News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-69 in TX

Started by Grzrd, October 09, 2010, 01:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBox

Some I-69/US-59 project concept of a some upgrade at Lufkin near Moffett overpass
https://lufkindailynews.com/news/community/article_d8e68324-9253-50f9-955a-5fd9a857ec34.html
Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

Giddings bypass, Elgin bypass, and Elgin-Manor freeway/tollway when?

TheBox

Also meanwhile, TxDOT is also apparently planning to upgrade SH-36 between I-69/US-59 in Rosenburg and US-290 in Brenham

they're really considering upgrading SH-36 before upgrading the rest of US-290, are they
Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

Thegeet

Quote from: TheBox on January 16, 2022, 12:10:48 PM
Some I-69/US-59 project concept of a some upgrade at Lufkin near Moffett overpass
https://lufkindailynews.com/news/community/article_d8e68324-9253-50f9-955a-5fd9a857ec34.html
That's the Lufkin frontage road project between Moffett Rd. and SH 103 that's in progress.
Quote from: TheBox on January 16, 2022, 12:14:43 PM
Also meanwhile, TxDOT is also apparently planning to upgrade SH-36 between I-69/US-59 in Rosenburg and US-290 in Brenham

they're really considering upgrading SH-36 before upgrading the rest of US-290, are they
Imagine if it took ages to upgrade US 290.

yakra

Quote from: https://lufkindailynews.com/news/community/article_d8e68324-9253-50f9-955a-5fd9a857ec34.html
Interstate standards require certain lane widths, certain safety standards, eliminating any crossovers of main lanes with other roads, providing access roads and more, Oaks said.
heh

Edit: Here's an article on the Nacogdoches flyover's progress, with some neato aerial photos:
https://kicks105.com/night-work-and-new-detours-set-to-begin-for-hwy-59-in-nacogdoches/
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

TheBox

According to TxDOT, construction on the Riveria bypass should start in 4 years or maybe less
https://apps3.txdot.gov/apps-cq/project_tracker/

GreenLanternCorps

Because it's a slow day at work, and because I'm curious, I did a quick trip down Future I-369/69/E?C/W (Via Google maps, and consulting other websites) to get an idea of what is either finished or under construction for the entire route.

I-369

Texarkana - Complete from I-30 to just short of the US-59 interchange (which will have to be rebuilt)

Domino - Completed interchange at FM3129   

Atlanta  - Partially complete interchange at North End of bypass (will probably have to be completely rebuilt)

Marshall - Partially complete interchange on  Loop 390 near with TX 43 (Will require second lane and frontage roads)

Carthage - Loop with interchanges, but will require  extensive upgrading which ever side the route follows.

I-69

Nacogdoches - Flyover construction at South end of bypass

Redland - Interchange at FM2021 complete

Diboll - Diboll Relief route under construction

Livingston - Bypass appears complete to Interstate standards

Shepard - Bypass appears complete to interstate standards

Cleveland - Bypass complete

Cleveland South to Splendora - Under Construction

Splendora to Rosenburg (through Houston) Completed to Interstate ​standards, signed as I-69

Rosenburg to Wharton - Under constrcution

South of Wharton - Interchange at FM 961 partially complete - will need additional work

Pierce - Bypass exists, not to interstate standards

ElCampo - Bypass exists, partially built to Interstate standards

Louise - Bypass exists, not to interstate standards

Ganado - Bypass exists, partially built to Interstate standards

Edna - Bypass appears complete to Interstate standards

El Toro - Two Interchanges appear complete to Interstate standards - Gap between them

Inez - Bypass appears complete to Interstate standards

Victoria - Bypass exists, partially built to Interstate standards

I-69W

Victoria - Bypass exists, partially built to Interstate standards

Laredo - Completed to Interstate standards from International Blvd to Mexican Border, signed as I-69W from I-35 to Mexican Border

I-69C

Falfurrias - Highway complete to Interstate standards through town

Edinburg to I-2 - Complete and signed as I-69c

I-69E

Victoria - Small section patially completed - needs extensive work

TX 239 - Interchange complete, no frontage roads

Sinton - Bypass exists, partially built to Interstate standards

Interchange with I-37 - Partially Complete

Corpus Christi - I-69E  Completed or under constuction from I-37 South to Kingsville.  Signed as either I-69 or I-69E depending on the sign.

Sarita - Interchange complete to Interstate standards

Raymondville South to Mexican Border - under construction or built to Interstate standards, signed as I-69E

Am missing anything?

Thegeet

I-69: Lufkin- Frontage Road project on US 59 from Moffett Rd to SH 103 is underway.
Shepard- Interchange N of bypass needs reconstruction.
I-69C: Premont bypass for US 281 is under construction.

bwana39

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on January 17, 2022, 12:47:59 PM
Because it's a slow day at work, and because I'm curious, I did a quick trip down Future I-369/69/E?C/W (Via Google maps, and consulting other websites) to get an idea of what is either finished or under construction for the entire route.

I-369

Texarkana - Complete from I-30 to just short of the US-59 interchange (which will have to be rebuilt)

Domino - Completed interchange at FM3129   

Atlanta  - Partially complete interchange at North End of bypass (will probably have to be completely rebuilt)

Marshall - Partially complete interchange on  Loop 390 near with TX 43 (Will require second lane and frontage roads)

Carthage - Loop with interchanges, but will require  extensive upgrading which ever side the route follows.

Texarkana - Complete from I-30 to just short of the US-59 interchange (which will have to be rebuilt). This stretch of freeway was originally to be part of I-49 before Arkansas decided to build I-49 east of Town. It is 20+ years old.

Atlanta  - Partially complete interchange at North End of bypass (will probably have to be completely rebuilt) I am assuming you are talking about where US-59 and SH-43 (formerly US-59) meet? Thoughts are that a complete new bypass from around SH-77 to North of Queen City might be built. There are NO bridges whatsoever in Atlanta or Queen City.

Marshall - Partially complete interchange on  Loop 390 near with TX 43 (Will require second lane and frontage roads) This is the only separated anything in Marshall. There are another 4 or 5 minor intersections that will have to be built as well as the I-20 interchange.

Carthage - Loop with interchanges, but will require  extensive upgrading which ever side the route follows. Agreed, but Carthage is probably as far along or farther than Lufkin or especially Nacogdoches.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Thegeet

When can we expect a flyover in Carthage?

bwana39

Quote from: Thegeet on January 17, 2022, 05:00:08 PM
When can we expect a flyover in Carthage?

Don't know. The north end intersection is in the process of being rebuilt as is. Afraid the two ends will be the last thing to get done to freeway standards.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

TheBox

I-69 overpass @ FM 2914 (just below Shepherd) - also completed

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: TheBox on January 17, 2022, 07:46:29 PM
I-69 overpass @ FM 2914 (just below Shepherd) - also completed

I think I counted that as part of the Shepard bypass, but you are right, the Northbound frontage roads do not connect, so there is a short gap.

Thegeet

Just drove south to Bishop. Other than Calallen (a district within the city limits of CC), new I-69E signs were posted near the entrance ramps. Nearly all I-69 signs were replaced, except a few SB n the south side of Robstown. The Business 77 NB exit for Driscoll is also open. The completed Driscoll overpasses are now painted beige and salmon. The SB bypass is about 85% paved. The reassurance markers on the main lanes still show I-69 instead of I-69E. Unfortunately, I couldn't take enough pictures, but the new I-69E signs (sorry, no new ones on BGS) are appearing throughout the freeway. I will upload the pictures soon.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: Thegeet on January 20, 2022, 05:59:08 PM
Just drove south to Bishop. Other than Calallen (a district within the city limits of CC), new I-69E signs were posted near the entrance ramps. Nearly all I-69 signs were replaced, except a few SB n the south side of Robstown. The Business 77 NB exit for Driscoll is also open. The completed Driscoll overpasses are now painted beige and salmon. The SB bypass is about 85% paved. The reassurance markers on the main lanes still show I-69 instead of I-69E. Unfortunately, I couldn't take enough pictures, but the new I-69E signs (sorry, no new ones on BGS) are appearing throughout the freeway. I will upload the pictures soon.

Pretty soon, there will be a free flowing portion of US 77 from Corpus Christi to Kingsville, later leading to the extension of I-69E.
Renewed roadgeek

sprjus4

Virtually all of Brownsville to Houston is already free-flowing - only exceptions being Riviera, Odem, and Refugio now.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 20, 2022, 10:12:00 PM
Virtually all of Brownsville to Houston is already free-flowing - only exceptions being Riviera, Odem, and Refugio now.

Very neat. :bigass:

When do we think this portion from Brownsville to Houston will be complete?
Renewed roadgeek

sprjus4

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on January 21, 2022, 02:35:57 AM

In regards to free flowing, or full interstate standards?

Free flowing, whenever those bypasses are finally constructed. Hopefully by 2030. Mainly operates with a 75 mph speed limit, though the Kingsville to I-37 segment is currently 70 mph with 65 mph through Kingsville. Most of this could and should be reasonably increased to 75 mph, especially with it soon to be full interstate standards.

Interstate standards... decades off unless upgrades are expedited on those long rural segments to add continuous frontage roads and rural overpasses every few miles. South of I-37 will likely be completed within the next decade, the segment north of I-37 is further away.

Slightly off topic, but a completed I-69E in rural areas, along with virtually the entire length of I-37 as is today, could be candidates for an 80 mph speed limit. Light traffic volumes, and relatively straight alignment throughout. Comparable to the existing 80 mph segments of I-10 and I-20.

jgb191

There is also a slowdown in Woodsboro and Ricardo with reduced speed at 55 MPH.  Although a bypass I don't believe is necessary there, there would probably need to be a couple of overpasses in each of those towns.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

abqtraveler

The rate at which they're going right now, I would say the by the end of the next decade (maybe sooner), you'll have a fully-functional interstate route from Houston to Brownsville.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

TheBox

Quote from: abqtraveler on January 21, 2022, 09:12:27 AM

The rate at which they're going right now, I would say the by the end of the next decade (maybe sooner), you'll have a fully-functional interstate route from Houston to Brownsville.
Now if only US-290 is a fully free-flow, if not functional interstate from Houston to Austin too

Yes, we already have TX-71 (which is nearly free-flow from Austin to Columbus), but that is more of a alternative in the same way TX-6 is to I-45 or US-90 Alt is to I-10 (tho TX-71 is more popular than those other two), whiling i think US-290 has more traffic..........if i'm not mistaken

jgb191

Something aside (but related to) the topic: 

Before the current I-69 plans was initialized in Texas, my personal thoughts were to alter the course of I-37 in one of two possible ways:

Scenario 1) Keep the section from San Antonio to Calallen exit # 14 junction with US-77.  Re-route I-37 along the US-77 south of Calallen all the way to Brownsville.  Rename the current I-37 segment from Calallen to Corpus Christi as 'I-137'

Scenario 2) Keep the section from San Antonio to Three Rivers exit # 72 separation with US-281.  Reroute I-37 south of Three Rivers, along US-281 instead of the separation, all the way to McAllen.  Rename the current I-37 segment from Three Rivers to Corpus Christi as 'I-137'

In both scenarios, my idea was also to connect an interstate highway from Laredo to Corpus Christi (as either I-4 or I-6), along US-59 from Laredo to Freer, and along TX-44 from there to Corpus Christi.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Bobby5280

I think the I-69 segment between Houston and Victoria could be finished by 2030, if not earlier. Victoria to I-37 could take a good while longer. The Calallen-Robstown-Kingsville segment of I-69E will be finished soon. But there's no telling how long TX DOT will take to fill the gap between Kingsville and Yturria. They could probably build it out really fast since there is hardly anything in the way other than the bypass for Riviera. Likewise TX DOT could just as easily say, "this part of US-77 is good enough for now, see you in 30 years."

Quote from: sprjus4Interstate standards... decades off unless upgrades are expedited on those long rural segments to add continuous frontage roads and rural overpasses every few miles. South of I-37 will likely be completed within the next decade, the segment north of I-37 is further away.

Isn't TX DOT still looking at building short frontage road segments to provide basic RIRO access for some of that at-grade intersections in rural areas? It's supposed to be a money-saving measure as opposed to building continuous frontage roads the whole length of the Interstate upgrade project.

Echostatic

Quote from: TheBox on January 21, 2022, 11:07:46 AM
Yes, we already have TX-71 (which is nearly free-flow from Austin to Columbus), but that is more of a alternative in the same way TX-6 is to I-45 or US-90 Alt is to I-10 (tho TX-71 is more popular than those other two), whiling i think US-290 has more traffic..........if i'm not mistaken

TX-71 had daily traffic of around 50k in Bastrop down to 12k just outside Columbus, using 2019 data for a pre-COVID baseline. US 290 had 31k in Elgin down to about 10k near Paige. Seems pretty similar, if not favoring 71.
Travelled in part or in full.

Thegeet

I highly think that I-69 from Victoria to Houston will be finished in about 2040. They still have to work on Jackson county, which has segments of non-freeway road, and they will want to replace every overpass over US 59. I think funding is a key part in time. They even told me that Jackson county wouldn't begin studies until the mid 2030's.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Thegeet on January 21, 2022, 02:11:05 PM
I highly think that I-69 from Victoria to Houston will be finished in about 2040. They still have to work on Jackson county, which has segments of non-freeway road, and they will want to replace every overpass over US 59. I think funding is a key part in time. They even told me that Jackson county wouldn't begin studies until the mid 2030's.

I would say way earlier than that.  There are a lot of stretches already built to freeway standards.  The gaps between keep getting shorter. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.