News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 78 in Memphis

Started by US71, October 11, 2016, 08:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom958

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 13, 2016, 05:35:26 PM
Here is my suggestion: Retract US 78 to Birmingham!

Or to Atlanta.

Seriously, it's entirely redundant in Mississippi. Why not remove it in both Mississippi and Tennessee?

Bobby5280

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4It also turns out the last 2 miles of US 78 to I-240 isn't on the project list.

I thought I had already said Getwell Road was the end barrier for the intersection improvement projects along US-78/Lamar Ave.

Quote from: sprjus4There will still be the occasional driveway and cross road, I believe.

Yeah the Winchester, Shelby and Holmes intersection projects with US-78 is only a partial step toward bringing that stretch of US-78 up to Interstate standards. Those are the most difficult intersections however.

Old Highway 78, Tuggle Road, Pleasant Run Road, Pleasant Hill Road, Concorde Road, Clearpool Circle Road X 2 are all intersections that must be hurdled or cut off (along with lots of driveways). It may be possible to deal with that using frontage roads and elevating the main lanes at least some of the way.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 26, 2021, 06:14:59 PM

I thought I had already said Getwell Road was the end barrier for the intersection improvement projects along US-78/Lamar Ave.

It looks like you have mentioned about how it's heavy in traffic. So it looks like I-22 will stay at I-269 for it's western terminus for at least a while.
Renewed roadgeek

Georgia

The Winchester Road widening/re-do, with all its residential and business impacts on that route, would be a non-starter for any politician wishing to remain in a job.

MikieTimT

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 26, 2021, 06:42:23 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 26, 2021, 06:14:59 PM

It looks like you have mentioned about how it's heavy in traffic. So it looks like I-22 will stay at I-269 for it's western terminus for at least a while.

Or forever.  Memphis has much bigger transportation issues (and issues in general) than to poke I-22 further northwest into Memphis.  This will be a situation like KC with US-71 and I-49.  The status quo will remain until there is a local push to change it.  As much as we'd like I-22 to run up the US-63 corridor and connect Memphis to KC, if it ever actually happened, also unlikely in our lifetimes, it would just be routed along I-240 and across one of the existing bridges, which is pretty much how it functionally is currently with I-55 and I-555 serving almost half of Arkansas' freeway mileage.  Missouri doesn't have much interest in freeways right now other than I-70 and I-57, and that's halfhearted at best.

sprjus4

^ And it's important to mention, while it doesn't directly affect the US-78 portion in question, the completion of I-269 between I-22 and I-55 in Mississippi allows through traffic to bypass the corridor entirely, on entirely 70 mph interstate highway.

MikieTimT

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 27, 2021, 12:47:39 PM
^ And it's important to mention, while it doesn't directly affect the US-78 portion in question, the completion of I-269 between I-22 and I-55 in Mississippi allows through traffic to bypass the corridor entirely, on entirely 70 mph interstate highway.

I don't know why I said I-240 before.  It was I-269 I was thinking of since that's the current end of I-22.  :pan:

Avalanchez71

I don't see an upgrade of US 78 happening.  Not in the political climate.  Shelby County just lost representation in the State House after the redistricting due to the immense population growth in Middle Tennessee.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 06, 2022, 10:14:05 AM
I don't see an upgrade of US 78 happening.  Not in the political climate.  Shelby County just lost representation in the State House after the redistricting due to the immense population growth in Middle Tennessee.

Memphis is the red-headed stepchild of Tennessee.  There's times I wonder if they'd just rather give it away to Arkansas or Mississippi.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: MikieTimT on January 06, 2022, 11:41:09 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 06, 2022, 10:14:05 AM

Memphis is the red-headed stepchild of Tennessee.  There's times I wonder if they'd just rather give it away to Arkansas or Mississippi.

If it includes all of Shelby County and the Tenn land now on the western side of the main channel of the MS. Arkansas should take Memphis in a heartbeat with Fed Ex and the Logistics still well within the county. It would much more representative in in Gov, so that will not happen.

The Red Headed step child controlled TN until just a few decades ago. If it ever did catch fire like other Southern metroa, it will again gain clout.

Bobby5280

I think the situation along US-78/Lamar Ave and the I-55 corridor crossing the Mississippi River is a serious safety issue. Just about everyone in this forum knows that stretch carries a high volume of heavy truck traffic. The Tennessee state government may treat Memphis like the red headed step child city of cities in the state. Nevertheless, Memphis sits at an important crossroads in the nation's highway network. If the state government is going to continue dragging its feet on improvements the federal government ought to intervene. And really the feds should be doing so anyway since new bridges and highways in the Memphis area are of national interest.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.