News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois Road Videos

Started by Crash_It, October 24, 2021, 06:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on May 26, 2022, 09:56:58 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 26, 2022, 07:41:06 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on May 26, 2022, 04:50:49 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 26, 2022, 04:04:15 PM
Illinois is also a rather boring state outside of Chicago.

This is 1000% false, I strongly hope that you aren't serious. Illinois is one of those states where it would take a lifetime to burn out all there's to do. Unlike Michigan for example which doesn't even make the top 10

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-fun-states/34665

Edit:

Wow, even Ohio is considered a funner state than Michigan. How could you be a more boring state than Ohio?

I don't often laugh out loud when reading forum posts, but this one... this one did it.

What's your take on Wisconsin then? More or less interesting than Illinois?

I absolutely can't stand that place and it's #15 on that list of funnest states. I guess the mistreatment of my grandmother who I was close with within the healthcare system there that led to her eventual death nearly 5 years ago is part of my disdain for that place.

And here's a new article that was just released and again good news for Illinois especially vs Wisconsin and Michigan

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-states-for-millennials/33371

Speaking of mistreating people, are you ducking out on answering for this?  I thought you were all in on owning what you said on the trucker page?

https://fb.watch/dfWUwC25tF/

Flint1979

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 26, 2022, 07:59:35 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 26, 2022, 05:25:27 PM
If you take Detroit and Chicago away Michigan blows Illinois away.
So you're saying skyscrapers make Illinois less flat?
I'm talking about Illinois being boring now. I'm saying that Michigan has more interesting things to do if you take Chicago and Detroit away. For example, I think that Michigan's State Parks blow the one's in Illinois away.

Flint1979

This is 1000% false, I strongly hope that you aren't serious. Illinois is one of those states where it would take a lifetime to burn out all there's to do. Unlike Michigan for example which doesn't even make the top 10

Edit:

Wow, even Ohio is considered a funner state than Michigan. How could you be a more boring state than Ohio?

I don't often laugh out loud when reading forum posts, but this one... this one did it.

I absolutely can't stand that place and it's #15 on that list of funnest states. I guess the mistreatment of my grandmother who I was close with within the healthcare system there that led to her eventual death nearly 5 years ago is part of my disdain for that place.

And here's a new article that was just released and again good news for Illinois especially vs Wisconsin and Michigan

Wallethub as your source again? LMAO.

Rothman

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 26, 2022, 10:10:19 PM

Edit:

Wallethub as your source again? LMAO.
Ad hominem.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 26, 2022, 10:00:03 PM
You're 100% biased toward Illinois and can't at all admit that another state might be better than Illinois in certain categories.

This, this, a thousand times this.

I'm not saying Michigan is a "slam dunk" or that it "blows away" Illinois–as some others have said–but it does seem a bit ridiculous to claim that Illinois is objectively a better vacation destination than Michigan.  Personally, I think Michigan has it by a margin, just not a hugely wide margin.  But you seem to be unable to even consider that it might possibly be true.  That's a problem.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Crash_It

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 26, 2022, 10:08:09 PM
I'm talking about Illinois being boring now. I'm saying that Michigan has more interesting things to do if you take Chicago and Detroit away. For example, I think that Michigan's State Parks blow the one's in Illinois away.

Even without Chicago Illinois still might blow Michigan away. They would probably be neck and neck in the worst scenario. You've probably never been to any Illinois state parks except for starved rock (I've seen plates from all over there btw so that alone should say something). Illinois state parks are also FREE vs Michigan, Indiana or even Wisconsin. Minnesota is the other state that has free state parks.

Crash_It

Quote from: Crash_It on May 26, 2022, 06:03:25 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 26, 2022, 05:22:29 PM

Edit:

Took me less than two years to burn out on Illinois, it's slim pickings outside Chicago.  I still find interesting things to do that I haven't seen in Michigan (even after living there 13 years).  About the only state Illinois is going to beat consistently in the Midwest is Indiana.  Even then, Indiana has the favored beach on Lake Michigan for Chicago area residents.

You haven't been going to the right places then because there's tons even outside of Chicago. Here are 10 things to do around Springfield

https://www.sj-r.com/story/lifestyle/travel/2022/05/26/10-things-to-see-do-summer-within-100-miles-springfield/9907855002/

Another good resource to check is this site as well:

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/states/illinois/

And then there's this one

https://www.illinoisouth.org/

And finally the flagship site for Illinois tourism:
https://www.enjoyillinois.com/

Even my own YouTube channel is a resource.. I also spotlight points of interest in any video I make outside of the videos of bad drivers.
So this proves it. You're 100% biased toward Illinois and can't at all admit that another state might be better than Illinois in certain categories. Also are you part of the Springfield tourism department now? I could find just as much in Lansing as Springfield and possibly more. I know I could find more in Grand Rapids than Springfield.

I can almost guarantee that you'll have a much better meal in Springfield than in GR or Lansing. It's a mini version of Chicago. Same thing with Chambana and Blormal.

Flint1979

Quote from: Crash_It on May 26, 2022, 10:23:04 PM

Even without Chicago Illinois still might blow Michigan away. They would probably be neck and neck in the worst scenario. You've probably never been to any Illinois state parks except for starved rock (I've seen plates from all over there btw so that alone should say something). Illinois state parks are also FREE vs Michigan, Indiana or even Wisconsin. Minnesota is the other state that has free state parks.
Yeah right. How many miles of Great Lakes shoreline does Illinois have? I've probably never been to any Illinois state parks, um yeah ok whatever you say there Mr. I've never been further into Michigan than Niles. What difference does it make if Illinois parks are free? What does that do to make it a better park?

Flint1979

Quote from: Crash_It on May 26, 2022, 10:25:13 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on May 26, 2022, 06:03:25 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 26, 2022, 05:22:29 PM

Edit:

Took me less than two years to burn out on Illinois, it's slim pickings outside Chicago.  I still find interesting things to do that I haven't seen in Michigan (even after living there 13 years).  About the only state Illinois is going to beat consistently in the Midwest is Indiana.  Even then, Indiana has the favored beach on Lake Michigan for Chicago area residents.

You haven't been going to the right places then because there's tons even outside of Chicago. Here are 10 things to do around Springfield

https://www.sj-r.com/story/lifestyle/travel/2022/05/26/10-things-to-see-do-summer-within-100-miles-springfield/9907855002/

Another good resource to check is this site as well:

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/states/illinois/

And then there's this one

https://www.illinoisouth.org/

And finally the flagship site for Illinois tourism:
https://www.enjoyillinois.com/

Even my own YouTube channel is a resource.. I also spotlight points of interest in any video I make outside of the videos of bad drivers.
So this proves it. You're 100% biased toward Illinois and can't at all admit that another state might be better than Illinois in certain categories. Also are you part of the Springfield tourism department now? I could find just as much in Lansing as Springfield and possibly more. I know I could find more in Grand Rapids than Springfield.

I can almost guarantee that you'll have a much better meal in Springfield than in GR or Lansing. It's a mini version of Chicago. Same thing with Chambana and Blormal.
Well you can't guarantee any of that because you've never been to Grand Rapids or Lansing, remember you've only been as far as Niles? To think that you can get a better meal in Springfield than Grand Rapids or Lansing is ultimate homerism. You are the Hawk Harrelson for Illinois, I get it.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on May 26, 2022, 10:18:57 PM
You're 100% biased toward Illinois and can't at all admit that another state might be better than Illinois in certain categories.

I'm not saying Michigan is a "slam dunk" or that it "blows away" Illinois–as some others have said–but it does seem a bit ridiculous to claim that Illinois is objectively a better vacation destination than Michigan.  Personally, I think Michigan has it by a margin, just not a hugely wide margin.  But you seem to be unable to even consider that it might possibly be true.  That's a problem.
I've been vacationing around Michigan all my life and haven't ran out of lakes to visit yet. I'm still discovering new ones too.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 26, 2022, 10:37:15 PM

I've been vacationing around Michigan all my life and haven't ran out of lakes to visit yet. I'm still discovering new ones too.

Hell, we have a family cabin on Lake Michigan up by Traverse City.  Is that even a thing that people have access to with Chicagoland shoved up along the entire Lake Michigan lakeshore of Illinois ? 

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 26, 2022, 10:42:35 PM

Hell, we have a family cabin on Lake Michigan up by Traverse City.  Is that even a thing that people have access to with Chicagoland shoved up along the entire Lake Michigan lakeshore of Illinois ?
My family has a cabin in Cedarville in the U.P. that is right on the shores of Lake Huron, there are a few islands in the way but it's basically Lake Huron out there. I know you can't have such a thing in Chicago since the entire lakeshore is taken up by parks for the most part. Just going up there is half the fun.

Crash_It

Here's a lakeside cabin resort in Illinois and that's just one of a few

https://maps.app.goo.gl/8eFFn8BijoxCWeEd8

Flint1979

Quote from: Crash_It on May 27, 2022, 04:59:54 AM

That isn't Lake Michigan.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 27, 2022, 06:52:13 AM
Quote from: Crash_It on May 27, 2022, 04:59:54 AM

That isn't Lake Michigan.

That lake he linked sure ain't great. :rolleyes:

Having a fully urbanized shore of Lake Michigan sure doesn't help sway the argument that Illinois is more scenic than the other Great Lake states.  What good is Lake Michigan for scenic value if you have to go to the Indiana Dunes or someone's family cabin in Michigan to enjoy it?

thspfc

Quote from: Crash_It on May 26, 2022, 10:23:04 PM

🤡

hotdogPi

Derailing this thread (hint: 11/8/2016) feels really tempting, but I don't know if everyone actually wants it locked or not. And if it does get locked, kphoger can't bring the non-flat road count to 200.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on May 27, 2022, 08:47:00 AM
Derailing this thread (hint: 11/8/2016) feels really tempting, but I don't know if everyone actually wants it locked or not. And if it does get locked, kphoger can't bring the non-flat road count to 200.

How much worse can it be?  Crash in this very thread was touting how all truckers were racist Republicans.  I even linked in some stuff from outside that Crash won't/hasn't acknowledge.  He'll probably just ignore whatever happened on that day and carry on with this flat-centric furor. 

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 27, 2022, 08:01:19 AM
Having a fully urbanized shore of Lake Michigan sure doesn't help sway the argument that Illinois is more scenic than the other Great Lake states.  What good is Lake Michigan for scenic value if you have to go to the Indiana Dunes or someone's family cabin in Michigan to enjoy it?

I enjoy the scenery of the downtown Chicago beaches, actually–especially Ohio Street, Oak Street, and North Avenue.  But they're a very different experience compared to the Indiana Dunes.

I don't think there's such a thing as lakeside cabins on Lake Michigan in Illinois.  But Indiana and Michigan have a long history of both vacation houses and mansions on the shore of Lake Michigan.  My father's family, after my great-grandfather immigrated from Germany, comes from Chicago.  I have a granduncle on that side who invented dual master brake cylinders and, when he sold his invention to ... um, whichever company that was, I don't remember offhand ... the money allowed him to have a huge lakeside house on the Michigan side.  My dad has early childhood memories of going there and playing with his cousins and brothers, but he didn't appreciate at the time what it must have cost to own such a property.  All that is to say that the Michigan side has been "the place to be" for decades and decades.  Illinois just doesn't have that.

The lakes in southern Illinois are great for boating and fishing, but there's not a wealth of vacation cabins.  However, take a look at Lake of Egypt for an example of one that does.  It's a different type of lake experience than the Great Lakes, but it's worth looking at.  Boating and fishing aren't really my thing, but I know that appeals to a lot of other people.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

thspfc

Whatever boating/fishing/watersports/camping/lakeside retreat options that are available in Illinois are outdone 20x each by Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota. That's not up for debate.

kphoger

Quote from: thspfc on May 27, 2022, 10:50:47 AM
Whatever boating/fishing/watersports/camping/lakeside retreat options are available in Illinois are outdone 20x each by Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota. That's not up for debate.

Agreed.  Well, maybe not camping, as there are plenty of camping opportunities in Illinois (they likely outdo Illinois but not by 20x).  But definitely the others.
Male pronouns, please.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: thspfc on May 27, 2022, 10:50:47 AM
Whatever boating/fishing/watersports/camping/lakeside retreat options that are available in Illinois are outdone 20x each by Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota. That's not up for debate.

Perhaps the greatness of Illinois rests on its proximity to so many other states with good recreational activities?  :)

(Disclosure: I'm a native of downstate Illinois, and a UIUC grad.  Love the state, if I can ignore the politics and Chicago, and would move back if circumstances permitted.   I'm hard-pressed to say that it's "better" or "worse" than other states.)

(Disclosure 2:  In a past life, I helped with recruiting for a Hartford-based insurer.  One of my selling points for Hartford the easy access to NYC, Boston, and Vermont.)

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on May 27, 2022, 10:23:15 AM

I enjoy the scenery of the downtown Chicago beaches, actually–especially Ohio Street, Oak Street, and North Avenue.  But they're a very different experience compared to the Indiana Dunes.

I don't think there's such a thing as lakeside cabins on Lake Michigan in Illinois.  But Indiana and Michigan have a long history of both vacation houses and mansions on the shore of Lake Michigan.  My father's family, after my great-grandfather immigrated from Germany, comes from Chicago.  I have a granduncle on that side who invented dual master brake cylinders and, when he sold his invention to ... um, whichever company that was, I don't remember offhand ... the money allowed him to have a huge lakeside house on the Michigan side.  My dad has early childhood memories of going there and playing with his cousins and brothers, but he didn't appreciate at the time what it must have cost to own such a property.  All that is to say that the Michigan side has been "the place to be" for decades and decades.  Illinois just doesn't have that.

The lakes in southern Illinois are great for boating and fishing, but there's not a wealth of vacation cabins.  However, take a look at Lake of Egypt for an example of one that does.  It's a different type of lake experience than the Great Lakes, but it's worth looking at.  Boating and fishing aren't really my thing, but I know that appeals to a lot of other people.

There definitely aren't any cabins along Lake Michigan in Illinois. But Wisconsin definitely has some nice properties along the lake, even south of Milwaukee. And of course, once you're north of Milwaukee there is a lot.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

MikeTheActuary

I haven't been through the submissions for the 200 example challenge yet, but in case these haven't already been shared:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.4825839,-88.8924752,3a,75y,352.7h,90.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sf8zFcVwcUA-L5UW0iJxjVw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192   (I-24 road cut)

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.772593,-89.4840707,3a,75y,293.4h,92.05t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sQ3lSaSLhFfuENnYNUVAFuA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DQ3lSaSLhFfuENnYNUVAFuA%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D213.62134%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e4 (IL3; streetview doesn't do the hills ending at the river plain justice; switch to terrain view for better impact)

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5311699,-89.0655008,3a,75y,32.07h,78.32t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1svlePxGyyYGj1L-4pxVEPEw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DvlePxGyyYGj1L-4pxVEPEw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D116.63112%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i3328!8i1664!5m1!1e4 (minor road in Southern Illinois; couldn't get a good streetview image of a nearby bluff)

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5802926,-88.436346,3a,75y,162.11h,82.28t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s8Kqh-aPiM8NAMl4mDn4KDg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D8Kqh-aPiM8NAMl4mDn4KDg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D39.533413%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e4   (IL34)

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.9125809,-89.8302706,3a,75y,4.03h,74.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szvfQzvXGaYiBoRf3z1EawA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e4 (Bridge Bypass Rd, Chester)

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.4947344,-90.2018487,3a,75y,81.05h,77.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYOsoPmJHFcP_iD1oEfD4xA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e4 (County road near Dupo; again, Streetview doesn't d it justice, switch to terrain view for better effect)

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6600783,-90.0619695,3a,75y,122.75h,70.06t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipPjFuTHYyRpt1B9-TcCcr9b_u9XYm7Td9_EGnMb!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipPjFuTHYyRpt1B9-TcCcr9b_u9XYm7Td9_EGnMb%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya88.21312-ro-0-fo100!7i5376!8i2688!5m1!1e4 (Cahokia....although ancient man-made hills probably don't count :) )

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 27, 2022, 11:09:45 AM
Quote from: kphoger on May 27, 2022, 10:23:15 AM

There definitely aren't any cabins along Lake Michigan in Illinois. But Wisconsin definitely has some nice properties along the lake, even south of Milwaukee. And of course, once you're north of Milwaukee there is a lot.

I was originally going to say "cabins in Wisconsin"  but then I remember it is a trigger word for the OP.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.