Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

Virginia

<< < (1331/1347) > >>

froggie:
^ Paywalled article.

It's funny you mention the stated purpose is "improving truck access to I-64".  The VDOT project page shows a different purpose...to create efficient local connectivity between Route 60 and Route 143...

sprjus4:
^ All those warehouses that the connector meets up with on US-60… in order to access I-64, they have to travel through Lee Hall on 25 mph streets.

The connector will allow trucks to use VA-143 and access I-64 much more direct.

plain:
To add, even though the ramp to I-64 WB is a direct ramp from VA 143 WB, trucks can still use the parking lot in front of NWSY Gate 3 to turn around to access it (if they desperately feel the need to do so). It might actually urge VDOT to build a loop from 143 EB to 64 WB.

The only other missing movement is from 64 WB, which is why it's signed at VA 238.

plain:
Is anyone else having trouble viewing VDOT'S Richmond District traffic cameras? All of the other districts (as well as the city of Richmond) cameras are working fine.

EDIT: Nevermind, there working again.

1995hoo:
We were on the Beltway last night headed to L'Auberge Chez François and, passing through Tysons, I noted a rather interesting ground-mounted BGS on the right passing Route 7 on the Inner Loop. VDOT recently relocated the Dulles exit from the mainline as part of roadwork related to the HO/T lanes extension project. The left lane now becomes exit-only and the exit is now just before the Jones Branch Road overpass. It’s still on the left and it joins the exit ramp from the HO/T lanes; the ramp is now two lanes, separated by a double white line you’re not supposed to cross (I was quite nervous someone would cross it anyway and indeed they did).

So the interesting sign in Tysons is a vertical BGS with a yellow banner on the bottom reading "LEFT LANE MUST EXIT." It’s the words "MUST EXIT" that I found interesting because I don’t ever recall seeing those on a BGS in Virginia before. I associate those words with Delaware because they used to have a lot of signs phrased that way. Under the circumstances, though, I think it’s very good wording because it’s a ground-mounted sign placed on the right-hand side of the road (due to a lack of space on the left), so "exit only" might be less clear.

No pictures, unfortunately. I was driving with my wife and my mom in the car and I doubt I would have gotten a good picture anyway due to our position versus where the sign was—we were in the express lanes (no toll with three people!) and the sign was four lanes over to the right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version