News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

MassPike AET discussion

Started by SidS1045, June 13, 2016, 11:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidS1045

According to the TollRoadsNews blog, the "go live" date for AET on the MassPike has been postponed from October 2016 to "the end of the year."

MassDOT also acknowledged that they did not effectively communicate to the public the fact that Tobin Bridge tolls will soon be collected in both directions, at half the existing rate for inbound traffic only.  ISTR a similar plan for the Sumner/Callahan and Ted Williams tunnels exists as well.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Pete from Boston

Quote from: SidS1045 on June 13, 2016, 11:42:47 AM
According to the TollRoadsNews blog, the "go live" date for AET on the MassPike has been postponed from October 2016 to "the end of the year."

MassDOT also acknowledged that they did not effectively communicate to the public the fact that Tobin Bridge tolls will soon be collected in both directions, at half the existing rate for inbound traffic only.  ISTR a similar plan for the Sumner/Callahan and Ted Williams tunnels exists as well.

I heard mention of that a couple of years ago, and then nothing until very recently. So I would agree with MassDOT on that one.

AMLNet49

Another MassDOT initiative, another postponement. The theme of 2016 it appears. Three major initiatives this year (travel time signs, mileage based exit numbers, and AET tolling), only travel time signs actually are happening this year it appears.

tckma

Pete from Boston

Quote from: AMLNet49 on June 13, 2016, 12:18:05 PM
Another MassDOT initiative, another postponement. The theme of 2016 it appears. Three major initiatives this year (travel time signs, mileage based exit numbers, and AET tolling), only travel time signs actually are happening this year it appears.

Is two months really that big a deal?  It's the second implementation of this technology in the state, and the first on a large scale.  I would much prefer that they take two more months and get it right than half-ass their way to meeting an arbitrary deadline.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 13, 2016, 03:25:41 PM

Is two months really that big a deal?  It's the second implementation of this technology in the state, and the first on a large scale.  I would much prefer that they take two more months and get it right than half-ass their way to meeting an arbitrary deadline.

Third (flashing yellow arrows).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

jeffandnicole

The only big deal I see is that none of this is first-in-the-country ideas.  Sounds like too-aggressive scheduling more than anything.

cl94

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 13, 2016, 03:49:48 PM

The only big deal I see is that none of this is first-in-the-country ideas.  Sounds like too-aggressive scheduling more than anything.

I agree. Granted, I'd rather they get it right than have issues once it goes live.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 1 on June 13, 2016, 03:29:35 PM

Flashing yellow arrows involve all-electronic tolling?

spooky

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 13, 2016, 11:21:05 PM

I was puzzled by that too.

hotdogPi

Quote from: spooky on June 14, 2016, 08:23:00 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 13, 2016, 11:21:05 PM

I was puzzled by that too.

I missed the word "this", and thought it was referring to any road-related technology.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

bob7374

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 13, 2016, 03:49:48 PM

And implementation may be later than the end of the year, based on comments the MassDOT secretary made Sunday (see link under this post: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=16734.msg2151333#msg2151333),

indicating winter weather may postpone the implementation until the spring.

bob7374

Related to the installation of AET is the demolition and re-working of the Mass Pike interchanges. As part of an upcoming public hearing to discuss the plans to change the I-95/128 interchanges 14 and 15, MassDOT posted a handout they will distribute at the meeting on 6/22. Here's the likely design for the re-worked interchange:

It shows the creation of two separate ramps westbound for I-95 and MA 30, as indicated in the I-90 sign replacement project plans (Ramp K) I posted a few months ago.

The handout is available at:
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/8/docs/hearings/ho_weston062216.pdf

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on June 16, 2016, 11:09:45 AMHere's the likely design for the re-worked interchange:

It shows the creation of two separate ramps westbound for I-95 and MA 30, as indicated in the I-90 sign replacement project plans (Ramp K) I posted a few months ago.
I'm hoping that the depicted 4-through lanes on the mainline/through I-90 aren't accurate; such should be 6 lanes.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

More news regarding AET. This MassDOT blog entry indicates all turnpike gantries are up, the only ones remaining to construct are those at the Boston side of the harbor tunnels for future 2-way tolling. http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/all-electronic-tolling-installation-continues/

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 16, 2016, 12:47:16 PMI'm hoping that the depicted 4-through lanes on the mainline/through I-90 aren't accurate; such should be 6 lanes.
Traffic volumes? That would decide which way it should be.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on June 16, 2016, 11:50:23 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on June 16, 2016, 12:47:16 PMI'm hoping that the depicted 4-through lanes on the mainline/through I-90 aren't accurate; such should be 6 lanes.

MassDOT's TDM system is showing AADTs upwards of 60K and that was back in 2010. I don't need to see PHVs to know that 6 lanes should be provided.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Beeper1

Thank god they are going to eliminate that horrible tight weaving on the ramps heading towards 95/128.

PHLBOS

Quote from: cl94 on June 16, 2016, 11:57:06 PM

MassDOT's TDM system is showing AADTs upwards of 60K and that was back in 2010. I don't need to see PHVs to know that 6 lanes should be provided.
Not to mention the fact that presently, I-90 on both ends of the existing mainline toll plaza is at least 6 lanes wide (excluding the toll plaza bulge).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SteveG1988

I agree. Taking time to do it right would make sense in the long run. That way they don't have a half-assed system that has toll collection errors.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

kefkafloyd

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 17, 2016, 08:13:11 AM
Quote from: cl94 on June 16, 2016, 11:57:06 PM

Not to mention the fact that presently, I-90 on both ends of the existing mainline toll plaza is at least 6 lanes wide (excluding the toll plaza bulge).

The way they've striped it is that the third lane comes in as the ramp from 95 north/south. It's at the edge of the image, but it is there as the third lane. If you had it as three lanes of through traffic, you'd have to do a merge instead since the eastbound carriageway doesn't get a fourth lane for miles, and there isn't room to widen the mainline there over the bridge that carries the turnpike over 95 and the Charles. There is no room to add a merge without reconstructing the bridge to add more width.

For I-90 westbound, the third lane turns into an Exit Only lane (look at the striping) to head for 95 after the Forest Drive off-ramp. This leaves two lanes for the mainline, and since there will be two lanes coming from I-95 from the former westboudn toll barrier, those two lanes will need to merge into the mainline's two lanes and eventually go down to three lanes for the westbound carriageway.

The TL:DR is that this lane configuration is the best they can do given the ramp and bridge geometry. Keep in mind that a lot of that AADT is heading for 95 North and South, not just through traffic on the turnpike as well, and this design balances the needs of that traffic along with that of mainline through traffic.

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

Quote from: roadman on June 23, 2016, 09:53:27 AM
Gantry installation at harbor tunnels to begin:  http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/new-tunnels-gantry-infrastructure-to-be-installed/
Note that the blog piece says, if the AET testing goes as expected, the electronic tolling will begin in October, back to where MassDOT said it would start when first announced. Is this correct, or did the writer not get the message from last week that it would be pushed back to the end of the year?

SidS1045

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 17, 2016, 08:13:11 AMNot to mention the fact that presently, I-90 on both ends of the existing mainline toll plaza is at least 6 lanes wide (excluding the toll plaza bulge).

About a quarter-mile west of the toll plaza on the westbound side there is a lane drop (three lanes -> two lanes) a few hundred feet before the two lanes coming from I-95 join the two on the Pike.  I'd have to guess that lane drop will be converted to the ramp to I-95 under the plan posted by bob7374.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

bob7374

Quote from: bob7374 on June 23, 2016, 10:50:27 AM
Quote from: roadman on June 23, 2016, 09:53:27 AM
Gantry installation at harbor tunnels to begin:  http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/new-tunnels-gantry-infrastructure-to-be-installed/
Note that the blog piece says, if the AET testing goes as expected, the electronic tolling will begin in October, back to where MassDOT said it would start when first announced. Is this correct, or did the writer not get the message from last week that it would be pushed back to the end of the year?
In response to the question I posted about what date is right on the MassDOT FB page, the October date is correct. Apparently the Secretary and Toll Road News got some wrong information (or it was right last week but wrong now).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.