News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Aldi to buy Winn-Dixie and Harveys

Started by elsmere241, August 16, 2023, 03:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

I thought Kroger was the more upscale union brand. They have less overlap with Walmart than the lower-priced grocery stores do.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Hobart

Quote from: SP Cook on August 19, 2023, 03:04:59 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on August 19, 2023, 01:15:01 PM
Not sure if Ahold Delhaize ever had a presence in FL with Food Lion.

Didn't Ahold Delhaize own Sweetbay, which is what Southeastern Grocers bought and converted into Winn-Dixie about 10 years ago?

Kroger still needs to expand, even when the Albertson's deal closes, to be nationwide and thus able to take on Wal-Mart.  Florida seems to be the place for that.

Kroger needs to collapse where it is. Every time I've been to one, I've seen higher prices than Albertson's stores (more specifically Jewel-Osco), and inferior quality of produce. The only reason I shop there is because they already have a monopoly on the city of Milwaukee post-Roundy's acquisition.

I see more hope in Menards expanding to full service groceries than Kroger expanding to everything else in order to take on Wal-Mart. Hopefully other hardware stores follow suit. They know how to facilitate a shopping environment that well-priced and livable, unlike Wal-Mart or Kroger.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Rothman

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 18, 2023, 01:15:19 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on August 18, 2023, 12:37:28 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 18, 2023, 12:19:22 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on August 18, 2023, 12:10:54 PM
Quote from: Jim on August 18, 2023, 12:00:27 PM
You have to bring your own (or purchase) bags in every grocery store in NY.

I do about half of my shopping at Aldi.  I can get WalMart level prices without having to wreck my day by going into a WalMart.  And I'm in and out in minutes, park close, employees are far friendlier, etc.  The traditional grocery stores we have locally can't or don't try to compete with Aldi or WalMart on price.

Walmart Neighborhood Market slaughters Aldi. You get Walmart prices, Walmart service (which is not great, but beats the hell out of renting carts and having to bring your own bags like its Europe), and a selection that blows Aldi out of the water, but without the crowds and size of a Walmart Supercenter.

But it supports Walmart.

So? Even if I accept that Walmart is somehow evil, me shopping there or not will make zero difference in results.
And beyond that, I don't think Walmart is particularly bad or good. Most of the complaints about Walmart come down to Walmart being a symptom, rather than a root cause of whatever problem someone is taking issue with.

I don't 100% disagree with you, but, as a rule, I don't like big box stores and try not to shop at them. Target is slightly better than Walmart, but not drastically.
Bougie.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

I do about half of my shopping at Aldi.  I can get WalMart level prices without having to wreck my day by going into a WalMart.  And I'm in and out in minutes, park close, employees are far friendlier, etc.  The traditional grocery stores we have locally can't or don't try to compete with Aldi or WalMart on price.

Walmart Neighborhood Market slaughters Aldi. You get Walmart prices, Walmart service (which is not great, but beats the hell out of renting carts and having to bring your own bags like its Europe), and a selection that blows Aldi out of the water, but without the crowds and size of a Walmart Supercenter.

You don't rent carts at Aldi. Unless you're too lazy to put the cart up to get the quarter back.

I bring my own bags anyway because the kind stores hand out are shit.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on August 20, 2023, 08:46:13 AM

But it supports Walmart.

So? Even if I accept that Walmart is somehow evil, me shopping there or not will make zero difference in results.
And beyond that, I don't think Walmart is particularly bad or good. Most of the complaints about Walmart come down to Walmart being a symptom, rather than a root cause of whatever problem someone is taking issue with.

I don't 100% disagree with you, but, as a rule, I don't like big box stores and try not to shop at them. Target is slightly better than Walmart, but not drastically.
Bougie.

If you don't support the other options, you're basically supporting an oligopoly.

Rothman

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 20, 2023, 09:12:01 AM
Quote from: Rothman on August 20, 2023, 08:46:13 AM

But it supports Walmart.

Bougie.

If you don't support the other options, you're basically supporting an oligopoly.

"If you don't pay for things you can't afford, yoi are bad" is an interesting take.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ted$8roadFan

Were I still living in an area where Aldi actually replaces the Winn-Dixie and/or Harvey's physical stores, I would definitely do some shopping there, but not all. Their selection isn't good enough for me to do all my shopping there. As for competition, I think Aldi would pose bigger risks to Walmart and Dollar General as opposed to Publix.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: SP Cook on August 19, 2023, 12:15:01 PM
So this would leave Publix as the only traditional full-line, medium-service grocery store chain in the main part of Florida?

Quote from: wriddle082 on August 19, 2023, 01:15:01 PM
If they completely alter Winn-Dixie into the Aldi model, yes.  The only presence that Kroger has in FL is with grocery delivery.  And Albertsons pulled out of FL at least 10 years ago.  Not sure if Ahold Delhaize ever had a presence in FL with Food Lion.

Long before Delhaize bought out Food Lion, they had a fairly strong presence in Jacksonville (right in the middle of Winn-Dixie's back yard).  When I first moved there back in the mid-1980s, I was right down the road from Winn-Dixie #1 (which had already been rebuilt by then, but was the most poorly-maintained name-brand grocery store that I had ever been in).  At the (then) other end of Baymeadows (FL-152) was a Publix right across from Deerwood (the gated community developed by one of the Davis brothers, ironically a major owner of Winn-Dixie).  Publix was very nice, but much too expensive for my taste, so when I moved down into the Mandarin section I rediscovered Food Lion (which I detested in Blacksburg).

For the record, there are still eight or nine Food Lion stores in Jacksonville proper.  Looks like DeHaize had constructed one on Baymeadows right next door to my first apartment complex, but it folded and is now a Walmart Express (plus a few other storefronts).

HighwayStar

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 20, 2023, 09:03:27 AM

You don't rent carts at Aldi. Unless you're too lazy to put the cart up to get the quarter back.

I'll be honest, I never understood the cart thing at Aldi, but I don't care if I get my quarter back or not, I don't want the hassle in the first place. Every other grocery store in America lets me take the cart to the car, load it, and be on my way, and that is the way I like it.

I bring my own bags on major grocery hauls so its easier to carry things in, but if I stop off for a few items and don't have them with me I still want the convenience of a bag. And I find so many uses for old Walmart bags I never throw them out, they just get repurposed so I am glad to get them.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Dough4872

Quote from: HighwayStar on August 21, 2023, 04:37:21 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 20, 2023, 09:03:27 AM

I'll be honest, I never understood the cart thing at Aldi, but I don't care if I get my quarter back or not, I don't want the hassle in the first place. Every other grocery store in America lets me take the cart to the car, load it, and be on my way, and that is the way I like it.

I bring my own bags on major grocery hauls so its easier to carry things in, but if I stop off for a few items and don't have them with me I still want the convenience of a bag. And I find so many uses for old Walmart bags I never throw them out, they just get repurposed so I am glad to get them.

Weis Markets, a traditional grocery store chain in the Mid-Atlantic states, is starting to use the quarter system for shopping carts at certain stores.

Big John

HighwayStar

kalvado

Quote from: Big John on August 21, 2023, 05:08:18 PM
Too cheap to hire a cart runner.
too american to pick up after yourself?

HighwayStar

Quote from: kalvado on August 21, 2023, 05:15:31 PM

I'm a paying customer, I want a store that provides the services I like if I'm going to spend my money there. I expect good service. If it is American to expect good service then so be it, though I think many other countries would also expect good service.

I worked grocery many years ago, and the focus was on serving our customer. I went and got carts all the time, so that the customers could leave theirs at their car and not bother running it back to the store in the heat, cold, rain, etc. or if they were just busy and had other things to do. If someone needed assistance getting their cart out to the car and loaded (usually someone elderly or disabled) we were happy to assist them, rain, snow, or shine. If someone was buying frozen food and lived a ways out of town and needed to keep it cold we went to our back room and found a couple thick cardboard boxes so they could keep it insulated. All of those jobs were for the courtesy clerks in the front, who also bagged groceries. It was a good first job for high school kids and even other people who had few skills and needed to break into the workforce. And for what it is worth, Sam Walton had similar views about customer service, even if Walmart after his passing has not followed those principles so well.

Sorry, but having to deposit quarters for a stupid cart just rubs me the wrong way.

HighwayStar

Quote from: 1 on August 19, 2023, 05:58:57 PM
I thought Kroger was the more upscale union brand. They have less overlap with Walmart than the lower-priced grocery stores do.

I think Kroger postures itself as "upscale" although in practice I'm not convinced that there is a material difference outside of the specialty departments (ie. meat and seafood).
In my mind a unionized store is not really a positive attribute in and of itself.

kalvado

Quote from: HighwayStar on August 21, 2023, 05:44:35 PM

I'm a paying customer, I want a store that provides the services I like if I'm going to spend my money there. I expect good service. If it is American to expect good service then so be it, though I think many other countries would also expect good service.

I worked grocery many years ago, and the focus was on serving our customer. I went and got carts all the time, so that the customers could leave theirs at their car and not bother running it back to the store in the heat, cold, rain, etc. or if they were just busy and had other things to do. If someone needed assistance getting their cart out to the car and loaded (usually someone elderly or disabled) we were happy to assist them, rain, snow, or shine. If someone was buying frozen food and lived a ways out of town and needed to keep it cold we went to our back room and found a couple thick cardboard boxes so they could keep it insulated. All of those jobs were for the courtesy clerks in the front, who also bagged groceries. It was a good first job for high school kids and even other people who had few skills and needed to break into the workforce. And for what it is worth, Sam Walton had similar views about customer service, even if Walmart after his passing has not followed those principles so well.

Sorry, but having to deposit quarters for a stupid cart just rubs me the wrong way.
As a paying customer, you have an option of leaving the cart wherever and letting someone else collect that quarter. Problem solved? You just have to pay for service 8f you really need it. 

HighwayStar

Quote from: kalvado on August 21, 2023, 06:21:26 PM

As a paying customer, you have an option of leaving the cart wherever and letting someone else collect that quarter. Problem solved? You just have to pay for service 8f you really need it.

I have no desire to screw around with quarters to pay for a service that better stores give me for free. I usually don't even have change on me :coffee:

kalvado

Quote from: HighwayStar on August 21, 2023, 06:29:16 PM

I have no desire to screw around with quarters to pay for a service that better stores give me for free. I usually don't even have change on me :coffee:
Well, there are delivery options for a nominal fee which don't require change. And I don't think there is a chain of luxury grocery in US. I am sure you would balk at somewhat higher prices as well should such chain emerge, though.

HighwayStar

Quote from: kalvado on August 21, 2023, 06:41:24 PM

Well, there are delivery options for a nominal fee which don't require change. And I don't think there is a chain of luxury grocery in US. I am sure you would balk at somewhat higher prices as well should such chain emerge, though.

I am not big on delivery services because for me in my situation they are not much of a value. They tend to have errors in selection, and particularly with things like meat, vegetables, fruit, etc. I want to inspect what I am buying rather than have the first one on the stack carelessly tossed in for me. I also have commutes that take me past the store and I can get to a Walmart Neighborhood market in about 3 minutes when I want to. I've found time to select items online is significant as well so it does not save that much time compared to the store.

That said, I know some people who are quite happy with delivery because they live further away, or have young children that make shopping hard, etc. Just not worth it for me.

There is a distinction between "luxury" and "good service", I don't require luxury, if I did I would not be shopping at Walmart. But I do require good service and generally won't put up with shenanigans like renting a cart or being forced to supply my own bags. I prefer to have a cashier for checkout on larger purchases, but since service in most places is so poor I've taken to self serve for some of those. Ironically, I would be happier at Aldi if they had self service because I'm only buying an item or two and want to get out quickly, not wait for someone to come back up to the front for checkout.

Rothman

Good service and Walmart don't belong in the same sentence.

HighwayStar

Quote from: Rothman on August 21, 2023, 06:59:05 PM
Good service and Walmart don't belong in the same sentence.

In an absolute sense I fully agree. But on the other hand, when I go to Walmart the carts are taken care of for me, bags provided, option of self checkout or operated checkout is given, and they are more than happy to accept my credit card. Can't say the same for a lot of these knock off grocery stores. All of my Walmart purchases synch quickly to my online account so I can see what I bought too, which is a real nice feature. Walmart is relatively good service for the price.

kalvado

Quote from: HighwayStar on August 21, 2023, 06:56:56 PM

I am not big on delivery services because for me in my situation they are not much of a value. They tend to have errors in selection, and particularly with things like meat, vegetables, fruit, etc. I want to inspect what I am buying rather than have the first one on the stack carelessly tossed in for me. I also have commutes that take me past the store and I can get to a Walmart Neighborhood market in about 3 minutes when I want to. I've found time to select items online is significant as well so it does not save that much time compared to the store.

That said, I know some people who are quite happy with delivery because they live further away, or have young children that make shopping hard, etc. Just not worth it for me.

There is a distinction between "luxury" and "good service", I don't require luxury, if I did I would not be shopping at Walmart. But I do require good service and generally won't put up with shenanigans like renting a cart or being forced to supply my own bags. I prefer to have a cashier for checkout on larger purchases, but since service in most places is so poor I've taken to self serve for some of those. Ironically, I would be happier at Aldi if they had self service because I'm only buying an item or two and want to get out quickly, not wait for someone to come back up to the front for checkout.
Sounds like you need to start your own grocery, then. I wonder how many people would share your vision of service...

HighwayStar

Quote from: kalvado on August 21, 2023, 07:06:08 PM
Sounds like you need to start your own grocery, then. I wonder how many people would share your vision of service...

I'd rather takeover an existing outfit, grocery is very much driven by economy of scale so starting from scratch is far more difficult than modifying what already exists.

That aside, I think my vision of service is something that most of the country would share, as its not that far from what the most successful chains already do. Basically Walmart but with a few perks.

Big John

Whole Foods?  I don't know their breadth, but their prices suggest luxury.

HighwayStar

Quote from: Big John on August 21, 2023, 08:43:50 PM
Whole Foods?  I don't know their breadth, but their prices suggest luxury.

Whole Foods...ugh... :banghead:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.