Freeways that don't carry a lot of long-distance traffic going past its terminus

Started by SkyPesos, August 17, 2023, 05:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

I-74 EB from Indianapolis to Cincinnati my example, and I'll use it to explain this thread as the title isn't great.
The two most reasonable directions for traffic on EB I-74 to continue past Cincy is to the south or east. But for Indianapolis (and points northwest from it like Chicago) to Lexington (and points beyond on SB I-75), I-65 to I-64 is recommended by Google Maps. Indy to Charleston WV (and points beyond like Virginia and the Carolinas), it's I-70 to US 35. So I-74 effectively "dead ends" in Cincinnati for long-distance traffic in that sense.

What are other interstate highway segments like this?

Dirt Roads

I-79 into Charleston, West Virginia certainly qualifies.  It's faster to take Corridor L (US-19) to the West Virginia Turnpike and down I-81 to get from Pittsburgh -to- Knoxville.  Secondly, you could take I-70, I-71 and I-75 to get there.  Apple Maps recommends a third route that makes no sense whatsoever:  I-70, I-77, Corridor G (US-119), more US-119, US-58 and US-25E (that would make sense to take I-79 all-the-way).

pianocello

I-77 in Cleveland, but that's just because there's nowhere else in that direction for traffic to go.

I was trying to find similar low-hanging fruit in the Great Lakes region, but I-55, I-57, I-65, and I-88 would all funnel heavy amounts of traffic towards downtown Chicago. Also using geographical features as backboards also feels a bit like it goes against the spirit of what SkyPesos had in mind for this thread.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Henry

I-64 west of St. Louis is definitely another one, because I-70 is favored by most traffic.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ilpt4u

Quote from: Henry on August 17, 2023, 10:12:31 PM
I-64 west of St. Louis is definitely another one, because I-70 is favored by most traffic.
That plus MoDOT doesn't advertise I-64 and US 61 as the southern end of the Avenue of the Saints aka the best route to the Twin Cities from St Louis. With a bit more marketing/messaging maybe more Long Distance traffic would continue beyond the I-64 western terminus...Especially for that SE-NW traffic that ends up on I-64 from I-24

Of course building a freeway, or at least free flowing, Hannibal bypass would make the AotS a better route, anyway, but I digress

KCRoadFan

Quote from: pianocello on August 17, 2023, 10:01:53 PM
I-77 in Cleveland, but that's just because there's nowhere else in that direction for traffic to go.

I suppose that makes sense for people heading up I-77 to Erie or Buffalo, because they would take I-271 north to I-90 east - but what about Cedar Point, or other places just west of Cleveland?

SkyPesos

Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 17, 2023, 11:13:05 PM

I suppose that makes sense for people heading up I-77 to Erie or Buffalo, because they would take I-271 north to I-90 east - but what about Cedar Point, or other places just west of Cleveland?
Exited off I-77 at I-80.

Or if they're coming from further south on I-77 like in WV, going via Columbus would be the better option.

CoreySamson

I feel like this applies to the northern terminus of the southern section of I-49 in Texarkana (yes I know the Texarkana-Shreveport and Shreveport-Lafayette sections of it are still disconnected, but I'm treating the route as one for the purposes of this).

Generally E-W long distance traffic between Dallas and the SE using I-49 is not going to be using it since most of the traffic dumps off onto I-20, so that leaves N-S traffic as the sole generator of long-distance traffic. However, interests in NE Texas and southwards have US 59 as the best option to get north in the area (and vice versa). Long distance traffic trying to get between Louisiana east of I-49 and points north of Arkansas either detours via US 167/I-40/I-49 in most cases or via I-45/I-35 in Texas because of the current state of US 71 in western Arkansas.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

JustDrive

Konza

The northern terminus of I-17 in Flagstaff. 

I-11 would be like this if it were completed into the Phoenix area; most of the northbound traffic would not go past Las Vegas.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

wriddle082

Quote from: JustDrive on August 18, 2023, 01:11:11 AM
The southern terminus of I-97?

I'd say most of that traffic is headed to the Bay Bridge and Ocean City.  I'd also say that a good chunk of the traffic angling towards I-95 and Richmond actually stays on I-97 and then turns west on US 50/301 to catch 301 south in Bowie instead of using MD 3.  MD 3 is a traffic-light-riddled slog between I-97 and US 50 (as is much of 301 south anyway), but that freeway detour to the east does save a few minutes, especially during rush hour.

US 89

Quote from: Konza on August 18, 2023, 01:31:02 AM
I-11 would be like this if it were completed into the Phoenix area; most of the northbound traffic would not go past Las Vegas.

Eh, there will still be a sizable contingent of traffic going on to Salt Lake.

hbelkins

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 17, 2023, 05:57:11 PM
I-74 EB from Indianapolis to Cincinnati my example, and I'll use it to explain this thread as the title isn't great.
The two most reasonable directions for traffic on EB I-74 to continue past Cincy is to the south or east. But for Indianapolis (and points northwest from it like Chicago) to Lexington (and points beyond on SB I-75), I-65 to I-64 is recommended by Google Maps. Indy to Charleston WV (and points beyond like Virginia and the Carolinas), it's I-70 to US 35. So I-74 effectively "dead ends" in Cincinnati for long-distance traffic in that sense.

Off the top of my head, if I was going to Indy (and then either Peoria or Chicago) from my outpost in southeastern Kentucky, I would automatically assume the Louisville route would be better than the Cincinnati route. But when I got a AAA Triptik for a 1991 trip -- long before the advent of Google Maps, Mapquest, GPS units, or any of that -- I was very surprised to see the routing through Cincy.

I would think that the presence of the toll bridges in Louisville would drive even more traffic through Cincy (or more precisely, around Cincy on I-275).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

PColumbus73

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 17, 2023, 05:57:11 PM

You might be able to argue that the section of I-74 through the Quad Cities is similar to the section between Indianapolis and Cincinnati. Since the Quad Cities have I-80 and I-280, long-distance traffic wouldn't have much reason to stay on I-74 through the center of the Quad Cities.

adwerkema

A smaller-scale example: I-196 approaching Grand Rapids from the southwest. Traffic heading north will take US-131 while traffic heading east will take MI-6. This leaves the final ~4 miles of I-196 to primarily local traffic.

Dough4872

Quote from: wriddle082 on August 18, 2023, 02:26:52 AM
Quote from: JustDrive on August 18, 2023, 01:11:11 AM
The southern terminus of I-97?

I'd say most of that traffic is headed to the Bay Bridge and Ocean City.  I'd also say that a good chunk of the traffic angling towards I-95 and Richmond actually stays on I-97 and then turns west on US 50/301 to catch 301 south in Bowie instead of using MD 3.  MD 3 is a traffic-light-riddled slog between I-97 and US 50 (as is much of 301 south anyway), but that freeway detour to the east does save a few minutes, especially during rush hour.

One time I was heading to Richmond from Philadelphia and the GPS suggested using I-97 to MD 3 to US 301 to bypass DC. Based on that I don't think taking I-97 to US 50/US 301 saves time.

Revive 755

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 17, 2023, 10:33:57 PM
That plus MoDOT doesn't advertise I-64 and US 61 as the southern end of the Avenue of the Saints aka the best route to the Twin Cities from St Louis. With a bit more marketing/messaging maybe more Long Distance traffic would continue beyond the I-64 western terminus...Especially for that SE-NW traffic that ends up on I-64 from I-24

Of course building a freeway, or at least free flowing, Hannibal bypass would make the AotS a better route, anyway, but I digress

Given the rate that speed cameras are going up in Iowa, with one coming to the Avenue just north of the Missouri border . . .

pianocello

Quote from: PColumbus73 on August 18, 2023, 01:07:58 PM

You might be able to argue that the section of I-74 through the Quad Cities is similar to the section between Indianapolis and Cincinnati. Since the Quad Cities have I-80 and I-280, long-distance traffic wouldn't have much reason to stay on I-74 through the center of the Quad Cities.

If we're comparing the ends of I-74, I-80 and I-280 serve a similar function to I-275, not as much quite like the long-range bypasses on the Cincinnati end mentioned in the OP.

An equivalent would be if the US 34/IA 163 corridor between Des Moines and Galesburg served as a viable alternative to I-74 and I-80, but AFAIK it doesn't quite cut it.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

andrepoiy

The vast majority of traffic at the southern end of Highway 400 continues onto Highway 401, and only usually local traffic continues south to its terminus.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Konza on August 18, 2023, 01:31:02 AM
The northern terminus of I-17 in Flagstaff. 

This is the fastest route for trucks between Phoenix and Denver.

thenetwork

Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 17, 2023, 11:13:05 PM

Technically, for the last several years, if one was to take I-77 to it's very end at I-90, you have only two options:  East 9th Street into downtown or I-90 East.  When starting the new Innerbelt bridge project, they eliminated the ramp to I-90 West.

Made sense as now most I-90 West traffic from I-77 either takes I-490 West across the Cuyahoga River or takes the I-480 West to SR-176/Jennings Freeway combination.  Both options place you right at the I-90/I-71 interchange.

Dirt Roads

How about I-26 into Kingsport?  From Asheville, taking I-40 -to- I-75 is about an hour faster to get to Lexington than staying on I-26 (yeah, I know you've got to take I-640 around Knoxville to do this right).  But while I-26 is the fastest route from Asheville -to- Huntington, West Virginia, if you are headed from Georgia Southern to Marshall for a SunBelt football game you would avoid I-26 altogether (even though I-26 is part of the shortest route).   :hmmm:

DandyDan

It depends on what you mean by "a lot", but I doubt I-35 in Duluth, I-39 in Wausau and I-41 and I-43 in Green Bay get a lot of long distance traffic. It
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Rothman

Quote from: DandyDan on August 20, 2023, 04:01:51 PM
It depends on what you mean by "a lot", but I doubt I-35 in Duluth, I-39 in Wausau and I-41 and I-43 in Green Bay get a lot of long distance traffic. It

North Shore of Minnesota booms with tourists now in the summer, so MN 61 is not just for locals any longer.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Rothman on August 20, 2023, 04:37:26 PM
Quote from: DandyDan on August 20, 2023, 04:01:51 PM

North Shore of Minnesota booms with tourists now in the summer, so MN 61 is not just for locals any longer.

Some traffic also peels off on TH 33 and US 53 to the Range. I debated whether I-35 made sense for this thread, since a lot of traffic on 61 is just day traffic that takes a sharp drop after Split Rock and returns to hotels in Duluth and Two Harbors in the evening.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.