Would the design of the road your driveway connects to be a deal-breaker?

Started by interstatefan990, September 27, 2022, 10:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

I'd like to think it doesn't matter that much, but there are definitely roaes that I will see and think "man, I would never want to live on this".

Prime example. This is a very busy 8-lane arterial posted at 40mph (though average speed is often more in the 45-50mph range) with no shoulder. No way in hell do I want to be backing up into or out of that.

hbelkins

Quote from: interstatefan990 on September 28, 2022, 09:46:13 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 28, 2022, 08:31:03 PM
Yes, at least in Kentucky. We frequently get requests for these and we always turn them down since they are not approved traffic control devices. That's not to say that local governments (cities or counties) don't put them up, but as a practice, the state does not.

You ever take any down?

I'm unaware of any that we've ever removed. But then again, we probably wouldn't unless they were posing some problem such as being erected in a clear zone on state ROW. Most of the ones I've seen are hung on trees.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: interstatefan990 on September 27, 2022, 10:18:30 PM
Let's say you're looking to buy a house. You find a nice listing in a wooded area, everything looks good, checks your boxes, has what you need, etc. You're ready to buy it. But when you go to look at it, the end of the house's driveway is situated directly in the middle of a low-visibility, blind curve on a higher speed undivided road, with such poor sight lines, in fact, that you'd be making what you feel is a risky maneuver each time you turn left out of your driveway. Do you trust your driving abilities and buy the house? Or do you say it's simply too much hassle and risk for the years to come, and abandon this house you liked (but weren't married to) in favor of one with perhaps an easier exit?

My house in Connecticut has a long, sloping driveway that lets out onto a moderately busy, narrow road just around a blind curve.

We didn't appreciate the implications of this, both the consideration raised by the OP, and the winter implications (first time homebuyers, both of whom grew up in the south) when we bought the house.  However, considering that at the time this was the only place on the market with the features we were looking for and an acceptable price....

Rothman

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on October 01, 2022, 03:51:54 AM
Quote from: interstatefan990 on September 27, 2022, 10:18:30 PM
Let's say you're looking to buy a house. You find a nice listing in a wooded area, everything looks good, checks your boxes, has what you need, etc. You're ready to buy it. But when you go to look at it, the end of the house's driveway is situated directly in the middle of a low-visibility, blind curve on a higher speed undivided road, with such poor sight lines, in fact, that you'd be making what you feel is a risky maneuver each time you turn left out of your driveway. Do you trust your driving abilities and buy the house? Or do you say it's simply too much hassle and risk for the years to come, and abandon this house you liked (but weren't married to) in favor of one with perhaps an easier exit?

My house in Connecticut has a long, sloping driveway that lets out onto a moderately busy, narrow road just around a blind curve.

We didn't appreciate the implications of this, both the consideration raised by the OP, and the winter implications (first time homebuyers, both of whom grew up in the south) when we bought the house.  However, considering that at the time this was the only place on the market with the features we were looking for and an acceptable price....
...the subsequent car accidents and near misses were worth it!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

paulthemapguy

The height of profile would matter to me, if that makes sense.  Hopefully, my house would be on a quiet street, situated in a way that requires me to turn onto several steps upward in the size of roadway.  So ideally, I'd live on a quiet street, that connects to a collector, which connects to some higher-profile arterial, and so on. That puts a bunch of constraints on my street's design right there!
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

royo6022

Quote from: Bitmapped on September 30, 2022, 08:05:50 AM
Quote from: Rothman on September 27, 2022, 10:38:31 PM
I stayed at an AirBnB in WV that was on a one-and-a-half laner, if that.  Road had a lot of properties on it.  I wouldn't have bought a house on that road.

I live on a road that's about a lane and a half wide in West Virginia where cars have to pull off so the opposite direction can pass. I'm the first house up (about 150 feet) from the main road where my road ends, so it's not too bad from a traffic or snow standpoint. There are a lot more townhouses and homes further up the road and up a hill past me. I probably wouldn't have bought one of those because of the road.

My house is kind of similar. I live in a very small gated community out in the country and the entrances to the community are on county roads that are no wider than a lane and a half, and very hilly and winding. Some sections of the roads have lakes on either side of the road. But, considering the lack of traffic on the roads and having lived there for 20 years, I'm used to it. I kind of know how to react when another vehicle is approaching, especially when the other vehicle is larger. It's no easy task but there have never been any accidents because of it yet.
2d Interstates traveled: 4, 10, 15, 39, 40, 44, 57, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 80, 81, 88, 90, 94, 95

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.