Regional Boards > Great Lakes and Ohio Valley

Ohio Turnpike News

(1/18) > >>

thenetwork:
The Ohio Turnpike revealed many of their 2016 construction spots, including replacing some of the original 60+ year-old concrete below the asphalt surfaces.

Story:  http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/12/ohio_turnpike_plans_143_millio.html#incart_river_home_pop

ysuindy:
Traveled the Ohio Turnpike and Indiana Toll Road from Youngstown to South Bend on the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

I never appreciated the three lane portion of the Ohio Turnpike more than I did that day.  A relatively stress free run from Youngstown to Toledo, although the people who just park themselves in the middle lane was frustrating. 

The only real issue was when we stopped at the Indian Meadows Service Plaza at MP 20 around 2:30.   Cars were lined up about 10 deep to get gas and there were very few parking spaces available.  We simply drove out of the car parking area to the truck entrance and left without stopping.  We got off at the free Exit 2 to eat and use the restroom.

With Indiana having closed the Fremont travel plaza permanently and closing the Howe travel plaza for renovation and Ohio having closed the Oak Opening plaza at MP 49 a few years back, Indian Meadow is the only service plaza open now between Blue Heron in Ohio and Elkhart in Indiana.   It is 56 miles from Blue Heron to Indian Meadow and 87 miles from Indian Meadow to Elkhart. 

Given the total lack of services at the exits in Ohio west of Toledo, i should have followed my instincts and exited at Ohio 108 and drove the few miles in to Wauseon to eat.

theline:
^^ We've traveled from South Bend to Cleveland several times in recent months and noticed the lack of service plazas. Travelers really have to plan their stops carefully. We have resorted to leaving the road a time or two in desperation.

Rothman:
Don't think of it as an inconvenience.  It is supporting local businesses...

...which is why you don't see many full plazas going up anymore.

dvferyance:

--- Quote from: Rothman on November 29, 2016, 02:34:53 PM ---Don't think of it as an inconvenience.  It is supporting local businesses...

...which is why you don't see many full plazas going up anymore.

--- End quote ---
The Turnpike west of Toledo is very remote. I don't see many if any services near the turnpike at the exits. So I agree these plazas are needed. Ohio needs to rebuild the ones at MM49 in the near future.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version