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryV

If you can't sled down it if it was covered in snow, it's not a hill.

Crash_It

Quote from: GaryV on May 26, 2022, 01:41:50 PM

I used to sled down this hill when I was coming up

https://maps.app.goo.gl/VhHykDtp7KcummK87

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Crash_It on May 26, 2022, 02:04:43 PM

This isn't my usual snark. I mean this seriously. What hill? It looks like there's about a 2° grade for about 10 feet.

Rothman

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 26, 2022, 02:08:32 PM

This isn't my usual snark. I mean this seriously. What hill? It looks like there's about a 2° grade for about 10 feet.
Meh.  I see a sledding slope there.

But...Illinois is flat.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on May 26, 2022, 02:13:47 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 26, 2022, 02:08:32 PM

Meh.  I see a sledding slope there.

But...Illinois is flat.

If I don't travel for at least 50 feet, and I don't see that in that picture, I'm not sledding it. That's just walking around with a sled in your hands and occasionally sitting down.

kphoger

When I was living in the area, this hill was positively crawling with sleds in the winter.  I see from GSV that they've since added a sign reading 'ALL SEASONAL SPORTING ACTIVITIES PROHIBITED'.

But that doesn't mean Wheaton isn't flat.

(This does.)   :-P
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on May 26, 2022, 02:23:17 PM

When I was living in the area, this hill was positively crawling with sleds in the winter.  I see from GSV that they've since added a sign reading 'ALL SEASONAL SPORTING ACTIVITIES PROHIBITED'.

But that doesn't mean Wheaton isn't flat.

(This does.)   :-P

That looks like you could at least go 50'. Not a grrreeeaaattt sledding hill, but at least reasonable.

thspfc

Quote from: kphoger on May 26, 2022, 12:41:23 PM
Quote from: thspfc on May 25, 2022, 08:47:57 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 24, 2022, 01:35:06 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/dRR8bwFtx1o1tE7i8 | I 57

8. flat

Quote from: thspfc on May 26, 2022, 12:27:31 PM
I think ditches are flat, yes. The ones with small hills get half a point. The ones with real hills get a full point.

You called a straight-on shot of a glacial boundary with a 350-foot elevation gain "flat".  Are you saying that counts as a "ditch"?
I don't remember giving that no points. I think I gave it half, or at least I should have given it half, for elevation change. But it's not particularly steep, as evidenced by how an Interstate runs straight up it with no curves.

thspfc

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 26, 2022, 01:06:17 PM
Quote from: vdeane on May 26, 2022, 12:40:01 PM
Quote from: thspfc on May 26, 2022, 12:22:26 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 26, 2022, 04:59:54 AM
A thousand points to Kyle because thspfc apparently has no idea what the word flat means.
So here's who thinks "flat" means put a leveling tool on the ground and have the bubble exactly in the middle to the millimeter:

- Illinois resident
- former Illinois and now Kansas resident
- Oklahoma resident

Can we get some diversity of sources on this?
Yes, I think it's very telling that those who are defending Carhorn on this are all from the Great Plains.  Where one lives can certainly influence what one considers to be "flat".  For instance, back when I was growing up, I thought this was a hill.  Now, not so much.  This is more of a hill.  Still, "I can find a hill in Illinois" or even "this small piece of Illinois has hills" does not qualify Illinois from being flat (overall).  Ironically, Carhorn's example of somewhere that he considers flat seems to be representative of the majority of the state per the terrain layer and some street view exploration.  Yeah, the southern and northwest corners are hilly... but the vast majority of the state is grade A Flatlandia.

Everyone can be wrong. Yeah, the majority of Illinois is flat. Yeah, a lot of the stuff Crash posts claiming to be hilly is not really hilly. But thspc's insisting that anything less than a 50% grade is flat is also really silly.

My yardstick for whether something is flat or not is whether I would notice the grade if I were to ride up it on a bicycle. If I would consider stopping and taking a breather before attempting to continue up it, it's not flat.
How often do you ride a bike? I ride often, am in very good physical shape compared to the average American, and I notice just about every grade on a bike. The street I live on looks flat as a pancake to the naked eye, but when I ride my bike up and down it, one direction is significantly easier.

thspfc

Quote from: kphoger on May 26, 2022, 01:11:35 PM
Yeah, the majority of Illinois is flat.

Yeah, a lot of the stuff Crash posts claiming to be hilly is not really hilly.

For the record, I wholeheartedly agree with both of those statements.

Remember, after all, that I'm the one who started the "IL is mostly but not completely flat, but most of its hills are unexceptional" thread.  The title sums up my honest opinion about Illinois's topography.
And I agree with that statement as well. But Illinois is flat enough that the "Illinois is flat"  generalization can accurately be made IMO.

Scott5114

Quote from: thspfc on May 26, 2022, 02:45:42 PM
A thousand points to Kyle because thspfc apparently has no idea what the word flat means.
So here's who thinks "flat" means put a leveling tool on the ground and have the bubble exactly in the middle to the millimeter:

- Illinois resident
- Oklahoma resident

Yes, I think it's very telling that those who are defending Carhorn on this are all from the Great Plains.  Where one lives can certainly influence what one considers to be "flat".  For instance, back when I was growing up, I thought this was a hill.  Now, not so much.  This is more of a hill.  Still, "I can find a hill in Illinois" or even "this small piece of Illinois has hills" does not qualify Illinois from being flat (overall).  Ironically, Carhorn's example of somewhere that he considers flat seems to be representative of the majority of the state per the terrain layer and some street view exploration.  Yeah, the southern and northwest corners are hilly... but the vast majority of the state is grade A Flatlandia.

Everyone can be wrong. Yeah, the majority of Illinois is flat. Yeah, a lot of the stuff Crash posts claiming to be hilly is not really hilly. But thspc's insisting that anything less than a 50% grade is flat is also really silly.

My yardstick for whether something is flat or not is whether I would notice the grade if I were to ride up it on a bicycle. If I would consider stopping and taking a breather before attempting to continue up it, it's not flat.
How often do you ride a bike? I ride often, am in very good physical shape compared to the average American, and I notice just about every grade on a bike. The street I live on looks flat as a pancake to the naked eye, but when I ride my bike up and down it, one direction is significantly easier.

Your street isn't flat, then. Sorry.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Flint1979

Any state the size of Illinois is going to have some degree of hills here and there but that doesn't mean that overall Illinois is a hilly state. That is the whole point it's overall as a state Illinois is a flat state. Illinois is also a rather boring state outside of Chicago.

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 26, 2022, 04:04:15 PM
Illinois is also a rather boring state outside of Chicago.

I'm currently in the process of planning a family vacation to southern Illinois, and I'm having trouble narrowing down the activities to stay within budget.

For now, I'm planning to camp in the Shawnee National Forest and do some hikes there, plus probably some hikes at a state park or two.  Then we'll probably visit a couple of vineyards and do some wine tasting.  The zipline in Grafton is out of our price range, but I might be able to talk one or two of the kids into the aerial gondola ride there.  Still in the planning stages.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Crash_It

This is 1000% false, I strongly hope that you aren't serious. Illinois is one of those states where it would take a lifetime to burn out all there's to do. Unlike Michigan for example which doesn't even make the top 10

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-fun-states/34665

Edit:

Wow, even Ohio is considered a funner state than Michigan. How could you be a more boring state than Ohio?

thspfc

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 26, 2022, 03:03:12 PM
Quote from: thspfc on May 26, 2022, 02:45:42 PM

- Illinois resident
- Oklahoma resident

Your street isn't flat, then. Sorry.
So then by this logic not even Florida is flat . . . lol

kphoger

Quote from: Crash_It on May 26, 2022, 04:50:49 PM

This is 1000% false, I strongly hope that you aren't serious. Illinois is one of those states where it would take a lifetime to burn out all there's to do. Unlike Michigan for example which doesn't even make the top 10

Edit:

Wow, even Ohio is considered a funner state than Michigan. How could you be a more boring state than Ohio?

OK, now, come on.  There's plenty to do in Michigan too.  I would totally go to Michigan on vacation, if for no other reason than its state parks and national parks.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: thspfc on May 26, 2022, 05:04:10 PM

No...  By that definition, a picture of a hill in Florida isn't a picture of flatness.  That's the issue.  You asked for GSV shots of non-flatness in Illinois.  Then, when presented with scores of them, you dismiss half the hills as "flat".
Male pronouns, please.

thspfc

Quote from: kphoger on May 26, 2022, 04:16:03 PM

I'm currently in the process of planning a family vacation to southern Illinois, and I'm having trouble narrowing down the activities to stay within budget.

For now, I'm planning to camp in the Shawnee National Forest and do some hikes there, plus probably some hikes at a state park or two.  Then we'll probably visit a couple of vineyards and do some wine tasting.  The zipline in Grafton is out of our price range, but I might be able to talk one or two of the kids into the aerial gondola ride there.  Still in the planning stages.
" Rather boring"  as in, boring compared to many states. Not completely boring or the most boring.

thspfc

Quote from: kphoger on May 26, 2022, 05:05:56 PM
Quote from: thspfc on May 26, 2022, 05:04:10 PM

No...  By that definition, a picture of a hill in Florida isn't a picture of flatness.  That's the issue.  You asked for GSV shots of non-flatness in Illinois.  Then, when presented with scores of them, you dismiss half the hills as "flat".
Because I thought you were going to give me hills instead of ditches.

Flint1979

Edit:

No dude it isn't and not even close. You think Illinois has more to offer than Michigan does? If that's the case then tell your state's residents to stop vacationing here, stop coming to our lakes, stop entering our state if Illinois has so much to do then you shouldn't be coming to Michigan to spend your vacations. But what you said is totally incorrect as usual. I don't know why anyone should consider you as a source of what Michigan has to offer when you yourself said that you haven't been any further into the state than Niles. Michigan is far from being a boring state. Just because I said that Illinois is boring your comeback is that Michigan is boring? Not a very good source there.

thspfc

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 26, 2022, 05:12:21 PM

Edit:

No dude it isn't and not even close. You think Illinois has more to offer than Michigan does? If that's the case then tell your state's residents to stop vacationing here, stop coming to our lakes, stop entering our state if Illinois has so much to do then you shouldn't be coming to Michigan to spend your vacations. But what you said is totally incorrect as usual. I don't know why anyone should consider you as a source of what Michigan has to offer when you yourself said that you haven't been any further into the state than Niles. Michigan is far from being a boring state. Just because I said that Illinois is boring your comeback is that Michigan is boring? Not a very good source there.
Without Chicago, Michigan is the more fun state by far. But Illinois does have Chicago, while Michigan's big city is Detroit.

I'd still give a slight edge to Michigan but it's not a slam dunk.

Max Rockatansky

Edit:

Took me less than two years to burn out on Illinois, it's slim pickings outside Chicago.  I still find interesting things to do that I haven't seen in Michigan (even after living there 13 years).  About the only state Illinois is going to beat consistently in the Midwest is Indiana.  Even then, Indiana has the favored beach on Lake Michigan for Chicago area residents. 

Flint1979

Quote from: thspfc on May 26, 2022, 05:20:25 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 26, 2022, 05:12:21 PM

Edit:

Without Chicago, Michigan is the more fun state by far. But Illinois does have Chicago, while Michigan's big city is Detroit.

I'd still give a slight edge to Michigan but it's not a slam dunk.
That's true but Detroit and Chicago only take up a small percentage of each state. I'd argue that Detroit's suburbs rival Chicago's suburbs pretty closely. Chicago has a bigger downtown and a more built up urban fabric but outside of that the city isn't much different than Detroit.

Flint1979

If you take Detroit and Chicago away Michigan blows Illinois away.

dlsterner

Sorting that list by "Nightlife" places Illinois behind ... Wisconsin, of all places.  I guess that makes Wisconsin better than Illinois.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.