News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 9, person says it was an interstate highway

Started by ilvny, June 27, 2013, 07:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilvny

Someone I know claims that US 9 in New Jersey was once Interstate 9.  I'm not sure that's he's right.  I researched Route 9 online and did not find anything that indicated it was an Interstate.  Since most of it is only two lanes and I couldn't find any evidence that it was an interstate, I believe that he is incorrect.  There is one curious thing. 

This shield on this sign looks like it was meant for an interstate rather than a US highway.  I believe the wrong shield was used, but I don't know for sure.

Was US 9 an interstate or a proposed interstate or was it always US 9?  I believe it was always US 9.

agentsteel53

that's just a sign goof that should not be read into.

US-9 has always been US-9.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ilvny

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 27, 2013, 07:43:09 PM

I figured it was a goof.  In Philadelphia, the Cottman Avenue signs with the Route 73 shield have a US shield instead of the PA shield.

NE2

US 9 was once I-99, but Bud Shuster got the number removed.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

dgolub

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 27, 2013, 07:43:09 PM

Right.  Not to mention that most of it isn't remotely close to meeting interstate standards.

jeffandnicole

I-9 would be located around California, not NJ.

The closest US 9 gets to being an interstate highway is when it's co-signed with I-95 crossing the GWB.

The specific purpose of the GSP was to bypass US 9, which for nearly it's entire length goes thru business/commercial districts and communities.  On occasion, US 9 is co-signed with the GSP.  In the North part of the state, US 9 is co-signed with US 1.  But none of these areas are, or have ever been, an interstate highway.

roadman65

Welcome to the world of roads.  You will find many places where the wrong shields are used such as state for US, US for state, even US for county I have discovered.  When conversing with non road geeks, you will here many odd things as well.  That is all the fun in this community.  So sit back and just enjoy the ride.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jwolfer

Quote from: ilvny on June 27, 2013, 07:37:04 PM
Someone I know claims that US 9 in New Jersey was once Interstate 9.  I'm not sure that's he's right.  I researched Route 9 online and did not find anything that indicated it was an Interstate.  Since most of it is only two lanes and I couldn't find any evidence that it was an interstate, I believe that he is incorrect.  There is one curious thing. 

This shield on this sign looks like it was meant for an interstate rather than a US highway.  I believe the wrong shield was used, but I don't know for sure.

Was US 9 an interstate or a proposed interstate or was it always US 9?  I believe it was always US 9.

It could be said the US 9 is and interstate highway.  But not an Interstate highway

Henry

Quote from: jwolfer on June 28, 2013, 10:31:23 AM

It could be said the US 9 is and interstate highway.  But not an Interstate highway
Agreed! And there's no need to remake it into such, with the Garden State Parkway parallelling it at said location.

BTW, I-9 has been tossed around as a potential update to the CA 99 corridor on the other side of the country, though some would prefer that it become I-7 instead.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jwolfer

Quote from: Henry on June 28, 2013, 10:45:30 AM

Agreed! And there's no need to remake it into such, with the Garden State Parkway parallelling it at said location.

BTW, I-9 has been tossed around as a potential update to the CA 99 corridor on the other side of the country, though some would prefer that it become I-7 instead.

US 9 could stand some widening in Monmouth and Ocean counties, especailly in Lakewood and Toms River.  If it were in Florida it would be 6 lanes through Middlesex, Monmouth and to the GSP in Toms River.  I think it could use at least 4 lanes from South Toms River to Route 72 in Manahawkin, with some 6 lanes around South Toms River and Beachwood...  But this would be in fictional highways, because its never happening with NJDOT saying that walking should be encourged in lieu of widening in Lakewood and Toms River not the mention the Pinelands

vdeane

I did not know that US 9 entered Alanland.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SteveG1988

Quote from: vdeane on June 28, 2013, 10:27:34 PM
I did not know that US 9 entered Alanland.

US9 was annexed in the great war of 2074
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Pete from Boston

If you've lived in New Jersey, you'd know that what defines it is being between other places.  In keeping with that theme, it has a whole system of in-between routes that straddle caregories, like Interstate US 9.  NJ Route 27, for example, is not a NJ state route at all but rather a joint part of the New York and Pennsylvania systems.  Bergen County 503 is both an eight-lane tolled facility and bank drive-thru lane. 

Alps

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 03, 2013, 09:16:19 AM
If you've lived in New Jersey, you'd know that what defines it is being between other places.  In keeping with that theme, it has a whole system of in-between routes that straddle caregories, like Interstate US 9.  NJ Route 27, for example, is not a NJ state route at all but rather a joint part of the New York and Pennsylvania systems.  Bergen County 503 is both an eight-lane tolled facility and bank drive-thru lane. 
US NJ 122
US NJ 173
NJ US 1, 9, 9W, 22, 30, 40, 46, 202, 206 - I've found all but 322
PA NJ 183
NJ I-80

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Steve on July 03, 2013, 08:26:53 PM
US NJ 122
US NJ 173
PA NJ 183
NJ I-80

And clearly, you're familiar with MA NJ 2:

http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ma/ma_2/e.html

Alps

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 03, 2013, 09:05:37 PM
US NJ 122
US NJ 173
PA NJ 183
NJ I-80

No, that's NJ MA 2, different state with its own issues.

bugo

jeffandnicole

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Steve on July 03, 2013, 10:01:25 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 03, 2013, 09:05:37 PM
US NJ 122
US NJ 173
PA NJ 183
NJ I-80

No, that's NJ MA 2, different state with its own issues.

I hardly think MA US 202 or MA US 20 count as "issues."  They're lifestyle choices.

vdeane

So do we classify a route as how it was classified at creation or how it self-identifies?  And when the routes transition, do they need a therapist?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on July 04, 2013, 08:43:08 AM
And when the routes transition, do they need a therapist?

Yes, especially because the change was forced upon them.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Well, on a technicality, it is an interstate highway since it crosses state lines, but it's not an Interstate in the sense of I-90  ;)  :hmm:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman65

Quote from: US71 on July 04, 2013, 12:44:43 PM

Well, on a technicality, it is an interstate highway since it crosses state lines, but it's not an Interstate in the sense of I-90  ;)  :hmm:
Does it cross state lines or state line?  Remember the road physically does not cross the NJ- DE Border as it ends on both shores of the mighty Delaware Bay with a ferry service crossing the actual boundary.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 30, 2013, 08:54:18 AM
The routing crosses state lines.
Both Yes and No!  Depending how you look at it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.