News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Road geek TV alert

Started by Michael in Philly, August 22, 2011, 05:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael in Philly

The next season (17?) of British Top Gear starts tonight - 9 eastern on BBC America.
Just a point of information:  they don't pay me for publicity.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Scott5114

Is Top Gear really roadgeek fare though? I was of the impression that it focused more on cars, and not the roads...

(Not to say some roadgeeks aren't interested in cars, but if you survey the cars found at a road meet, you'll definitely find a general "my car is only to get me to where the button copy is" sort of vibe...)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 23, 2011, 11:15:17 PM
Is Top Gear really roadgeek fare though? I was of the impression that it focused more on cars, and not the roads...

(Not to say some roadgeeks aren't interested in cars, but if you survey the cars found at a road meet, you'll definitely find a general "my car is only to get me to where the button copy is" sort of vibe...)

They do one or two roadtrips per season.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Michael in Philly

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 23, 2011, 11:15:17 PM

They do road trips regularly.  They've gone in search (more than once) of supposed best roads in the world, complained about British (and American)* speed limits, and even had a segment once with the designer of Britain's road signs.

*American fans had suggested that the next time they were here they had to experience the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Once they found out how low the limit was they got the heck out.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

formulanone

I'm a car geek, but typically not very interested in Top Gear...too full of themselves. Occassionally, they do something that catches my eye.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: formulanone on August 24, 2011, 11:49:06 AM
I'm a car geek, but typically not very interested in Top Gear...too full of themselves. Occassionally, they do something that catches my eye.

Ah, that's their shtick.  I find it hilarious.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

berberry

Quote from: Michael in Philly on August 24, 2011, 09:11:17 AM
They do road trips regularly.  They've gone in search (more than once) of supposed best roads in the world, complained about British (and American)* speed limits, and even had a segment once with the designer of Britain's road signs.

Yeah, and I remember a few years ago they did a pretty good episode about what, at least until fairly recently when a new bypass opened, was considered the world's worst road:  Bolivia's Yungas Road.  It's a fascinating and exceedingly dangerous roadway, and until that bypass was built it was the only option for travelling to the south from La Paz, Bolivia's capital city.

Overall, I wouldn't call the show particularly road-geekish, but recurring elements like the road trips do keep it interesting for highway-lovers.

english si

Top Gear isn't a show about cars, it's a show where cars are the foil that brings about banter between the presenters.

Most of the full-of-themselves attitude is sarcasm, or for other comedic effect (such as creating tension for more banter).

Michael in Philly

Quote from: english si on August 24, 2011, 12:53:08 PM
Top Gear isn't a show about cars, it's a show where cars are the foil that brings about banter between the presenters.

Most of the full-of-themselves attitude is sarcasm, or for other comedic effect (such as creating tension for more banter).

Maybe one has to have spent too much time watching Monty Python and Fawlty Towers (which I have) to get British humo(u)r.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.