Regional Boards > Mid-South

US 57 border to I-35: Interstate status not justified

<< < (15/15)

Bobby5280:
Is the blue line in that map actually, officially the preferred alternative? I'd be perfectly happy with that. The red line route isn't so bad either. The orange idea going up to Madisonville sucks. I-14 needs to go direct from College Station to Huntsville.

I've had the impression nothing substantial has been decided on an I-14 route alignment thru the Texas Triangle.

bwana39:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on October 22, 2022, 10:13:21 PM ---Is the blue line in that map actually, officially the preferred alternative? I'd be perfectly happy with that. The red line route isn't so bad either. The orange idea going up to Madisonville sucks. I-14 needs to go direct from College Station to Huntsville.

I've had the impression nothing substantial has been decided on an I-14 route alignment thru the Texas Triangle.

--- End quote ---

I have said this before. The I-14 designation was originally done as an incentive to keep Ft Hood off the BRACC lists. Since its naming, lot's of people have jumped on the bandwagon. We even had a completely nonbinding piece of legislation that defined a rough route from Midland to Ft. Stewart. That said, there are LOTS of non-interstate projects that FAR ahead of I-14 in Texas. I really doubt any of us(even the youngest) will ever live to see I-14 stretch from I-35 to I-69 much less to Georgia.  Why should you plan for something that virtually everyone realizes will NEVER be built. I honestly see it actually being far less likely than a complete I-69 in Arkansas & Louisiana.

MaxConcrete:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on October 22, 2022, 10:13:21 PM ---Is the blue line in that map actually, officially the preferred alternative? I'd be perfectly happy with that. The red line route isn't so bad either. The orange idea going up to Madisonville sucks. I-14 needs to go direct from College Station to Huntsville.

--- End quote ---

That map is a sample illustration of how the final project study recommendation will look. It is NOT the recommended alternative. You are correct: nothing has been decided, and I don't know if any effort is even in progress.

If the study has started, there have not been any meetings and the "universe of alternatives" has not been made public.

bwana39:

--- Quote from: MaxConcrete on October 24, 2022, 07:49:45 PM ---

--- End quote ---

That map is a sample illustration of how the final project study recommendation will look. It is NOT the recommended alternative. You are correct: nothing has been decided, and I don't know if any effort is even in progress.

If the study has started, there have not been any meetings and the "universe of alternatives" has not been made public.

--- End quote ---

Exactly, this is all the meanderings of groups like the Lincoln Highway Association in the 1920's.

geek11111:

--- Quote from: Scott5114 on October 02, 2022, 07:25:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: Henry on September 30, 2022, 12:57:51 PM ---I'm surprised that I-35 has only one child in the entire state, that being I-635 in Dallas. Now would be a perfect time to give it another spur route along the US 57 corridor. How about I-135?

--- End quote ---

There's five odd x35s available in TX, and you want to use the one that would duplicate a major 100-mile route accessible within a day's travel of TX? Why?

535, 735, or 935 would be preferable. Personally, I vote 735. It has both a 5 and a 7 in it, and there's no I-735 anywhere in the country.

--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 30, 2022, 02:17:44 PM ---Existing US 96 should have been designated US 57 when US 59 was rerouted at Tenaha in 1939. This road should have been given the US 96 designation (or it should have remained TX 57 or TX 76). As for designating US 57 as an Interstate corridor, I agree with the subject thread that it is likely wishful-thinking.

--- End quote ---

US-57 has that number because it connects to Mexico 57. It wasn't ever intended to fit in the grid.

--- End quote ---

And what's even more laughable is that just because 57 is odd, it's signed N-S although it's *clearly* E-W

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version