News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-15/CA-91 Express Lanes: A great idea, but where else would they be welcome?

Started by mrivera1, February 04, 2009, 12:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrivera1

The Express Lanes on busy freeways like I-15 through North San Diego County and CA-91 through Orange County have done quite a lot to relieve traffic in their respective areas.  However, where else do you all think they would be a perfect addition to the existing freeway system?  I think that many routes traveling through metro areas would benefit greatly from a separate FasTrak/carpool lane(s) that would allow thru traffic to flow through these areas.  Anyways, I'd appreciate to hear your responses.
Why did Caltrans kill the US highways?  If you're smart, you'll know where you're going.  Too bad we have too many stupid people, and yes, Miss Talking on Cell Phone While Cutting Across the Freeway to Make Her Exit at 85mph, I'm talking about you.

FLRoads

The Orlando area was slated to have express lanes running down the median of Interstate 4.  Dubbed Express 400 (for the hidden state route number Interstate 4 shares), the four-lane express lanes would have ran from the Florida 435 (Kirkman Road exit 75) to Florida 434 (exit 94), allowing motorists to bypass the usual congestion Interstate 4 produces daily.  It would have essentially been a road within a road because the Express 400 would have had its own interchanges (granted only a couple slated) at junctions separate from Interstate 4 as well as a few slip ramps to get back onto the mainline Interstate 4.  But thanks to a politician, the plans were discontinued.  There is however, a similar proposal in place to rebuild Interstate 4 in the same area to accommodate more traffic by adding extra lanes, which will include slip ramps.  Construction on this though is still several years away.

Alex

Express Toll Interstate 95 is currently being built between the merge with Interstate 895 in Baltimore and the Perry Hall area east of Maryland 43. Two two-lane carriageways are being added within an expanded median of the freeway.

FLRoads

One more area, also in Florida, that is in the development stages of adding express lanes is Interstate 75 between Fort Myers and Naples.  Currently Interstate 75 is six-laning about 25 miles of roadway from Florida 884 (Colonial Blvd exit 136) south to Collier County 846 (exit 111).  But according to analysis and LOC levels, this will not be enough.  Thus the need for adding the express lanes.  Click here for more details.

John

Northern California could definitely use them along freeways like 880 and 680 which are a mess every day.
They came, they went, they took my image...

DrZoidberg

I believe that Texas is using them on their reconstruction of I-10 in west Houston.
"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

Alex

Quote from: DrZoidberg on February 04, 2009, 10:16:46 AM
I believe that Texas is using them on their reconstruction of I-10 in west Houston.

They are, and they are signed with the TXMUTCD approved signage (bleh): http://www.interstate-guide.com/ishields/images/i-010_tx_04.jpg

exit322

Bryant5493

Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Gridlock

The I-10 Katy Freeway express lanes are complete, along with the freeway widening.  The traffic patterns are currently being evaluated before final setup/pricing of toll/HOT lanes is implemented.  Counting feeder roads, road is 18-22 lanes wide for 12 mile stretch between Hwy 6 and I-610.  Quite an upgrade from the old 6 lane + reversible HOV configuration.

http://www.houstonfreeways.com/i10_photo_report.html

Chris

Well, Houston is growing like crazy, adding 100,000 people per year in the city.

Gridlock

I always thought the free I-5 reversible express lanes in Seattle was a cool idea, but I'm not aware of a similar dedicated free reversible roadway setup anywhere else. 

I think an elevated 3 lane tolled reversible express lane was recently completed down the median of a highway in Tampa, FL.

Voyager

I think reversible lanes are a great idea. They've kept the 6 total lanes of the Golden Gate Bridge moving fast even during the worst commute hours, and they are a brilliant idea in themselves. Don't any other places in CA use those kinds of reversible lanes?
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

John

Yeah, there are other bridges out there with the same changeable lane config, but reversable lanes are pretty rare.
They came, they went, they took my image...

FreewayDan

Quote from: Gridlock on February 04, 2009, 02:41:16 PM
The I-10 Katy Freeway express lanes are complete, along with the freeway widening.  The traffic patterns are currently being evaluated before final setup/pricing of toll/HOT lanes is implemented.  Counting feeder roads, road is 18-22 lanes wide for 12 mile stretch between Hwy 6 and I-610.  Quite an upgrade from the old 6 lane + reversible HOV configuration.

http://www.houstonfreeways.com/i10_photo_report.html

US 290/Northwest Freeway (a.k.a. Ronald Reagan Memorial Highway) is planned to have express toll lanes parallel to Hempstead Road: http://my290.com/index.htm

SR 288/South Freeway (a.k.a. Nolan Ryan Expressway) also has plans to add express lanes in the wide median: http://houstonstrategies.blogspot.com/2007/02/big-plans-for-288-but-it-could-be.html
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

Voyager

I would love to see express lanes on I-80 between SF and the Sierra foothills.

njroadhorse

While on the subject, Jersey needs some express lanes on our highways.
However, that will probably never happen :pan:  :-D :eyebrow:
Why did they ever abandon the HOV lanes on 80?  :-/
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

TheStranger

Quote from: voyager on February 04, 2009, 07:37:23 PM
I think reversible lanes are a great idea. They've kept the 6 total lanes of the Golden Gate Bridge moving fast even during the worst commute hours, and they are a brilliant idea in themselves. Don't any other places in CA use those kinds of reversible lanes?

Route 75 along the Coronado Bridge?
Chris Sampang

Voyager

Voyager

roadfro

There's a proposal to do a similar express/tolling setup with I-15 in Las Vegas along the Strip resort corridor.  It is being explored as a public/private partnership, which would be a first for NDOT.

State law needs to change for this to happen, though.  Currently, toll roads are forbidden in Nevada.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

akotchi

The HOV lanes on I-80 and I-287 were both abandoned in the late 1990's, IIRC.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

njroadhorse

Quote from: akotchi on October 19, 2009, 05:57:37 PM
The HOV lanes on I-80 and I-287 were both abandoned in the late 1990's, IIRC.
Yup, cuz nobody used them.  :pan:
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Riverside Frwy

If Express lanes were put in on Interstate 405 from LAX, through the sepulveda Pass and ending at US 101 would be perfect.Do have any idea how much Los Angeles would make on having Interstate 405 tolled?They would clean up......

myosh_tino

Quote from: John on February 04, 2009, 10:05:04 AM
Northern California could definitely use them along freeways like 880 and 680 which are a mess every day.
An HOT (high occupancy toll) lane is under construction on southbound I-680 between CA-84 and CA-237 (basically the Sunol Grade section of I-680).  The HOT lane is actually a conversion of the existing HOV lane.  There are plans for a northbound HOT lane but there is no funding for it.

Also on the drawing board in Santa Clara County is the possible conversion of the HOV lanes on CA-85, CA-87 and U.S. 101 to HOT lanes.  I also believe the new HOV lanes on I-580 in Livermore is also supposed to become HOT lanes.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.