News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How Come the Bar Does Not Disbar lawyers who advertise?

Started by roadman65, July 11, 2017, 09:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: hbelkins on July 12, 2017, 02:25:23 PM
This misguided notion that "corporations aren't people" is just that -- misguided. No one ever said corporations are people. They are, however, groups of people. Why should groups of people not have the same rights to express themselves as individuals?

Because said corporations put a lot of restrictions on when and what their employees are allowed to say and advocate for. Can you blame them? Not at all, but most people certainly don't have the same right to express themselves in the workplace as they do outside of it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

I-39

I wish they'd disbar lawyers for advertising. I am getting sick and tired of seeing the Bart-Durham commercials in Nashville.

roadman65

Quote from: jwolfer on July 13, 2017, 04:17:53 PM
Morgan and Morgan is based in Orlando.  John Morgan was the main force behind Florida's medical Marijuana campaign.

Rumor is he is running for Governor of Fkorida or US Senator.

LGMS428

Rumor also has it that he visits Rachels Gentleman's Club in Orlando/Cassleberry frequently and is a heavy boozer as well.  I did google him and his license to practice law was once suspended for contempt in court as he argued with a judge when told to sustain his objection.  Then he lies about his firm being 30 years old, when in fact he just recently started his firm with his wife,and three sons.  Before that he was part of Morgan, Colling, and Gilbert who fired his ass and took on two new partners probably cause the guy is too much with his over advertising.

As far as being governor of Florida, being Rick Scott was also a private citizen who ran for governor and got the job and of course the recent Washington shocker of a private citizen also becoming POTUS he could very well be (and get) to be our next governor.  Also with Scott being pro tax cuts to the rich who are bringing developers galore to a state that is already have more than enough sprawl, and Morgan being a Democrat which is pro environment and high tax supporters he is a shoe in as many of us Floridians are tired of having to leave for work a minute earlier each year from the added traffic the developers brings to our already crowded roads.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

I-39

Quote from: jwolfer on July 13, 2017, 04:17:53 PM
Morgan and Morgan is based in Orlando.  John Morgan was the main force behind Florida's medical Marijuana campaign.

Rumor is he is running for Governor of Fkorida or US Senator.

LGMS428

They are in Nashville as well. Them and Bart Durham have the most annoying commercials.

The Nature Boy

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman65 on July 15, 2017, 08:37:05 AM

Rumor also has it that he visits Rachels Gentleman's Club in Orlando/Cassleberry frequently and is a heavy boozer as well.
[/quote]

Sounds like he has a lot in common with his Kentucky counterpart who works for him.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

It's been in the news here in Orlando he has been arrested numerous times for DUI's.    Hey if our former US President can be popular by not having a traditional marriage, so could this guy too and probably is getting more cases because of his partying and womanizing in strip clubs.

Sheryl Crowe

bing101

bing101

roadman65

One place that Morgan & Morgan won't advertise in Orlando is Magic 107.7 between Thanksgiving and Christmas as that station plays Christmas songs and I am guessing that he does not like that particular music and refuses to sponsor it. 

Lately I have not heard his ads on radio because I listen to a station that has no ads period, but now he has got a picture of his two dogs Emma and Molly on the back of some Orlando Lynx buses along with him smiling on the sides of the same bus, but at least I don't have to hear his annoying rants which he typically does in one of his commercials.

Sheryl Crowe

inkyatari

A couple years ago, I was involved with the libertarian party of Illinois, trying to help get our candidates on the ballot.  Anyway, I was talking to our attorney general candidate, and he spent some time with a personal injury attorney office, and he was saying that with his low position there, it was like working at a sweatshop. They had to file a certain number of lawsuits per day, or risk getting fired.  He was saying that they were pushed like you wouldn't believe.  I wish I remembered the rest of the conversation, because it was extremely eye opening.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

roadman65

It its done on a contingient basis yes, because that is how they make a living.  Yes, it puts pressure on the low people even though they want to make money too, however with the added pressure from above making sure you do so, I am sure, makes it more difficult.

Sheryl Crowe

The Nature Boy

Quote from: inkyatari on July 17, 2017, 09:11:41 AM
A couple years ago, I was involved with the libertarian party of Illinois, trying to help get our candidates on the ballot.  Anyway, I was talking to our attorney general candidate, and he spent some time with a personal injury attorney office, and he was saying that with his low position there, it was like working at a sweatshop. They had to file a certain number of lawsuits per day, or risk getting fired.  He was saying that they were pushed like you wouldn't believe.  I wish I remembered the rest of the conversation, because it was extremely eye opening.

I have a friend who was fired with no notice because he wasn't bringing in enough money for his firm. Being a lawyer is one profession that people assume is stable and high paying but it's surprisingly not that way for a lot of people.

SP Cook

This genius:

www.wkyt.com/content/news/WKYT-Interactive-Where-in-the-world-is-Eric-C-Conn-430925703.html

had billboards and local cable ads throughout eastern Kentucky and southern West Virginia, proclaiming himself "Mr. Social Security".    Like most in that junk science based area of the law, he had an in-house doctor who found everybody disabled.  He went a step further and bribed the judges.   Ripped off Social Security and KY and WV workers comp insurers for darn near a billion in lifetime benefits.    Until exposed by the Wall Street Journal.

Fantasticly, despite the fact that he had traveled outside the country over 150 times in 10 years, had dozens of bank accounts off shore and had bragged to his staff that he had "made a deal with Castro" the judge gave him bail.  Promptly headed north on I-75, probably to the Cincy airport.  Last seen on a survelence cam at a gas station in New Mexico, probably heading south.  If you can sneak in so easily, how hard is it to go in the other direction?

roadman65

Another reason why lawyers should not advertise is I think they are driving doctors cost up as they charge the patient for the higher malpractice insurance for all the lawsuits brought against the medical industry.  Thus making the insurance companies deny many claims to avoid payouts more than ever.  They put it in the people's minds to sue whenever possible and people who would normally not sue because of  Judeo-Christian values of forgiveness and acceptance that the world is unfair, are suing because of the $ promised. 

We have Dan Newlin in Orlando, a former detective now attorney, who has his ads using former clients testifying the amount of money they received because Dan won them the settlement.  Of course that will make sure that everyone injured in an accident will go over everything with a fine tooth comb and look for anything they could use to sue hearing actual amounts from other suing parties.

If we had no commercials influencing people to sue, the courts would we be less crowded and being paying less to go to the doctors and get more for our premiums and the need for universal healthcare would have been less of the issue it was when it a few years ago and now still.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman

My favorite lawyer ads have always been the ones that claim "If we don't win your case, you won't have to pay us."  Which roughly translates to "We'll do everything possible to win your case, even if our tactics may be considered legally or ethically questionable."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Rothman

Quote from: roadman on July 17, 2017, 11:33:43 AM
My favorite lawyer ads have always been the ones that claim "If we don't win your case, you won't have to pay us."  Which roughly translates to "We'll do everything possible to win your case, even if our tactics may be considered legally or ethically questionable."
Not really.  It just means that they receive a good chunk of the settlement or judgment.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

My guess is that if the Law Firm is huge enough the senior partner gets rich from his hired help winning the case.  So they will most likely get 33 % of your winnings with half going to the head and the other half going to the body who did the work.

Makes you wonder if that is how most of Congress got rich before they got elected taking cuts from their clients via junior partners and hired hands.

Sheryl Crowe

bing101

http://nypost.com/2017/06/28/cellino-barnes-have-been-at-war-for-over-a-year/

Celino and Barnes and the Dysfunction continues

http://nypost.com/2017/05/10/cellino-sues-barnes-to-dissolve-injury-attorney-firm/

This includes Celino suing barnes in one alleged lawsuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZq6t9jm0JQ

Im surprised I live in California and we are unaware of this lawsuit especially when they have ads in San Francisco  on TV.

kkt

Quote from: Rothman on July 17, 2017, 11:46:41 AM
Quote from: roadman on July 17, 2017, 11:33:43 AM
Not really.  It just means that they receive a good chunk of the settlement or judgment.

It means the plaintiff doesn't have to pay the lawyers upfront.  Without lawyers working on spec, the courts would be just for rich people.

Desert Man

California state bar ethics board made our attorneys advertise with less flash and more information on their jobs to the public. They can't have clients say "I made over a million or so" from winning their cases. Get to the point, lawyers...just be professional for a change.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: roadman65 on July 16, 2017, 07:30:34 AM
It's been in the news here in Orlando he has been arrested numerous times for DUI's.    Hey if our former US President can be popular by not having a traditional marriage, so could this guy too and probably is getting more cases because of his partying and womanizing in strip clubs.

It must just be me being stupid, but which President was this? I'm not mocking, I'm legitimately curious.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

spooky

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 10, 2017, 08:30:33 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 16, 2017, 07:30:34 AM

It must just be me being stupid, but which President was this? I'm not mocking, I'm legitimately curious.

I assume he's talking about Bill Clinton. Non sequiturs are kind of his thing. (Roadman65, not Bill Clinton)

roadman65

My real point is the fact that it does not matter what you have done over the years its your popularity.    Hey there have been some politicians with criminal records that got where they are today.    Values are no longer an issue when it comes to electing anyone and not saying that these kinds should not be in political office, but pointing out that we as a society don't rate personal traits for electing mayors, congressman, etc.  Without making it sound like I do prefer good values in a candidate, I generally do not as in many times I have elected someone who done something I think is morally wrong because regardless I thought he could do the job he was running for.

The president was Bill Clinton to answer your question and he is really only a few of them.  Clinton might be the only open marriage president to date, but there have been others who taken on mistresses over time as well and some were the greatest of the presidents too.  These you will have to look up.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Quote from: Desert Man on August 09, 2017, 11:54:53 PM
They can't have clients say "I made over a million or so" from winning their cases. Get to the point, lawyers...just be professional for a change.

They're always holding that big check over their body, which makes me think they've been horribly disfigured.  :crazy:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.