News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Which Would You Choose? - 4Runner

Started by Bigmikelakers, July 06, 2011, 06:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigmikelakers

I will be in the market for a Toyota 4runner in the next few months and I am stuck between the 3rd gen and 4th gen models. What do you guys think I should choose?

3rd gen 2002

2002 Toyota 4Runner Sport 2 by detzelpretzel, on Flickr

4th gen 2005

2005_Gray_4Runner_006 by mshull, on Flickr

Brandon

A real Jeep if you want a 4X4.

/Yes, I'm very biased.  :sombrero:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

formulanone

Well, newer is usually less expensive in terms of initial maintenance and upkeep...I'm not much of a truck expert, but I've heard the older generations of the 4Runners are more true to their truck roots (although they're all ladder-framed).

Bigmikelakers

Quote from: formulanone on July 06, 2011, 07:28:23 PM
Well, newer is usually less expensive in terms of initial maintenance and upkeep...I'm not much of a truck expert, but I've heard the older generations of the 4Runners are more true to their truck roots (although they're all ladder-framed).

Yeah, I hear the older 3rd gen 4runners are built rock solid. I read plenty of postings of owners who easily pass 200k miles. The newer ones may be slightly less reliable due to all the new electronic gadgets built in them.

US71

Consumers Reports tracks repair records for many vehicles. You may check them out.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Stephane Dumas

Check also for TrueDelta about complaints and all http://www.truedelta.com

And let's check by nostalgia, a first-gen vintage tv ad ;)

corco

The 3rd gen ones are from back when Toyota actually built good cars.

The 4th gen is a poorly built POS (like all Toyotas of the last 6-7 years) that gets called a good car because of the reputation of the 3rd gen.

Where I come from in the mountains of Idaho (very harsh winters) a lot of folks have 3rd gen 4Runners that are still going strong. The 4th gen are pretty widely viewed as pieces of crap.

I'd avoid a Toyota altogether and echo the Jeep sentiment, but hey, that's just me.

BigMattFromTexas

I see the 4th gen all over here in Angelo.. I'd go with the 3rd, because as above, it's older *i.e. better quality* and not that it makes a huge difference, but I like the look of the older ones.
I normally don't give a crap what the car looks like, as long as it runs good, isn't crappy quality, and get me from place to place, without using 1,000,000 gallons of gas... [<hyperbole]

Actually, my mom just got a Hyundai Sonata (08), and it gets worse gas mileage than our 08 Chevy Impala. But neither of those has anything to do with Toyota 4Runners..
My sister was actually looking at getting a 3rd gen.
BigMatt

triplemultiplex

SUV's are for mini-van drivers in denial.  Just like lap dogs are for cat people in denial.  How often are you really going to kick that shit into 4WD?  For reals. 97% of SUV drivers should be driving sedans and minivans and wagons.

As a Los Angelesite, you probably don't have anything to tow and are primarily using your vehicle for commuting and errands, neither of which require an SUV.  Also you get no snow, you have no gravel roads and you pay one of the highest gas prices in the nation.  Is it really worth driving a gas hog around just for the style?  Unless you're going to throw some sic rims on that shit to impress the shorties, I don't see the point in anyone in LA owning an SUV.

I think a person in the city could have a lot more fun with 6 cylinders under the hood of a sedan rather than a land yacht like a 4Runner.  But that's just my opinion as a Midwestern city boy who really only uses his vehicle (Ford Ranger) to go play Up North on extended weekends.  To me, this choice is between Soccer Mom-mobile A and Soccer Mom-mobile B.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

agentsteel53

Quote from: triplemultiplex on July 09, 2011, 07:09:14 PMFor reals. 97% of SUV drivers should be driving sedans and minivans and wagons.

97% of people should be driving 1980s cars that get 50 miles per gallon.  the money they save in gas will pay for the car ($2000-2500) in a few months.  they can keep the SUV in the garage for those special occasions when they go fishing.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Bigmikelakers

I just asked for what vehicle looks better not a lesson on why I should get a car vs a SUV then be insulted for choosing an SUV.

triplemultiplex

Sorry dude.

But one thing that always make an SUV look better is a roof rack.  It gives the impression that one is going to strap something on top of that bad boy at some point.

That said, the older version looks less van-like and therefore, cooler.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Bigmikelakers

Thanks. I understand your point though. I also have an Accord which I use to drive to school and other long distances. The 4runner will be used for mostly for local driving (possibly some offroading) and hauling stuff

Stratuscaster

3rd gen. 4th looks a little too much like a Highlander, and you don't want people to think you're in a glorified station wagon versus a rugged SUV.  :biggrin:

agentsteel53

if you need to haul stuff, can't beat a large vehicle.  I've been known to rent a pickup on occasion... good luck sticking that 54x54 inch sign acquisition into a Corolla!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.