Comparing Columbia, SC and Raleigh, NC

Started by broadhurst04, February 04, 2012, 10:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadhurst04

The two cities have one thing in common (state capitals), but there are two things about Columbia I like better than Raleigh: one, a more comprehensive freeway system; and two, I find the skyline of Columbia to be much more pleasing to look at than Raleigh.

Columbia has three interstate routes converging there while Raleigh has only one that just brushes by. And that one was an afterthought. It wasnt even part of the original Interstate system (neither was 77 in SC, come to think of it).

I like Columbia's skyline better. The buildings aren't as tall, but there seem to be more of them and they're spread out a bit which makes for a nice panoramic view. Raleigh's skyline is all bunched up on Fayetteville Street. And Two Hannover Square (BB&T) is the most god-awful ugly tall building I've ever seen. I wish there was a TV show called Extreme Makeover: Skyscraper Edition.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

OracleUsr

Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Beltway

Comparing Columbia, SC and Raleigh, NC ... in population comparison, Columbia has about 1/2 of the city pop. and about 1/3 of the metro pop. ... correct?

Raleigh has a suprisingly unimpressive downtown skyline for a state capital city of its size.  

On the other hand, Richmond VA has a suprisingly impressive downtown skyline for a city of its size.  
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

wriddle082

Much of Raleigh's potential for skyline development is most likely located in Research Triangle Park.

Downtown Raleigh does seem to be slightly more difficult to drive into and out of, since there isn't a true freeway leading in (unless you could US 401).  Downtown Columbia has I-126, SC 277, and SC 12 leading in as freeway spurs.

I really don't think there is a fair comparison for the two cities, as they are very different.  The Raleigh area's primary industry is technology (RTP), and the Columbia area's primary industry is national defense (Ft. Jackson, Shaw AFB).  I believe the only ways they are alike are that they're capitals of states called Carolina, and they each have US 1.

broadhurst04

Quote from: Beltway on February 05, 2012, 04:17:39 PM
Comparing Columbia, SC and Raleigh, NC ... in population comparison, Columbia has about 1/2 of the city pop. and about 1/3 of the metro pop. ... correct?

Raleigh has a suprisingly unimpressive downtown skyline for a state capital city of its size. 

On the other hand, Richmond VA has a suprisingly impressive downtown skyline for a city of its size. 

Columbia's city population is about 1/4 that of Raleigh. Metro, about 1/3 to 1/2 I think.

I agree with you about skyline impressions. Richmond's is especially impressive coming in northbound on I-95.

Beltway

Quote from: wriddle082 on February 05, 2012, 04:56:52 PM
Much of Raleigh's potential for skyline development is most likely located in Research Triangle Park.

"Potential"?  IOW, doesn't exist yet.  RTP is about 10 miles from downtown Raleigh.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

goobnav

Quote from: Beltway on February 05, 2012, 10:55:35 PM

"Potential"?  IOW, doesn't exist yet.  RTP is about 10 miles from downtown Raleigh.

I concur, RTP is too far, in fact a good portion is in Durham county, to be considered for Raleigh. 

The skyline maybe small.  They are not trying to be Charlotte.  Don't forget this area is known for the Universities not the cities.
Life is a highway and I drive it all night long!

NJRoadfan

Quote from: goobnav on February 06, 2012, 10:23:25 AM
Quote from: Beltway on February 05, 2012, 10:55:35 PM

I concur, RTP is too far, in fact a good portion is in Durham county, to be considered for Raleigh. 

A small part of Raleigh actually lays in Durham County.

goobnav

Yes, a small part of Raleigh is in Durham county but not in RTP.

a small part of NJ, Ellis Island, is in NY.

broadhurst04

RTP will never have skyscrapers because it was intended to be more of an academic R&D campus and not a commercial business district. The REAL potential for skyline development (in my opinion) is in the triangle formed by 40 on the west, Wade Ave. on the north, and 440 on the east (Fairgrounds/RBC Center area). Either that, or Cary. That downtown is absurdly underdeveloped for a city of over 130,000.

goobnav

Cary won't allow for tall buildings in their downtown.  They have a hard enough time allowing colors outside of neutral spectrum.

Raleigh and Durham have the potential to increase the size of their skylines.

wriddle082

I guess what I meant in my original post is that the Triangle-area companies who would most likely want to build skyscrapers in Downtown Raleigh (or Downtown Durham, for that matter) have chosen to locate in RTP.

Or maybe not, because that brings up another point about many downtown skylines.  Seems like most of the tallest buildings are linked to financial institutions.  Definitely the case with Charlotte, and I suppose Winston-Salem as well.  And also definitely the case with Dallas, TX, as most of the tallest buildings along the US 75 Central Freeway are simply financial institution branches!

But anyway, I don't think Raleigh has the headquarters for a regional bank located downtown.  Columbia has First Citizens, which claims one of the skyscrapers downtown, and I think has a presence in SC and GA (not sure about NC).

Alps

Quote from: goobnav on February 09, 2012, 07:49:07 PM

Mischaracterization. Ellis Island was divided between the states - original island NY, additions NJ. Every original island in the bay belongs to NY, including Staten Island.

goobnav

Quote from: Steve on February 09, 2012, 10:58:18 PM

Mischaracterization. Ellis Island was divided between the states - original island NY, additions NJ. Every original island in the bay belongs to NY, including Staten Island.

My point was that it had nothing to do with this thread, just like the part of Raleigh being in Durham county.

goobnav

Quote from: wriddle082 on February 09, 2012, 10:30:40 PM
I guess what I meant in my original post is that the Triangle-area companies who would most likely want to build skyscrapers in Downtown Raleigh (or Downtown Durham, for that matter) have chosen to locate in RTP.

Or maybe not, because that brings up another point about many downtown skylines.  Seems like most of the tallest buildings are linked to financial institutions.  Definitely the case with Charlotte, and I suppose Winston-Salem as well.  And also definitely the case with Dallas, TX, as most of the tallest buildings along the US 75 Central Freeway are simply financial institution branches!

But anyway, I don't think Raleigh has the headquarters for a regional bank located downtown.  Columbia has First Citizens, which claims one of the skyscrapers downtown, and I think has a presence in SC and GA (not sure about NC).

Red Hat is taking over the Progress Energy HQ in downtown Raleigh, BB&T still has it's presence in Raleigh and First Citizens has a processing center just south of downtown on Hammond Rd.  Granted that's not a tall building but, it is a presence in NC.  See link below for First Citizens processing center.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Raleigh,+NC&hl=en&ll=35.728085,-78.640448&spn=0.000017,0.006877&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.082817,56.337891&oq=Ralei&safe=high&hnear=Raleigh,+Wake,+North+Carolina&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=35.727898,-78.640427&panoid=Cs646bDIDvtd6J87w-0y3A&cbp=12,68.54,,0,-6.12

Alps

Quote from: goobnav on February 10, 2012, 08:52:26 AM
Quote from: Steve on February 09, 2012, 10:58:18 PM

My point was that it had nothing to do with this thread, just like the part of Raleigh being in Durham county.

Neither does Bookbinder's lobster bisque.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.