News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 95 signing work

Started by roadman, March 06, 2012, 07:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mass_citizen

Quote from: roadman on July 25, 2016, 09:17:29 AM
Quote from: upstatenyroads on July 17, 2016, 09:14:49 PM
Are these signs all the same age and/or part of the same contract? I'm trying to figure out why the design of the signs on 128 (heh) is different that the design of the sign on MA 2.
As I noted above, the signs on MA 2 were originally fabricated and installed under the Lincoln to Arlington MA 2 sign replacement project completed in 2012, as were reset onto new supports as part of the bridge replacement project.  The new signs for Route 2 on I-95 (MA 128) were fabricated and installed under the MA 2 over I-95 bridge replacement project, which was a design-build project.  Typically, once the conceptual plans are approved, review of plans and submissions for design-build projects is normally handled directly by the project team and the designer of record, instead of through the various MassDOT sections such as Traffic and Highway Design.  This would explain the use of inconsistent destinations, the smaller than standard letter sizes, and the generally inconsistent workmanship (i.e. exit tab borders) on the new signs on the I-95 mainline.

another reason why "privatization" is a joke. no standard bearer.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on July 17, 2016, 12:48:44 AMSecond, heading north, with the addition of Acton:
Actually, the legend is a match-in-kind to the older signs.

Quote from: bob7374 on July 17, 2016, 12:48:44 AM
New overhead gantries have now gone up on the MA 2 bridge, don't know if the signs are new or not, but they have the same control cities as the old one. Here for I-95 North on MA 2 East:

The southbound control city is Attleboro.
Those BGS' were fabricated (& installed on previous gantries) when the replacement signs along I-95 and/or MA 2 (beyond the interchange) were erected (the exit tab style matches those along I-95).  The slightly older BGS' were simply transferred onto the new gantries.

Quote from: SignBridge on July 17, 2016, 08:30:40 PM
How do they come up with Peabody as a control city on I-95? Again, the concept of signing on the Interstate system is supposed to be for drivers unfamiliar with the local area. Portsmouth, NH would be the logical choice after Boston, wouldn't it? How many out-of-town drivers know where a small city like Peabody is?
Given the history of this stretch of road (the 128 name lives on) and the heavily populated region (as someone else mentioned, Peabody actually has a larger population then Portsmouth); the use of Peabody is somewhat justified.  Several posts back, I mentioned how the listing of just Portsmouth, NH on a northbound I-95 entrance ramp sign at US 20 caused my mother (who's in her upper 70s) to miss the ramp.  Of course, she's one of those that still calls the road 128, despite knowing that I-95 runs along it for most of the way; and wasn't looking for any supplemental ground-mounted 128 signs.  Had the BGS at US 20 listed either Peabody or Peabody along with Portsmouth, NH; she probably wouldn't have missed the ramp (she was heading towards Peabody at the time).

Quote from: shadyjay on July 17, 2016, 08:55:44 PM
The Peabody dates back to the 128 days.  Originally, I believe the control cities on this portion of I-95 were Peabody and Dedham.  Some older ones, pre-I-95 have said Gloucester (an old one from Route 9 said Dedham/Gloucester".  During the 1990s, dual control cities NB showed Peabody/NH-Maine (later changed to Portsmouth) and SB showed Dedham/Providence. 
Incorrect, especially at this location.  Signage along MA 2 showing Peabody for a northbound I-95/MA 128 listing dates back to 1982.  The previous BGS' were wooden (late 50s/early 60s vintage) with all-caps button-copy lettering that read TO RTE. 1 NORTH SHORE w/MA 128 shields; supplemental I-95 shields were erected above the main panels.

Ramp signage for southbound I-95/MA 128 at MA 2 originally read TO RTE. 9 SOUTH SHORE.  Such changed to Braintree (w/only I-95 shields on the main BGS panels) in 1982 and then changed to the current Attleboro circa 1994.

IIRC, the only interchanges that listed Peabody for a northbound 128 destination pre-I-95 on steel BGS' were ones from US 3 South/MA 3A North to I-93 that were erected during the early 70s.  The original 60s-era BGS' along I-93 were probably the first ones to use Peabody for a northbound then-just 128 destination.

Quote from: MikeCL on July 23, 2016, 05:26:12 PM
I saw this at this rest stop in Middleton, CT why not just replace the whole sign?
Simple answer: such was cheaper to do; especially since the rest of the sign is still readable & in good shape (to the delight of button-copy enthusiasts here  :) ), faded background notwithstanding.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

southshore720

Quote from: Alps on July 24, 2016, 08:38:22 PM
Quote from: MikeCL on July 23, 2016, 05:28:23 PM

That sign is more greenout than legend at this point.
They are really getting their money's worth out of that ancient diagrammatic!  Somewhere in the background, I hear "Let It Go!" from Frozen.

KEVIN_224

Indeed! I remember when the "34" square was on the left side of the big arrow! :)

MikeCL

Lol I think they have too many orange signs up now

iPhone

shadyjay

Here's the original sign, courtesy Alps Roads....just to show how green[out] we've become...

MikeCL

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 26, 2016, 09:41:21 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on July 17, 2016, 12:48:44 AMSecond, heading north, with the addition of Acton:
Actually, the legend is a match-in-kind to the older signs.

New overhead gantries have now gone up on the MA 2 bridge, don't know if the signs are new or not, but they have the same control cities as the old one. Here for I-95 North on MA 2 East:

The southbound control city is Attleboro.
Those BGS' were fabricated (& installed on previous gantries) when the replacement signs along I-95 and/or MA 2 (beyond the interchange) were erected (the exit tab style matches those along I-95).  The slightly older BGS' were simply transferred onto the new gantries.

Quote from: SignBridge on July 17, 2016, 08:30:40 PM
How do they come up with Peabody as a control city on I-95? Again, the concept of signing on the Interstate system is supposed to be for drivers unfamiliar with the local area. Portsmouth, NH would be the logical choice after Boston, wouldn't it? How many out-of-town drivers know where a small city like Peabody is?
Given the history of this stretch of road (the 128 name lives on) and the heavily populated region (as someone else mentioned, Peabody actually has a larger population then Portsmouth); the use of Peabody is somewhat justified.  Several posts back, I mentioned how the listing of just Portsmouth, NH on a northbound I-95 entrance ramp sign at US 20 caused my mother (who's in her upper 70s) to miss the ramp.  Of course, she's one of those that still calls the road 128, despite knowing that I-95 runs along it for most of the way; and wasn't looking for any supplemental ground-mounted 128 signs.  Had the BGS at US 20 listed either Peabody or Peabody along with Portsmouth, NH; she probably wouldn't have missed the ramp (she was heading towards Peabody at the time).

Quote from: shadyjay on July 17, 2016, 08:55:44 PM
The Peabody dates back to the 128 days.  Originally, I believe the control cities on this portion of I-95 were Peabody and Dedham.  Some older ones, pre-I-95 have said Gloucester (an old one from Route 9 said Dedham/Gloucester".  During the 1990s, dual control cities NB showed Peabody/NH-Maine (later changed to Portsmouth) and SB showed Dedham/Providence. 
Incorrect, especially at this location.  Signage along MA 2 showing Peabody for a northbound I-95/MA 128 listing dates back to 1982.  The previous BGS' were wooden (late 50s/early 60s vintage) with all-caps button-copy lettering that read TO RTE. 1 NORTH SHORE w/MA 128 shields; supplemental I-95 shields were erected above the main panels.

Ramp signage for southbound I-95/MA 128 at MA 2 originally read TO RTE. 9 SOUTH SHORE.  Such changed to Braintree (w/only I-95 shields on the main BGS panels) in 1982 and then changed to the current Attleboro circa 1994.

IIRC, the only interchanges that listed Peabody for a northbound 128 destination pre-I-95 on steel BGS' were ones from US 3 South/MA 3A North to I-93 that were erected during the early 70s.  The original 60s-era BGS' along I-93 were probably the first ones to use Peabody for a northbound then-just 128 destination.

Quote from: MikeCL on July 23, 2016, 05:26:12 PM
I saw this at this rest stop in Middleton, CT why not just replace the whole sign?
Simple answer: such was cheaper to do; especially since the rest of the sign is still readable & in good shape (to the delight of button-copy enthusiasts here  :) ), faded background notwithstanding.
The whole 91 north is full of button copy in CT so far once you get past Hartford

iPhone

PurdueBill

Quote from: shadyjay on August 01, 2016, 10:57:33 PM

Here's the original sign, courtesy Alps Roads....just to show how green[out] we've become...

If only they would have reversed the button copy I-shields.  And just moved the CT 34 shield in inverse colors.  Sign would look even better.

bob7374

As discussed in the Massachusetts thread, MassDOT opened a new exit on I-95 North in Needham to Kendrick Street as part of the Add-A-Lane project. The new exit number is 19. As you can see from the photo below, and based on information from the MassDOT project site, the original number was to be 19A, but the A was removed at the last minute leading to spaces on the overhead exit tab and gore sign (seen in the distance):

I have posted more new exit sign and construction photos from the area in the Add-A-Lane section of my I-95 in Mass. photo gallery:
http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/i95photos.html#addalane

shadyjay

Quote from: PurdueBill on August 05, 2016, 09:28:51 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on August 01, 2016, 10:57:33 PM

And the replacement is up:

IMG_2060 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

MikeCL

Wow I never thought it would get worse

iPhone

SignBridge

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on August 22, 2016, 01:13:45 PM
As discussed in the Massachusetts thread, MassDOT opened a new exit on I-95 North in Needham to Kendrick Street as part of the Add-A-Lane project. The new exit number is 19. As you can see from the photo below, and based on information from the MassDOT project site, the original number was to be 19A, but the A was removed at the last minute leading to spaces on the overhead exit tab and gore sign (seen in the distance):

I have posted more new exit sign and construction photos from the area in the Add-A-Lane section of my I-95 in Mass. photo gallery:
In another thread, it was mentioned that this exit will become 19A and the current 19A-B (for Highland Ave.) will indeed become 19B-C once the southbound exit ramp for Kendrick St. (via a collector-distributor road) is completed.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 06, 2016, 11:56:45 AM

In another thread, it was mentioned that this exit will become 19A and the current 19A-B (for Highland Ave.) will indeed become 19B-C once the southbound exit ramp for Kendrick St. (via a collector-distributor road) is completed.
Correct.  Also, when the new northbound C/D road for the Highland Avenue exits is opened, an advance sign will be placed on this northbound gantry for "Exits 19B-C Highland Avenue Newton Highlands Needham."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman on September 06, 2016, 12:52:02 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on September 06, 2016, 11:56:45 AM

Correct.  Also, when the new northbound C/D road for the Highland Avenue exits is opened, an advance sign will be placed on this northbound gantry for "Exits 19B-C Highland Avenue Newton Highlands Needham."

Then why not just sign it 19A now?  It's one thing if there was never any plans to put additional exits under the 19 umbrella, but if it's just a temporary thing, it only invites confusion to constantly change exit numbers.

mariethefoxy

Have they started work on the South of Canton segment of I-95. Last time I was there in 2015 it was pretty much one of the last areas of older "small tab" signs in Massachusetts. I-495 and US 3 seem to be one of the only other highways left with a large quantity of the "small exit tab" signs left.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 06, 2016, 01:14:13 PM
Then why not just sign it 19A now?  It's one thing if there was never any plans to put additional exits under the 19 umbrella, but if it's just a temporary thing, it only invites confusion to constantly change exit numbers.

19A already exists.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

roadman

As has been discussed previously, Highland Ave is currently Exits 19A-B.  Until the final roadway configuration (and the full signing accompanying that configuration) is in place, having Kendrick Street as Exit 19 and keeping Highland Avenue as Exits 19A and 19B is, IMO, actually less confusing than changing the exit numbers before changing the roadway configuration.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Quote from: mariethefoxy on September 06, 2016, 01:22:37 PM
Have they started work on the South of Canton segment of I-95. Last time I was there in 2015 it was pretty much one of the last areas of older "small tab" signs in Massachusetts. I-495 and US 3 seem to be one of the only other highways left with a large quantity of the "small exit tab" signs left.
Sign replacement on I-95 between Neponset Street in Norwood and the MA/RI border in Attleboro is presently scheduled to be advertised for bids in late 2018.  Sign replacement between Neponset Street and the I-95/I-93 interchange in Canton is to be done as part of the larger Canton interchange improvements:

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/HighlightedProjects/cantoninterchange.aspx

When the new flyover from I-95 north to I-95/MA 128 north is built, the current '270 degree' diagrammatic signs, as well as the large sharp curve/truck rollover warning signs, will go away.

Beeper1

Quote from: roadman on September 06, 2016, 01:28:32 PM

As has been discussed previously, Highland Ave is currently Exits 19A-B.  Until the final roadway configuration (and the full signing accompanying that configuration) is in place, having Kendrick Street as Exit 19 and keeping Highland Avenue as Exits 19A and 19B is, IMO, actually less confusing than changing the exit numbers before changing the roadway configuration.

And of course they will be changing to mile-based numbering soon.  ...right?

bob7374

Quote from: Beeper1 on September 06, 2016, 04:50:16 PM
Quote from: roadman on September 06, 2016, 01:28:32 PM

And of course they will be changing to mile-based numbering soon.  ...right?
Will the SB exits for Highland Ave be changed as well? There will still be only 2 ramps heading south, and it might be confusing to some if there is 19C, 19B but no 19A (or if milepost numbers are used, 35C, 35B, but no 35A, though the Kendrick St. exit is close enough that it could be signed as 34, solving the problem by letting Highland Ave. be signed 35A and B both ways).

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on September 06, 2016, 06:09:17 PM
Will the SB exits for Highland Ave be changed as well? There will still be only 2 ramps heading south, and it might be confusing to some if there is 19C, 19B but no 19A (or if milepost numbers are used, 35C, 35B, but no 35A, though the Kendrick St. exit is close enough that it could be signed as 34, solving the problem by letting Highland Ave. be signed 35A and B both ways).

All three southbound exits (Highland Ave west, Highland Ave east, and Kendrick Street) will be served from a single C/D road off of I-95 south.  In the final configuration, the ramps will be signed as Exits 19C-B-A.

PHLBOS

Here's the new signage for MA 2. First heading south on I-95:

Where's Boston?

Second, heading north, with the addition of Acton:
Update: both of those BGS' have since been replaced with ones listing just one control city (Fitchburg for 2 West, Boston for 2 East) that match the surrounding signs. 

Either way, and I mentioned such earlier, I don't think it's a good idea to list Boston as an eastbound control city at this location.  While MA 2 itself goes into and ends in Boston; the freeway portion ends about 7 miles from this interchange at the northern end Cambridge, adjacent to the Alewife (MBTA Red Line) Station.  Such can easily give someone unfamiliar with the area the false impression that MA 2 is a continuous freeway into Boston.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

shadyjay

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 29, 2016, 08:37:34 AM
Either way, and I mentioned such earlier, I don't think it's a good idea to list Boston as an eastbound control city at this location.  While MA 2 itself goes into and ends in Boston; the freeway portion ends about 7 miles from this interchange at the northern end Cambridge, adjacent to the Alewife (MBTA Red Line) Station.  Such can easily give someone unfamiliar with the area the false impression that MA 2 is a continuous freeway into Boston.

It should also be noted that Boston is used as a control city for MA 2 East at I-91 way out in Greenfield.  I've never travelled MA 2 between I-91 and Fitchburg, but the maps show it as a combination of surface road in spots and "super 2" in others.  Maybe it makes more sense to sign it as Boston that far west and to sign it something more local from 128, especially since just about every exit off 128 will take you to Boston, as long as you head in the right direction off the exit. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.