News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

TxTag technology: Why it abandoned an app, has outdated website maps

Started by ZLoth, June 22, 2023, 11:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From KXAN:

TxTag technology: Why it abandoned an app, has outdated website maps
QuoteMore than a month after KXAN launched a viewer-driven investigation into TxTag, the state-run toll operation owned and operated by the Texas Department of Transportation with history of persistent issues, new concerns are being raised over its technology standards. KXAN discovered some of TxDOT's toll maps are five years out-of-date and a mobile payment app that was in the works in 2018 was quietly abandoned.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

bwana39

I think part of the problem is most people with any technological savvy have opted to the more user friendly NTTA TollTag which is 100%+ interoperable.

The media in both Austin and Houston did evaluations on which tag to use and both suggested the TollTag (NTTA). The Houston one came right out and said you probably should not use the EZTag (HCTRA) because of fees and requirements.

The TXTag is not terrible, but it is not the easiest either. Basically CTRMA decided to stop dropping money into it and  TxDOT never did.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

ZLoth

Quote from: bwana39 on June 24, 2023, 12:06:09 PMI think part of the problem is most people with any technological savvy have opted to the more user friendly NTTA TollTag which is 100%+ interoperable.

Yup, that's what I have here being in the DFW area. The app is pretty good.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.