News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurdueBill

Quote from: vdeane on April 19, 2016, 01:20:07 PM
I don't care what measurement system DE 1 uses, as long as it uses the same one for exit numbers, distance signage, and milemarkers.  Either put the distance signage and milemarkers back to km or switch the exit numbers to miles.  I can work with miles, I can work with km, but I can't convert between the two willy-nilly; when in Canada, I drop the US units and think in metric (where I'm familiar enough with the metric to do that, which in practice means distance signs and speed limits, but not gas stations, weather reports, or thermostats), but with DE 1, one has to constantly convert the km-based exit numbers back to miles in order for them to be useful.  When I traveled that road, I had no reference to neither how close I was to my destination nor how many exits were in between.  At least everywhere else, I'd have one or the other.

And I-95 and I-495 should really be switched off of sequential (I'd like to see exit numbers on I-295 as well).

I remember when it first opened and there were signs like Toll Plaza 500 m......no one knew where the hell that was.  When will you see it?  In half an hour? Around the next bend? 

It would be interesting to see the exits at the north end go from numbers around 100 to the 160s and back to 100.

mrsman

Quote from: PurdueBill on April 20, 2016, 08:15:10 PM
I don't care what measurement system DE 1 uses, as long as it uses the same one for exit numbers, distance signage, and milemarkers.  Either put the distance signage and milemarkers back to km or switch the exit numbers to miles.  I can work with miles, I can work with km, but I can't convert between the two willy-nilly; when in Canada, I drop the US units and think in metric (where I'm familiar enough with the metric to do that, which in practice means distance signs and speed limits, but not gas stations, weather reports, or thermostats), but with DE 1, one has to constantly convert the km-based exit numbers back to miles in order for them to be useful.  When I traveled that road, I had no reference to neither how close I was to my destination nor how many exits were in between.  At least everywhere else, I'd have one or the other.

And I-95 and I-495 should really be switched off of sequential (I'd like to see exit numbers on I-295 as well).

I remember when it first opened and there were signs like Toll Plaza 500 m......no one knew where the hell that was.  When will you see it?  In half an hour? Around the next bend? 

It would be interesting to see the exits at the north end go from numbers around 100 to the 160s and back to 100.

If DE insists on km exit numbers, they should put the milemarkers on metric as well.  For the distance signs, distances should be listed in both US and metric units.  So signs list  "Main Street 1 mile (1.6 km)" or "Dover 10 miles (16 km)" would probably be the best in this situation.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mrsman on April 28, 2016, 08:50:45 AM

If DE insists on km exit numbers, they should put the milemarkers on metric as well.  For the distance signs, distances should be listed in both US and metric units.  So signs list  "Main Street 1 mile (1.6 km)" or "Dover 10 miles (16 km)" would probably be the best in this situation.

Wasn't that tried at one point in some state, and found to be much too confusing?

In reality, no one needs to know, or care, about km while they're driving.  If you had an emergency on DE 1 and told 911 you were at MP 157, they know what you're talking about.  The only difference is what was alluded to earlier...posts 160-120 isn't going to be 40 miles.  Again, ost people don't know that, or care.

vdeane

If you've gotten on the highway, and know you need to get off at exit 166, you should be able to look at any mile/km marker and do the math to figure out how far away you are.  You can't do that on DE 1.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on April 28, 2016, 12:58:45 PM
If you've gotten on the highway, and know you need to get off at exit 166, you should be able to look at any mile/km marker and do the math to figure out how far away you are.  You can't do that on DE 1.

Right.  I know that.  You know that.  Most people on these boards know that.   But like I said, I doubt many others know that, or at least give it much thought.  Very few are looking at their odometers and thinking to themselves they think they have 30 miles (or whatever) to go, but find themselves at the exit much sooner.  Being the highway's been around for 20 or so years in it's current state, it's not something that seems to register as any importance to DelDOT or the people driving the highway.

Besides...it's Delaware.  You can't measure distance on I-95 either via their exit numbers.

vdeane

I'm not staring at the odometer... I'm staring at the milemarkers and doing the math in my head!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

You have to remember also that DE just raised the speed limit on I-95 south of Wilmington to 65 last year.  I would not expect too much else from them.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 28, 2016, 11:03:25 AM
Quote from: mrsman on April 28, 2016, 08:50:45 AM

Wasn't that tried at one point in some state, and found to be much too confusing?

You'll find it near the USA/Canada border on both sides. Quebec and Vermont come to mind.

jeffandnicole

For those entering Delaware via the Delaware Memorial Bridge, expect some big delays this summer.  The project to widen some of 295 thru the US 13/40 interchange has started.  This limits much of 295 to 3 lanes, vs, the normal 4 lanes.  On 295 South approaching the 13/40 interchange, the 13/40 exit now only has 1 lane, not 2 lanes.  There are 2 tight lanes on 295 over 13/40. On the other side, a 3rd lane appears, but it's a tight shoulder lane which is an Exit Only lane for 495.  95 North splits off from the 2 thru lanes to 95 South. 

The DRBA has done a massively spectacular failure of a job with the road signage when the project first started, although it's now improved a bit.  It was basically: Block the lanes and reconfigure the roadway first, and the signage will come later.

Most everyone is used to getting over to the left-most 2 lanes heading to 95.  When the project first start, the left lane simply ended with cones and concrete barriers, with no signage or warning whatsoever.  Confusion ensued as the former right-center lane now kept motorists on 295, rather than exiting for 13/40.  The overhead BGSs had been removed or slightly modified, but weren't updated with the proper lane configuration.  When you got closer to the 95 North/South exit, it was absolutely impossible to figure out what the lanes were for. 

Today, the first set of overhead signs after the toll booth at least informs motorists the left lane is closed (although I don't think it communicates that the right-center lane is now for 95.  Further down the road, a VMS sign does point to the two lanes that are used to get to 95/495.  Next to that are odd white-on-green 13 & 40 shields with a white-on-green arrow shield pointing to the current right lane, all of which is on a green structure.  Further south is some more signage for "95 Thru-Lanes", with down arrows.

The lane reductions and signage could've been handled much better, and has brought on quite a bit of confusion for motorists, especially those that travel thru this area just a few times a year.

mariethefoxy

last month I went thru that area and it was a mess, I immediately got off at US 13/40 and took that to DE 1.

Alex4897

Oops.  Due to a surveying error, DelDOT recently rebuilt the bridge on Newport Road over the CSX line 6" too low.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2016/05/23/newport-bridge-too-low-deldot-must-correct-mistake/84553084/
👉😎👉

jeffandnicole

Dash cam video of a deadly accident on DE Route 1.  You have to look carefully, but a car going NB crossed thru the median into the SB lanes, where several cars became involved in the accident.   http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/local/2016/05/27/wilmington-woman-killed-five-car-crash-del-1/85025370/

The median, as you can see, is narrow, with very little recovery room.  There should be a guardrail in this area to prevent these types of accidents.

Alex4897

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 27, 2016, 12:36:25 PM
The median, as you can see, is narrow, with very little recovery room.  There should be a guardrail in this area to prevent these types of accidents.

They've had a center cable guardrail completed down to the DE 299 interchange since at least 2012 according to Street View, why they haven't constructed any more is beyond me.
👉😎👉

jeffandnicole

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2016/06/09/more-closures-coming-massive-del-141-project/85643364/

141 Closures at and near I-95.

My favorite question that people ask: Why can't they do the work at night?   Hey, if they can remove and replace an entire overpass in 1 night, I'd be very impressed.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 09, 2016, 03:48:17 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2016/06/09/more-closures-coming-massive-del-141-project/85643364/

My favorite question that people ask: Why can't they do the work at night?   Hey, if they can remove and replace an entire overpass in 1 night, I'd be very impressed.
It's doable in nighttime only, but expensive. You have to construct each piece offline to precise tolerances, stage it somewhere, then bring in all the heavy machinery to break out the old pieces and drop in the new. Typically they at least try to get an entire weekend for it. It can't be done in 1 night, but it can be done over the course of several, in the most extreme cases where weekend closures are infeasible and there's no room for a temporary bypass.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on June 10, 2016, 01:11:29 AM

It's doable in nighttime only, but expensive. You have to construct each piece offline to precise tolerances, stage it somewhere, then bring in all the heavy machinery to break out the old pieces and drop in the new. Typically they at least try to get an entire weekend for it. It can't be done in 1 night, but it can be done over the course of several, in the most extreme cases where weekend closures are infeasible and there's no room for a temporary bypass.

In this case (I was thru here the other day, as it so happened), from what I can tell all lanes where the overpasses are located are open, just shifted.

The biggest issue is that traffic was already congested here.  So even with construction at night, just the presence of barrels and lane shifts will cause even further congestion.

jeffandnicole

Of the various improvements, I noticed the 141 North to 295 North missing move will be added: http://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/sr141/archivedsite-sr141-i95/virtual_wkshp/pdfs/sr141_display_presentation7.pdf

I was trying to see how they are replacing the 141 South overpass over 95/295 North.  Currently, it would be a tight squeeze to get 3 lanes under 141 for 295 North, should they ever widen this notorious bottleneck, especially on weekends/holidays.  Unfortunately, I didn't see any designs for that specifically. (And yeah, we all know about the 95/PA Turnpike connection that may reduce some of this traffic using 295 North to the Turnpike.  It's still a needed widening).

Looking at some of their other documents, it's rare to see DelDOT design and acknowledge a project where a movement is Level F now, and is projected to still be Level F in the future.  But it's one of those things where the rest of the project is an overall benefit, so they'll probably deal with that later.  ( http://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/sr141/archivedsite-sr141-i95/index.shtml , see Capacity Analysis for that specific issue)

Alex4897

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 10, 2016, 11:52:44 AM
Looking at some of their other documents, it's rare to see DelDOT design and acknowledge a project where a movement is Level F now, and is projected to still be Level F in the future.  But it's one of those things where the rest of the project is an overall benefit, so they'll probably deal with that later.  ( http://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/sr141/archivedsite-sr141-i95/index.shtml , see Capacity Analysis for that specific issue)

Are you sure that's not just for a theoretical no-build option?  I don't see any mention of the improvements on that sheet.
👉😎👉

Alex4897

Neat story discussing the effects of duPont Highway, also has a lot of cool construction pictures.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/life/2016/06/11/99-years-dupont-highway-wagons-bmws/85483090/
👉😎👉

mariethefoxy

Isnt Dupont Highway US 13? There are signs that say Dupont Highway all the way down US 13 till you reach Sussex county where the name changes to Sussex Highway.

If I remember right US 113 in Georgetown was labeled Dupont Blvd.

ixnay

Development along a back road into Lewes (New Road) could pull traffic along it up by the bootstraps, as could a proposed interchange at DE 1 in Nassau (between Nassau and U.S. 9/DE 404 is where backups typically begin on summer weekends [just after you pass St. Jude's Church]).

http://www.capegazette.com/article/lewes-releases-consultant-study-roads/111732

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

elsmere241

DelDOT released its proposed multi-year Capital Transportation Program.  Projects are sorted in order of priority.

http://deldot.gov/information/pubs_forms/CTP/ctp17-22/FY17-FY22-CTPProposedProjectImplementation.pdf

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Alps on June 10, 2016, 01:11:29 AM

CT has been doing this a lot.  Imagine that?!?! CT
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

elsmere241

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/local/2016/08/24/house-damaged-deldot-crash/89218344/

This house sits behind the intersection of Newport Gap Pike and Boxwood Road, just west of DE 141.  It has been hit five times in about as many years.

Alex4897

Looks like the DDI at DE 1 / 72 is open.

DelDOT has a traffic camera aimed down DE 72 so you can get a good look at what they've gotten done so far.  A lot of the island work outside of the center has yet to be completed.

👉😎👉

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.