News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Headlines About California Highways – May 2024

Started by cahwyguy, June 01, 2024, 06:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cahwyguy

Here's your monthly headline post: https://cahighways.org/wordpress/?p=16841

The podcast site is still having trouble, thanks to Westhost's mucked up migration. I've been waiting for 8+ hours on hold for chat. Hopefully we'll get it fixed, and then I'll be looking for a new hosting services (SCP sections + Wordpress). Suggestions are welcome.

As always: Ready, set, discuss.

Updates to the California Highways site quite possibly late next weekend. Still trying to get in touch with Joe Rouse to coordinate podcast interview.

ETA: The podcast site appears to be working again. That doesn't change the fact that Westhost support has gone downhill.

Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

Quillz

Good to hear CA-1 is open again. Always love driving Big Sur. Have a trip planned around October that will have me coming to Monterey from Eureka, so on the way home might be able to get my annual Big Sur drive in, assuming nothing else happens.

Quillz

Also just last weekend I drove CA-178 and the one-way traffic appears to either be gone already, or a non-issue. Had zero issues driving through the canyon and don't remember any temporary lane adjustments at all.

Max Rockatansky

Parts of 1 in Big Sur are open again.  A lot of the rest is planned to reopen around Paul's Slide later this year.

pderocco

What is this lane addition on PCH north of Santa Monica? They're going to build a "second northbound lane" in the vicinity of Porto Marina Way? Since when has there not been two lanes in each direction there? 1950 maybe? They call this the "Tramonto Slide", while Tramonto Dr is a road on top of the hill, not next to PCH. There's a steep retaining wall between PCH and Porto Marina that looks iffy, and I could see rerouting PCH ten feet closer to the beach perhaps, but this MSN article doesn't make sense.

Quillz

Quote from: pderocco on June 02, 2024, 01:11:13 AMWhat is this lane addition on PCH north of Santa Monica? They're going to build a "second northbound lane" in the vicinity of Porto Marina Way? Since when has there not been two lanes in each direction there? 1950 maybe? They call this the "Tramonto Slide", while Tramonto Dr is a road on top of the hill, not next to PCH. There's a steep retaining wall between PCH and Porto Marina that looks iffy, and I could see rerouting PCH ten feet closer to the beach perhaps, but this MSN article doesn't make sense.
There is ongoing construction on PCH between Temescal Cyn. Rd. and the California Incline. I thought that was what the article was about, but I think that's something else. There is construction going on immediately after the tunnel and between the California Incline, I'm assuming the lane addition is happening there.

EDIT: There is indeed construction going on at the Porto Marina area, and you are shifted to the left if heading west/northbound. So I think the article is misleading, it will be shifted about 10 feet closer to the coast (likely to make that retaining wall easier to manage), but there is already two lanes there and unless a third one is being added, nothing will actually change in terms of lanes.

pderocco

Quote from: Quillz on June 02, 2024, 01:17:18 AM
Quote from: pderocco on June 02, 2024, 01:11:13 AMWhat is this lane addition on PCH north of Santa Monica? They're going to build a "second northbound lane" in the vicinity of Porto Marina Way? Since when has there not been two lanes in each direction there? 1950 maybe? They call this the "Tramonto Slide", while Tramonto Dr is a road on top of the hill, not next to PCH. There's a steep retaining wall between PCH and Porto Marina that looks iffy, and I could see rerouting PCH ten feet closer to the beach perhaps, but this MSN article doesn't make sense.
There is ongoing construction on PCH between Temescal Cyn. Rd. and the California Incline. I thought that was what the article was about, but I think that's something else. There is construction going on immediately after the tunnel and between the California Incline, I'm assuming the lane addition is happening there.

EDIT: There is indeed construction going on at the Porto Marina area, and you are shifted to the left if heading west/northbound. So I think the article is misleading, it will be shifted about 10 feet closer to the coast (likely to make that retaining wall easier to manage), but there is already two lanes there and unless a third one is being added, nothing will actually change in terms of lanes.
Last time I drove through there was about 10 weeks ago, and there was nothing going on. PCH is six lanes out a little past Temescal, so there would be no logic to adding a third lane for a short distance way out by Porto Marina. That by itself would require shifting the road by 10 feet, meaning no improvement in whatever "slide" problem they have.

That's always a problem with news stories that purport to explain something. 90% of all reporters don't have the intelligence to describe much of anything accurately, or to anticipate what questions readers might have and try to get the answers.

Quillz

Well I was just there two days ago. There is some work being done in the area. What it is specifically, I don't know. But I think at the very least it does involve some lane work as there is both restriping and shifting to the left going on. But it's probably being conflated with the other construction happening farther south. (Which I don't know what that's about, Google Maps shows what looks like some kind of park being constructed, or it might be more houses.)

pderocco

Quote from: Quillz on June 02, 2024, 08:31:34 AMWell I was just there two days ago. There is some work being done in the area. What it is specifically, I don't know. But I think at the very least it does involve some lane work as there is both restriping and shifting to the left going on. But it's probably being conflated with the other construction happening farther south. (Which I don't know what that's about, Google Maps shows what looks like some kind of park being constructed, or it might be more houses.)
If you're talking about the George Wolfberg Park at Potrero Canyon, that's been under some sort of construction for almost forty years. I remember when I first started coming to California almost forty years ago, and hanging out with a friend who lived on the beach just north of the pier, at the bottom of that canyon was the recently closed Sunspot Motel and restaurant, which had been the set for Mildred Pierce's restaurant in the Joan Crawford movie of that name. There was a traffic light there which never changed unless someone southbound got in the left lane and used it to turn around. But even back then, they had started to dismantle what was there, and clean it up, because it was a lousy location for a business. There were jersey barriers along there even back then, and truck tracks all over the place.

When I moved there in 2000, all that was left of the buildings was some cement block ruins, but it looked like a giant sandbox for grown men to play with their full-sized trucks. Soon after 2000, they finally took down the traffic lights, but you can see the turn lanes and stop lines in GSV through 2008. But through the aughts and the teens, they were constantly doing work in there. At one point, there was heavy truck traffic in and out of there, and on neighboring streets, for at least a year, while they basically filled up the canyon with dirt so that it didn't look much like a canyon any more, and then "landscaped" it with all sorts of drainage infrastructure so that it didn't look like a very appealing park either. It looks finished by now, but they still need to get rid of those ugly jersey barriers and leftover construction materials.

SeriesE

Curious about the CA-47/Harbor Blvd interchange project like what's the final configuration. The articles about roads never include a map, and searching by the project name given in the article just leads me to a vague page about a general improvement project along CA-47 (with no diagrams on final configuration) on Caltran's page.

cahwyguy

Quote from: SeriesE on June 13, 2024, 08:29:23 PMCurious about the CA-47/Harbor Blvd interchange project like what's the final configuration. The articles about roads never include a map, and searching by the project name given in the article just leads me to a vague page about a general improvement project along CA-47 (with no diagrams on final configuration) on Caltran's page.

I'm not sure they have a final configuration yet. If I can find one, it will be on my Route 47 page, https://www.cahighways.org/ROUTE047.html
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

Plutonic Panda

May as well bitch about this here since I have in past threads. Once again I am going to go on an anti car rant with a slightly different tone.

The city of Los Angeles seems to operate however the hell they want without any sort of public input especially when it comes to reducing cars to traffic. Their new strategy to butter people up for road diets seems to arbitrarily convert the rightmost lane into a right turn only with no warning at all. They did this on Ventura near Calabasas with little warning on Ventura.

Now they've done it on Hollywood. Never saw any public meeting other than a quick council meeting downtown I was booted out of after discussing my opinions with one of the designers behind the project. The new configuration will be bus/bike lanes separated by car parking lanes. Not sure how that really reduces car dependence but whatever. I'd like to see how just gridlocking traffic in the name of reducing VMT helps with reducing emissions. But before all that is said and done they decided to turn the eastbound right lane on Hollywood at Gower into a right turn only. No new announcements of a traffic change.

As I got caught into that an irate Mexican dude brandished a gun at me. I just let it go as it isn't the first time having that happen and I didn't feel like waiting 3 hours to file a police report. Today I saw a fist fight at the same place because of that. LADOT is getting people hurt with this crap. It will be interesting to see how Hollywood flows with the new setup which I am sure will come no right turns. I don't even think they will enhance the Walk of Fame like they claimed was part of this makeover. From their email announcements it looked like this will be a repaving job closing the road for a few days.

They're proposing the same crap with Fountain from La Brea to La Cienega. At least that might not happen due to pushback similar to their ridiculous Melrose proposal.

I am not even against installing bus and bike lanes. I didn't mind the La Brea conversion I just wish it was 24/7 and the repaved the road, fix the sidewalks, and added bus shelters. All they basically did was restripe the road.

I wouldn't mind Hollywood getting a road diet with how they're proposing it if they'd make Selma and Yucca one way to offset the traffic load.

LA and a LOT of California is hellbent on making traffic hell. Mainly in LA and I really am getting to the point where it is just time to grab popcorn and wait until people get mad enough to undo this crap. Don't worry though we got new subways on the westside coming online in the 2040s at the earliest and an HSR that is coming never.

Oh, and yes, I've written to my senators, assemblymembers council members, and the lady in charge of vision zero. I got her number by banging on my councilmans office door for 10 minutes during the middle of a weekday after trying multiple times. I suppose attending a public meeting is in store but I have anxiety for stuff like this. I have also contacted Metro and Caltrans. Guess what, if is isn't circle jerking them about a mass transit project or inquiring about one I haven't gotten a single response other than them in a happy tone projects like the HDC freeway and 710 Tunnel have been canceled.

This town is ran like a joke. Hyperion Bridge project, Lincoln underpass at Culver, and the I-10/National BLVD./Overland interchange overhaul were supposed to start years ago. No mention of that. Nothing on their website.

Mulholland HGWY Snake reopening is seemingly shelved. Getting ahold of the county on that seems to be impossible but it can be done. So much bureaucracy here and it doesn't need to be like that.

Now we're getting speed cameras on PCH.

No news on the CA-60 widening. No news on the I-710 and I-605 widenings. Now this bill to prevent increased VMT's but widenings are still happening across the state especially in Orange County.

No one in this city cares. Now I am sure at least one person will say just move but no.

Max Rockatansky

I mean, is anything really forcing you to stay?  Regardless of what I might think of all of the above I think it is pretty clear that you aren't happy where you're at. 

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 16, 2024, 09:29:25 AMI mean, is anything really forcing you to stay?  Regardless of what I might think of all of the above I think it is pretty clear that you aren't happy where you're at. 
I'm very happy where I'm at. Ironically, that's what makes me so mad is that they're fucking streets up in traffic up is what's pissing me off. I don't know what is so hard for you to understand about that.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 16, 2024, 10:42:02 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 16, 2024, 09:29:25 AMI mean, is anything really forcing you to stay?  Regardless of what I might think of all of the above I think it is pretty clear that you aren't happy where you're at. 
I'm very happy where I'm at. Ironically, that's what makes me so mad is that they're fucking streets up in traffic up is what's pissing me off. I don't know what is so hard for you to understand about that.

This whole reply is a contradiction.  You say that you are happy but also angry.  Can you not see why what you are feeling might not be overtly clear?

Nonetheless, based off what you wrote above I think a reasonable person would come to the conclusion that aren't happy with your living situation anymore.  I don't think it is unreasonable thing to at least consider shaking things up when one feels that way.  I've moved and left places I've been unhappy with when I've had the opportunity.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 16, 2024, 10:57:53 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 16, 2024, 10:42:02 AM

This whole reply is a contradiction.  You say that you are happy but also angry.  Can you not see why what you are feeling might not be overtly clear?

Nonetheless, based off what you wrote above I think a reasonable person would come to the conclusion that aren't happy with your living situation anymore.  I don't think it is unreasonable thing to at least consider shaking things up when one feels that way.  I've moved and left places I've been unhappy with when I've had the opportunity.
Well, being frustrated with leadership and wanting to leave are not synonymous. You can be frustrated and rant about the situation but still enjoy where you live, even if where you live is part of your frustrations. This is my home los angeles and i'm not leaving. I love it here even if there are certain things that I don't like about it.

Plutonic Panda

The real irony you'd see if you knew me better I bet you'd realize I love this place which is I can become so emotionally involved in these issues and I think we're beginning to head to far to the extreme end of things.

Max Rockatansky

That's the thing, I don't think that I can relate to that mentality anymore.  Probably the closest I felt as you do to a place I lived was all the way back in Michigan.  I found the situation there continuously frustrating and beyond my control. 

The epiphany I came up with was that I was focused too much on external things outside of me.  Fortunately for me I had an opportunity to move on and try new things.  In the long run I was happier for not putting so much of myself into bending where I live to my will.   

Plutonic Panda

Well, i'm not really sure what to say at this point. If there's anywhere else I feel I could live, it would be san francisco. But I want a row home there.

Max Rockatansky

This state has a lot of areas that more align with infrastructure stance you want.  The problem is that you're just limiting yourself to considering places that don't have want those things anymore. 

I'm not sure what the point of complaining to us is?  It isn't as though most of us on this board don't understand the current infrastructure climate in metro Los Angeles. 

FredAkbar

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 16, 2024, 02:12:19 PMWell, i'm not really sure what to say at this point. If there's anywhere else I feel I could live, it would be san francisco. But I want a row home there.

If you're annoyed by how LA treats roads, you sure as hell wouldn't like SF. I posted some gripes a while back and I'm sure it's only gotten worse since I moved away a year ago. And I didn't even mention the city's obsession with 4-way stops. There are whole neighborhoods comprised of a massive grid of 4-way stops. I get the safety benefit but having to stop at a stop sign (often with no other cars around) every block is annoying, bad for emissions, etc.

cahwyguy

All I can say is that last night I was in Hollywood to see Mrs. Doubtfire at the Pantages ( https://cahighways.org/wordpress/?p=16860 ). If anything, traffic was lighter than usual (and no clear reason why). I didn't see any problems -- and Hollywood Blvd does need to be made more pedestrian safe.

Quillz

Nope. He's like the people on my Facebook feed who do nothing but complain about every single last thing about the state they live in, but never once consider moving somewhere where they'd be happier. You get one shot at life, why waste it complaining on the Internet?

Quillz

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 16, 2024, 02:25:01 PMThis state has a lot of areas that more align with infrastructure stance you want.  The problem is that you're just limiting yourself to considering places that don't have want those things anymore. 

I'm not sure what the point of complaining to us is?  It isn't as though most of us on this board don't understand the current infrastructure climate in metro Los Angeles. 
I mentioned before I have no idea why someone like this complains on this message board instead of being more civically active. Vote, vote, vote. Run for public office if you have to. Create petitions, educate people. I get it's time-consuming, but if Panda or anyone else wants to bring about changes they think are necessary, you have to do it the old fashioned way: boots on the ground, so to speak. If you have to be that one guy who goes to every public hearing on every single bit of development, so be it. Get it on the record, get it on the news. All changes like this, especially to cultural attitudes towards infrastructure, start from the bottom up.

And, as always, it's a big country with a lot of people. Everyone has opinions. Everyone thinks their way of doing things is the best. I've said before that I don't understand why Panda's needs or wants are more important than mine, just like mine are not any more important than anyone else's. I simply don't see the value in going on endless rants, especially on a message board. In my case, it will only increase my stress and probably kill me sooner.

Max Rockatansky

He did mention getting removed from a city council meeting and going to a councilman's office.  Can't say that any of it sounded effective but it is definitely more than just talking about stuff on here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.