News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite Store-brand & Restaurant Pizza Chains?

Started by thenetwork, May 07, 2022, 09:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: jgb191 on May 10, 2022, 12:43:01 PMI'll put it this way: even the least-good family-owned or locally-owned pizzeria that I've been to was way better quality than Pizza Hut.
Consider yourself lucky - I've had any number of pizzas that were from locally-owned pizzerias and were worse than Pizza Hut.  The last time I got a pizza from Gelsosomo's (a local chain in NWI), it...wasn't a pizza, but it was still good.

kphoger

Quote from: jgb191 on May 10, 2022, 12:43:01 PM
Uno's buttery crust is my favorite part of their slice (any slice for that matter).  And I trust any family-owned local diner/cafe over a nationwide chain.  I'll put it this way: even the least-good family-owned or locally-owned pizzeria that I've been to was way better quality than Pizza Hut.

Pizza Hut isn't the only chain, though.  I don't think I've ever had a bad pizza from Papa John's, for example.  Same with Papa Murphy's, where I can literally watch them put the toppings on, and then I get to be in charge of how long it stays in the oven.

In my experience, local family-owned pizza joints are almost always good, but a substantial number of them are good in part because their pizza is dripping in grease.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

My taste in pizza has been honed since living in NY.  There is a lot of bad pizza out there in dinky pizzerias as well as chains (Papa Gino's comes to mind...yuk).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Takumi

I can't imagine Pizza Hut being worse than whatever they're doing over in Altoona. (Thankfully Sheetz hasn't picked up on it. Yet.)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

All the love I've seen shown for Casey's pizza in other threads, yet no one has mentioned it here.

For the record, I've never had Casey's pizza.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on May 10, 2022, 03:31:16 PM
All the love I've seen shown for Casey's pizza in other threads, yet no one has mentioned it here.

No one said anything about gas station pizza.

My favorite gas station pizza is Casey's.

wriddle082

For frozen pizza, I have a nostalgic fondness for Stouffer's french bread pizza.  Otherwise, Totino's is ok on occasion, and I used to like DiGiorno but it seems like every time I make one it's very inconsistent.  But it could be my oven, or convection toaster oven, that's screwing it up.

For chain pizza, I used to go to Papa Murphy's all the time in TN, because they were excellent and I could watch it be assembled and control the cooking myself.  Sadly, no locations anywhere near me in SC.  I think it might be time for them to go through a growth phase.  Other regional chains that I've tried and liked over the years include Papa Gino's in MA and LaRosa's around Cincinnati, which has now spread south to Lexington.  Also Sir Pizza, which is an old franchise that I've seen mostly in the Nashville area and the Piedmont area of NC, though I think they started in IN.

There is also a regional chain based in Ashland, KY called Giovanni's that many Eastern Kentucky natives truly believe is the best.  I grew up with it and got tired of it myself, but during a visit to my mother in Lexington a few years ago she ordered some Giovanni's as they had recently opened a location near her.  It took me back, and I instantly got over being tired of it and wanted more.

For national chain pizza, I usually settle for Papa John's but tell them to make the pizza well done.  But if Hungry Howie's or Donato's are options, I will choose them instead.

I don't think I've ever had Casey's as far as gas station pizza is concerned, but QT's pizza isn't too bad if you get it fresh.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on May 10, 2022, 11:19:15 AM
Blackjack is where I work, and it's decent. Mostly a Colorado/Wyoming thing, but I think they have store or two in AZ and FL.

We have one that's basically jalapeno poppers on a pizza, with this raspberry drizzle stuff on it that is to die for.

I order Blackjack a lot because they send out so many coupons. Pretty decent too.

Rothman

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 10, 2022, 04:21:54 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 10, 2022, 03:31:16 PM

No one said anything about gas station pizza.

My favorite gas station pizza is Casey's.
As I said in another thread, my wife was enticed into a Casey's for pizza by a poster hung on its wall.  She shortly came out empty-handed and disgusted.

Gas stations are no place to buy pizza, no matter how strong the desire.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

thenetwork

Quote from: ibthebigd on May 08, 2022, 06:12:47 PM
I like Donato's

SM-G996U

I used to have a Donatos at the end of my street when I lived in Ohio.  I would have to say getting it at an ACTUAL Donatos is truly worth it...Getting it at a Red Robin (which recently added Donatos pizzas at my area Colorado store) can be a hit or miss.

Been a while since I've been back in Cleveland, but they do/used to have a couple of good local chains:  Geppetto's and East of Chicago Pizza.  A local one off is/was Papa Nick's on the Cleveland/Lakewood border.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 10, 2022, 05:18:11 PM
Blackjack is where I work, and it's decent. Mostly a Colorado/Wyoming thing, but I think they have store or two in AZ and FL.

We have one that's basically jalapeno poppers on a pizza, with this raspberry drizzle stuff on it that is to die for.

I order Blackjack a lot because they send out so many coupons. Pretty decent too.

I don't know how it is down there, you're in a different franchise than me... up here, our phone people (who are often drivers) will, after you're done ordering, scour the coupons and deals to find something that applies... and there's always something.

The owner of my franchise is trying to recover from a previous owner who ran the place into the ground, and made a lot of bad juju up here. and he's succeeding.

if you doordash, you're paying full price.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

JayhawkCO

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on May 11, 2022, 12:09:03 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 10, 2022, 05:18:11 PM

I don't know how it is down there, you're in a different franchise than me... up here, our phone people (who are often drivers) will, after you're done ordering, scour the coupons and deals to find something that applies... and there's always something.

The owner of my franchise is trying to recover from a previous owner who ran the place into the ground, and made a lot of bad juju up here. and he's succeeding.

if you doordash, you're paying full price.

I get coupons emailed to me probably every other day. 50% off is a pretty regular one. My wife and I can get two medium pizzas delivered with tip for about $25 or so.

hbelkins

Quote from: wriddle082 on May 10, 2022, 05:13:24 PM

For chain pizza, I used to go to Papa Murphy's all the time in TN, because they were excellent and I could watch it be assembled and control the cooking myself.  Sadly, no locations anywhere near me in SC.  I think it might be time for them to go through a growth phase.  Other regional chains that I've tried and liked over the years include Papa Gino's in MA and LaRosa's around Cincinnati, which has now spread south to Lexington.  Also Sir Pizza, which is an old franchise that I've seen mostly in the Nashville area and the Piedmont area of NC, though I think they started in IN.

There is also a regional chain based in Ashland, KY called Giovanni's that many Eastern Kentucky natives truly believe is the best.  I grew up with it and got tired of it myself, but during a visit to my mother in Lexington a few years ago she ordered some Giovanni's as they had recently opened a location near her.  It took me back, and I instantly got over being tired of it and wanted more.

Sir Pizza had numerous locations in Kentucky, including Morehead and Winchester. Ate there reasonably often when I was in college in Morehead, and a few times when I lived in Winchester. They cut their pizza into squares. I liked their pizza.

LaRosa's was sold at Kings Island, and that's the only time I've ever had it. It's been decades since I've been to Kings Island, but I remember LaRosa's as having a lot -- I mean a LOT -- of cheese, which I liked.

Never had Giovanni's, but there was another chain in northeastern Kentucky called Pasquale's that was a favorite in Morehead. Brought back a lot of memories when I was in Morehead for a work meeting a few years ago and we decided to eat lunch there.

Other regional chains that appear to have popular followings are Steph & Andy's Pizza Plus (far southeastern Kentucky, southern West Virginia, southwestern Virginia and far northeastern Tennessee) and Gino's Pizza & Spaghetti in West Virginia. I haven't had either, but they sure seem to have a loyal fan base.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: hbelkins on May 11, 2022, 12:42:01 PM
Sir Pizza had numerous locations in Kentucky, including Morehead and Winchester. Ate there reasonably often when I was in college in Morehead, and a few times when I lived in Winchester. They cut their pizza into squares. I liked their pizza.

I wouldn't want it THAT often, but there are a couple (I think just 2 now, used to be 3) Sir Pizza's in the North Hills (of the Pittsburgh region), and I also usually enjoy their pizza.  In addition to the round pizza cut into squares, all the toppings are also ground up  (so, for instance, pepperoni crumbles instead of round slices).   It's all part of their "Good to the very edge" slogan.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

snowc

Quote from: Rothman on May 07, 2022, 10:45:25 PM
There's a regional chain in the Albany, NY area called I Love NY Pizza and it's typically good.  Not sure how many locations they have.
Ever heard of Taste of Heaven and Twin Trees?
I like them. But needs more taste to it.
https://goo.gl/maps/WmNvn6LtJv79vvaZ9

skluth

I lived in Madison WI in the late 70s and frequently bought Rocky Rococo's by the slice. They only made deep dish-style pizza and you could order a slice and glass of beer at their old location across from the UW Bookstore. (Drinking age was 18 in WI at the time.) They were a growing chain for a short time in the 80s but I believe they're mostly just in Wisconsin now. No idea if I'd still like them as I don't know if they changed their recipe which, according to a former roommate who worked at their original Gilman St location, included a slice of muenster between the crust and sauce along with the standard mozzarella topping the sauce for a really cheesy slice.

I also want to mention my least favorite pizza, St Louis-style pizza. My first experience was when I moved to St Louis in the late 80s and tried it out. It's not just mediocre; it's awful. The crust is like a cracker and topped with a thin, watery sauce. The cheese isn't mozzarella but a weird processed cheese called provel. The cheese separates in the oven and leaves large puddles of oily mess on the surface. Local chains that serve this monstrosity include Imo's (the inventor), Elicia's, and Cecil Whittaker's. While many locals love this, probably because they grew up with it, most transplants hate it. I recommend Dewey's or Pi (my local favorite with a big π symbol on the façade) if you visit St Louis.

abefroman329

I'm almost positive there were Rocky Rococo's in Chicagoland in the 80s. IIRC, they were one of the first pizza chains to offer a whole wheat crust.

dlsterner

Quote from: skluth on May 15, 2022, 12:48:21 PM
I lived in Madison WI in the late 70s and frequently bought Rocky Rococo's by the slice. They only made deep dish-style pizza and you could order a slice and glass of beer at their old location across from the UW Bookstore. (Drinking age was 18 in WI at the time.) They were a growing chain for a short time in the 80s but I believe they're mostly just in Wisconsin now. No idea if I'd still like them as I don't know if they changed their recipe which, according to a former roommate who worked at their original Gilman St location, included a slice of muenster between the crust and sauce along with the standard mozzarella topping the sauce for a really cheesy slice.

As I understand it, many recipes for deep dish pizza do indeed call for a layer of cheese between the crust and the sauce.  (Speculation on my part) I'm thinking it might be to inhibit the crust soaking up too much sauce as it cooks.

Similar to your case, when I was a student in the late 1970's (University of Florida) there was a local pizza place called "Leonardo's" that only served deep dish pizza, and served as my introduction to it.

snowc

I like Pizza Hut and Papa Johns, but NOT Dominos!
We have all three in our area as of now.
Pizza Hut is very good, and fills you up.
Papa Johns is too expensive, but is good. That garlic sauce is good!
Dominos, nope. Too greasy and too doughy. Almost got sick.
Bryce

Rothman

snowc

jeffandnicole

Quote from: snowc on May 15, 2022, 04:56:29 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 15, 2022, 04:22:48 PM
Pizza Hut is not very good.
Which is better, Papa Johns or Pizza Hut?
Bryce

It's kinda like asking which worst place team is the best. One may be slightly better, but they both suck.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 15, 2022, 01:18:15 PM
I'm almost positive there were Rocky Rococo's in Chicagoland in the 80s. IIRC, they were one of the first pizza chains to offer a whole wheat crust.

There is one in the MSP area, in Brooklyn Center. I've never eaten there; I found the Rocky's I did have in La Crosse to be average enough to not be worth going out of my way for again.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

I had a very good pizza for lunch last Thursday from Square Pie Guys on Mission Street in San Francisco. It was rather pricey, but it was excellent and the service was fast. I suppose they qualify as a chain because their website said they have a second location in Oakland.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 15, 2022, 06:02:07 PM
I had a very good pizza for lunch last Thursday from Square Pie Guys on Mission Street in San Francisco. It was rather pricey, but it was excellent and the service was fast. I suppose they qualify as a chain because their website said they have a second location in Oakland.
I miss Blondie's on Market.  Cheap, average pizza.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.