Regional Boards > Northeast

Rhode Island News

<< < (68/71) > >>

spooky:

--- Quote from: shadyjay on December 02, 2022, 07:28:04 PM ---I drove RI 4 for the first time ever earlier this week.  The last time I was on this road was at some point I think in the 80s and it ended at the RI 2 exit. 
Anyway, this is the SB "exit now" for Exit 9...
--- End quote ---

It was around 1990. My street had a traffic light on RI 4 up until I was in high school in the late '80s, when they temporarily dead-ended our street to build a bridge to carry our road under RI 4 with no direct access.

--- Quote ---DSC03187 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

I did look in my "rear view" and saw an I-95 South shield on the NB signage, which I believe was the 1/4 mile advance (at Exit 9-A).  Come to think of it, yes, the sign I posted above should be NB, since it has isolated "RI 401 West", when the SB direction provides access to both RI 401 East and West. 

Maybe someone should drop a line to RIDOT about this.  I did for ConnDOT a few months ago and the error was corrected quite quickly. 

Regardless, having I-95 displayed here isn't a terrible idea.  With the RI 4 exit being a left hand exit (with multiple lanes) from I-95 South, I bet its seen its fair share of motorists who have gotten in the wrong lane and have to get back.  I-95 South in Salisbury, MA has similar "return to I-495" shields posted one exit later, giving motorists a second chance. 
--- End quote ---

You're absolutely correct that this sign should be NB, not SB. The NB signage has always identified the connection to 95SB because of the truck traffic coming from Quonset. The SB signage has always shown RI 401 to RI 2.

I learned that RIDOT is pursuing a federal grant to promote the "missing move" from RI 4 NB to I-95 SB. While RI 4 SB to I-95 NB is also a missing move, it is a much lower demand move.
http://www.dot.ri.gov/projects/MissingMove2022/

--- Quote ---And the design of that pull-through... really?  No control city?  Something like "Narragansett/Newport" would work (and should be posted on I-95 instead of "North Kingstown").  Or ideally, "Shore Points" would be nice too, but we all know the MUTCD doesn't like that.
--- End quote ---

Every highway in RI will lead you to "Shore Points". Narraganset/Newport is most logical.
There are terrible RIDOT-y signs in the median on I-95 letting you know that RI 4 leads to the beaches and the Block Island Ferry.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6741089,-71.4786509,3a,15y,179.16h,85.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stTvfXw48aO3ftGg5rWJgdg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Ted$8roadFan:
I remember the old RI-4 to RI-2 ending well when I was a kid. Going that way meant having to go through the infamous Wickford rotary, which was like the rotaries that used to bedevil the Boston area. By the time I was old enough to drive in 1989-90, Route 4 had been completed. 

I-95 in that area is actually designed for most of the traffic southbound to get off at Route 4, which is certainly true in the warm months. The state has actually gotten better with signage and pacing to tell drivers which way theyíre going, and to stay right on I-95 to continue south. Besides the nasty lane drop just after the exit on I-95 that needs to be fixedÖÖ.well, thatís another post.

The state actually uses North Kingstown as a control city, and used East Greenwich in the past. Narragansett is a control city on RI-4. Newport is a little tougher, as RI-4/US-1 donít really go near there, and the other towns in South County arenít really big enough to warrant control city status, certainly not on I-95.

As has already been mentioned, pretty much everyone heading south on I-95 knows that RI-4 is the best way to get to the beach and to Newport, warts and all (you canít forget it on many summer evenings). Many RIers even call it the road to the beach.

In fairness, I canít understand why RIDOT uses the signage it does, or uses such tiny fonts for some of their auxiliary signs. I suspect that a not insignificant number of South County residents are secretly happy that their towns arenít named more prominently on highway signs.

southshore720:

--- Quote from: spooky on December 06, 2022, 02:18:14 PM ---Every highway in RI will lead you to "Shore Points". Narraganset/Newport is most logical.
There are terrible RIDOT-y signs in the median on I-95 letting you know that RI 4 leads to the beaches and the Block Island Ferry.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6741089,-71.4786509,3a,15y,179.16h,85.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stTvfXw48aO3ftGg5rWJgdg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

--- End quote ---

RIDOT loves a horrible one-off LGS.  Small, cramped, with horrible font choices.  RIDOT's problem is using these LGS "beauties" as permanent BGS replacements instead of temporary placeholders.  They notably do this on I-295.  Even though those signs are about a decade old now, there are a few that have gone missing and have been given the LGS treatment.

spooky:

--- Quote from: southshore720 on December 07, 2022, 12:37:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: spooky on December 06, 2022, 02:18:14 PM ---Every highway in RI will lead you to "Shore Points". Narraganset/Newport is most logical.

--- End quote ---

RIDOT loves a horrible one-off LGS.  Small, cramped, with horrible font choices.  RIDOT's problem is using these LGS "beauties" as permanent BGS replacements instead of temporary placeholders.  They notably do this on I-295.  Even though those signs are about a decade old now, there are a few that have gone missing and have been given the LGS treatment.

--- End quote ---

I realized driving down to North Kingstown yesterday that there are 4 or 5 LGS supplementing the RI 4 BGS on I-95 SB. Some are better than others.

kramie13:

--- Quote from: shadyjay on December 02, 2022, 07:28:04 PM ---I drove RI 4 for the first time ever earlier this week.  The last time I was on this road was at some point I think in the 80s and it ended at the RI 2 exit. 
Anyway, this is the SB "exit now" for Exit 9...

DSC03187 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

--- End quote ---

I see RIDOT has kept the yellow "old exit" signs on RI 4, but looking at Google Street View, they've been plucked from both I-295 and I-195.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version