News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

70 MPH Speed Limit Increase To 70 In Pennsylvania???

Started by jpi, October 24, 2013, 04:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MASTERNC

More details here

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/07/18/pa-turnpike-to-raise-speed-limit-to-70-mph-on-100-mile-stretch-next-week/

QuoteTurnpike spokesman Carl DeFebo says it amounts to a pilot project now that state law has been changed to allow for the higher speed limit.

"You know, we're going to take a look at this section, and see what the facts and figures pan out to be. If everything goes smoothly on this, then we would probably increase other parts of the toll road possibly sometime next year,"  DeFebo said.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 17, 2014, 07:56:33 PM
KDKA TV-2 here in Pittsburgh is going to have a story tomorrow @ 6PM about why there hasn't been any 70MPH signs posted yet.  Once they put that video up on their site, I'll link it here.

It's now up.
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/video/10382151-increase-in-speed-limit-not-coming-anytime-soon-say-officials/

Brandon

Quote from: MASTERNC on July 18, 2014, 09:44:54 PM
More details here

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/07/18/pa-turnpike-to-raise-speed-limit-to-70-mph-on-100-mile-stretch-next-week/

QuoteTurnpike spokesman Carl DeFebo says it amounts to a pilot project now that state law has been changed to allow for the higher speed limit.

"You know, we're going to take a look at this section, and see what the facts and figures pan out to be. If everything goes smoothly on this, then we would probably increase other parts of the toll road possibly sometime next year,"  DeFebo said.

Pilot project?  If they need one, ODOT is next door.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Brandon on July 19, 2014, 12:05:49 AM
Quote from: MASTERNC on July 18, 2014, 09:44:54 PM
More details here

"You know, we're going to take a look at this section, and see what the facts and figures pan out to be. If everything goes smoothly on this, then we would probably increase other parts of the toll road possibly sometime next year,” DeFebo said.

Pilot project?  If they need one, ODOT is next door.

And in 40 or so other states.

MASTERNC

Never thought I'd see this day - and it came a day early.

http://www.wgal.com/news/speed-limit-raised-to-70-mph-on-pa-turnpike/27090824#!bkbAoZ

There is a press conference tomorrow supposedly to announce more speed limit changes on the Turnpike and PennDOT highways.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

MASTERNC

Just an FYI, it sounds like anything the Turnpike announces today may not be as quick as this change.  Here is an idea of what they are looking to do:

QuoteOn the turnpike, a 70 mph speed limit will benefit the economy by allowing faster transportation of goods, said Renee Colborn, a spokeswoman for the turnpike.

Colborn described the speed change on the 100-mile stretch between Shippensburg and Reading as a "pilot program."

"This stretch, we decided to try first, just to see how it goes," she said. "The turnpike will study this for the next six to eight to 8 months. Maybe in the spring, then we'll start converting the rest of the turnpike."

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/ci_26200851/motorists-skeptical-turnpikes-70-mph-plan

PHLBOS

Quote from: MASTERNC on July 23, 2014, 08:41:05 AM
Just an FYI, it sounds like anything the Turnpike announces today may not be as quick as this change.  Here is an idea of what they are looking to do:

QuoteOn the turnpike, a 70 mph speed limit will benefit the economy by allowing faster transportation of goods, said Renee Colborn, a spokeswoman for the turnpike.

Colborn described the speed change on the 100-mile stretch between Shippensburg and Reading as a "pilot program."

"This stretch, we decided to try first, just to see how it goes," she said. "The turnpike will study this for the next six to eight to 8 months. Maybe in the spring, then we'll start converting the rest of the turnpike."

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/ci_26200851/motorists-skeptical-turnpikes-70-mph-plan

That's likely just regarding roads within the PTC system and may not be the case for PennDOT highways like I-80 for example.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quick?  It took them 8 months to 'study' areas that would permit the higher speed limit and put new signs up.  We know their construction projects move at a snails pace...this took even longer!

It had been previously planned to annouce further speed limit increases just after the PA Turnpike's limit went up.  I would think that if they are announcing other speed limit locations today, they should be active in a short period of time. Wouldn't be sensible to say they're going to study a location for several months, but announce where those other speed limit increases will be after the study is completed. 

MASTERNC

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 23, 2014, 09:32:33 AM
Quick?  It took them 8 months to 'study' areas that would permit the higher speed limit and put new signs up.  We know their construction projects move at a snails pace...this took even longer!

It had been previously planned to annouce further speed limit increases just after the PA Turnpike's limit went up.  I would think that if they are announcing other speed limit locations today, they should be active in a short period of time. Wouldn't be sensible to say they're going to study a location for several months, but announce where those other speed limit increases will be after the study is completed. 

And it will take even longer until most people see 70 MPH.  The sections PennDOT is raising to 70 are isolated (with lower traffic counts)

QuoteBeginning Aug. 11, Schoch said 70 mph speeds will be allowed on an 88-mile stretch of Interstate 80 between the DuBois exit and mile marker 189 in Clinton County and along a 21-mile section of Interstate 380 from Interstate 84 in Lackawanna County to the Pocono Pines/Mt. Pocono exit in Monroe County.

Next year, the entire 550-plus mile turnpike and sections of other non-turnpike roads could see the higher limits as well, said Schoch and turnpike CEO Mark Compton.

Another change is work zones on the Turnpike will no longer be 40 MPH, but rather 55 MPH (the same as they are when lanes aren't closed), with the caveat that more undercover speed checks will be conducted.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/07/pennsylvania_70_mph_speed_limi.html

LeftyJR

QuoteBeginning Aug. 11, Schoch said 70 mph speeds will be allowed on an 88-mile stretch of Interstate 80 between the DuBois exit and mile marker 189 in Clinton County and along a 21-mile section of Interstate 380 from Interstate 84 in Lackawanna County to the Pocono Pines/Mt. Pocono exit in Monroe County.

Next year, the entire 550-plus mile turnpike and sections of other non-turnpike roads could see the higher limits as well, said Schoch and turnpike CEO Mark Compton.

Yeah! This section of I-80 is my most traveled section!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: MASTERNC on July 23, 2014, 10:26:17 AM
And it will take even longer until most people see 70 MPH.  The sections PennDOT is raising to 70 are isolated (with lower traffic counts)

Figures this would happen AFTER the NASCAR weekend @ Pocono on I-80.

PHLBOS

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 23, 2014, 02:18:17 PMFigures this would happen AFTER the NASCAR weekend @ Pocono on I-80.
Similar could be said regarding this past year's 2014 Ford, GM & Chrysler National Events in Carlisle.  The Chrysler just show took place almost two weeks prior to the increased speed limit along that stretch of Turnpike (I-76).   
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Luckily it'll all happen before my roadtrip to Ohio in mid-September. :-)

Duke87

Sweet, just in time for me to be driving out that way later in the week!

I do wonder to what extent 70 will eventually be implemented. I could see it running right up to the NY line on US 15, I-81, and I-84, and right up to the MD line on I-81. Which would be great because those states need pressure exerted on them to join the club.

It's awesome to see 70 slowly creeping its way into the northeast.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

roadman65

I-80 needs to have it west of I-380 pretty much all the way across the state to Ohio.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

AplikowskiTheMinnesotan

Hey, if the Turnpike is gonna screw drivers out of $36 to drive across the state, the least they could go is make the speed limit 85 like they do in Texas.
Rush is the best band! Case closed.

cl94

Quote from: roadman65 on July 23, 2014, 11:40:11 PM
I-80 needs to have it west of I-380 pretty much all the way across the state to Ohio.

Exactly. There is nothing there. Nothing. The control city for I-80 in Ohio is New York.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

Quote from: AplikowskiTheMinnesotan on July 24, 2014, 07:25:39 PM
Hey, if the Turnpike is gonna screw drivers out of $36 to drive across the state, the least they could go is make the speed limit 85 like they do in Texas.
I'm scared to even drive 70 on that road.

roadman65

Wow 36 bucks to ride from Gateway to Delaware River Bridge.  That means that anyone making minimum wage would need to give up over four hours worth of wages to drive the whole length just for the tolls alone.   
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on July 25, 2014, 01:15:28 PM
Wow 36 bucks to ride from Gateway to Delaware River Bridge.  That means that anyone making minimum wage would need to give up over four hours worth of wages to drive the whole length just for the tolls alone.
Welcome to Act 44.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 25, 2014, 01:55:02 PM
Welcome to Act 44.

When you add in the cost of gas, it's probably a full day's work for someone at minimum wage.

MASTERNC

I drove part of the 70 MPH section for the first time during a trip from Philly to Lancaster.  Going westbound, the first 70 MPH sign does not appear until about a mile west of the Morgantown interchange (interestingly enough, a 65 MPH curve sign appears first).  There are definitely a lot of advisory curve signs at 65 MPH (at least 3-4 between Morgantown and Reading), which is probably overkill.

Going eastbound about 3/4 mile past the Morgantown interchange, there are two "Reduced Speed 65 MPH" signs (the yellow warning signs with arrows) within about 1/10 mile apart, followed by a 65 MPH sign another 1/10 mile later.  The change occurs about 1/2 mile before the Chester County line (probably because it is the start of the 5-county Philadelphia area).

jeffandnicole

So...I drove the 70 mph stretch on I-80 Westbound to Ohio this past Friday night.  Now, I'm always one to say one trip doesn't tell the whole story, but...

I was amazed at how slow some traffic was.  Yes, almost all of us have had issues with trucks driving beside each other for a while, but I was getting that with standard cars up here.  And I was dealing with cars going 60 mph in the left lane in the 70 zone...and they were still PASSING slower traffic!  Was there something up ahead that they were hesitant on reaching???!!!  I had my cruise at about 74 mph, and was by far one of the faster vehicles. 

I know they're still in the 'testing' phase of this 70 mph zone, but hopefully they go and expand it soon.  I haven't heard many issues regarding the speed limit increase.

AlexandriaVA

I doubt that there are many people driving the whole length of the Turnpike on their own dime.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.