News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

Quote from: andrepoiy on May 03, 2021, 04:55:24 PM
In Ontario, when you register a car, you get your license in-person, right there. I'm assuming that each location has a stash of plates and they just punch in the serial into the database or something when they issue a plate.  So we don't really see un-plated cars or cars with temporary tags.

Waiting for license plates to come in the mail is so foreign to me haha.

That's convenient!

Is it the same if you're buying from a dealership?  Do they keep a supply on hand? 

andrepoiy

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 03, 2021, 04:56:24 PM
In Ontario, when you register a car, you get your license in-person, right there. I'm assuming that each location has a stash of plates and they just punch in the serial into the database or something when they issue a plate.  So we don't really see un-plated cars or cars with temporary tags.

That's convenient!

Is it the same if you're buying from a dealership?  Do they keep a supply on hand?

Yup, same with a dealer.

Scott5114

Oklahoma is similar, although the tags are processed through a tag agent rather than at the dealership. The dealer issues a paper tag that you keep on the car while you wait for the new title to be issued. Then when you get the title in the mail, you go to the tag agency and they hand you a tag right then from a stash they keep under the counter.

Of course, recently they changed the rules so that tags stay with the owner, so this process only happens if you are adding a new car without having a plate to put on it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

OCGuy81

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 03, 2021, 05:04:42 PM

Oklahoma is similar, although the tags are processed through a tag agent rather than at the dealership. The dealer issues a paper tag that you keep on the car while you wait for the new title to be issued. Then when you get the title in the mail, you go to the tag agency and they hand you a tag right then from a stash they keep under the counter.

Of course, recently they changed the rules so that tags stay with the owner, so this process only happens if you are adding a new car without having a plate to put on it.

The recent rule change you mention got me curious, and apologies if this has been asked on here before, but what states allow the plate to stay with the owner?

I know Oregon is one such state.  I've seen older plates, like ones when the letters were on the left side, on brand new vehicles.  Of course, it seems more people don't bother to keep their old plates, and just get whatever the DMV sends them, but it's apparently an option.

kphoger

Kansas does.  I've had the same license plate for three vehicles now.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

OCGuy81

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2021, 05:31:44 PM
Kansas does.  I've had the same license plate for three vehicles now.

Is it cheaper to do it that way?  I don't see it done very often in Oregon (save personalized ones).

kphoger

Cheaper than what?  AFAIK, it's the only way they do it here.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

OCGuy81

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2021, 05:35:57 PM
Cheaper than what?  AFAIK, it's the only way they do it here.

Ah, I see.  Here, I see a mix of transferred plates and new ones.

Example would be my neighbors got a new car and transferred the plate from their old Camry.

But I have some friends in Portland that bought a new car and got brand new plates. Seems like Oregon gives you the option.

vdeane

Same for NY, though I'm curious what happens right now with the DMV closed to most in-person services.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Flint1979

When is Michigan going to get a nice looking license plate? And they can take that stupid website off of it while they are at it too. Also why can't Michigan have just one license plate? We have like five different license plates, maybe more. Every time they come up with a new plate it's almost always something about the Great Lakes I mean I know Michigan is known for bordering four of the Great Lakes but come up with something new for a change.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Personally, I don't think paper temp tags should exist, at all. As far as I know in NY they only issue metal tags. Temp tags are way too easy to fake and if I see one on the road, especially attached to a hooptie, I assume the car is uninsured and running away if they hit me.

Scott5114

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on May 03, 2021, 08:59:58 PM
Personally, I don't think paper temp tags should exist, at all. As far as I know in NY they only issue metal tags. Temp tags are way too easy to fake and if I see one on the road, especially attached to a hooptie, I assume the car is uninsured and running away if they hit me.

What is your proposed solution for the time between you take possession of a car and the time that you get the title to it issued in your name, then? Even if you could immediately get your license plate with a bill of sale instead of the title, that still raises the question of what to do during times when the dealership is open and the DMV is not (e.g. weekends and any time after 5pm).

For that matter, what do you do if you're driving from the dealership to the tag agency or DMV? Not have a license plate at all? Leave the car at the dealership and take an Uber to the DMV and back?

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 03, 2021, 09:20:00 PM

What is your proposed solution for the time between you take possession of a car and the time that you get the title to it issued in your name, then? Even if you could immediately get your license plate with a bill of sale instead of the title, that still raises the question of what to do during times when the dealership is open and the DMV is not (e.g. weekends and any time after 5pm).

There are states, or at least places in certain states, where this already happens. My first car, I bought from a used-car dealer in suburban Chicago on a Saturday evening, and the plates and sticker were put on the car and the registration was handed to me with the rest of the paperwork. I didn't think it was a particularly big deal, and they didn't even pat themselves on the back all that hard for doing it, like they did with the free car wash.

So, on the whole, I don't think that getting rid of temporary plates would be an issue with dealer sales. With private sales, though, things would likely be trickier.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

NoGoodNamesAvailable

For that matter, what do you do if you're driving from the dealership to the tag agency or DMV? Not have a license plate at all? Leave the car at the dealership and take an Uber to the DMV and back?

Why are you acting like this is hypothetical? This is what New York currently does. I don't think temp tags are issued at all, or if they are, in an extremely limited capacity, because I've never seen one in my life.

Generally when buying from a dealership they handle everything with the DMV for you, so you just drive off the lot with permanent tags when the sale is finalized.

For private sales, you don't need to wait for a new title to arrive. You just need the old title signed by the seller and a bill of sale, and that's your proof of ownership. Yes, you may need to wait a couple days for the DMV to open. That's a small inconvenience but doesn't warrant compromising the integrity of the entire license plate system by introducing paper temp tags that are extremely easy to forge.

andrepoiy

^Ya, in Ontario I have never seen a temp tag either, even though they apparently do exist

Scott5114

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on May 03, 2021, 09:32:06 PM

Why are you acting like this is hypothetical? This is what New York currently does. I don't think temp tags are issued at all, or if they are, in an extremely limited capacity, because I've never seen one in my life.

Generally when buying from a dealership they handle everything with the DMV for you, so you just drive off the lot with permanent tags when the sale is finalized.

For private sales, you don't need to wait for a new title to arrive. You just need the old title signed by the seller and a bill of sale, and that's your proof of ownership. Yes, you may need to wait a couple days for the DMV to open. That's a small inconvenience but doesn't warrant compromising the integrity of the entire license plate system by introducing paper temp tags that are extremely easy to forge.

Guess I'm just used to the "we have your money, now you're on your own, lol" attitude of Oklahoma dealerships.

Here, you need the title in your name before you are allowed to get a plate, and the title transfer process can take up to 30 days. So the Oklahoma 30-day temporary tag is necessary to smooth the process. At least having a temporary tag allows a small amount of accountability that just driving around unplated would not.

LM117

Due to a worldwide aluminum shortage, NC has suspended it's recent program of replacing plates that are older than 6 years.

https://www.wral.com/aluminum-shortage-forces-dmv-to-hit-brakes-on-plate-replacement-program/19658423/
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

SP Cook

As to temporary plates and all of that, in WV, they do it this way:

If you trade a car at an in-state dealer, the dealer will put your old plates on your new car, and issue you a temporary registration card, then the DMV will mail you the permanent card in a week or so. 

If you are buying a car without a trade, some dealers are hooked into the DMV computer and keep plates on hand and will just put one on the car, others will issue you a temporary paper plate, which now come in two forms.  Many dealers print them on plain paper, which has the info all printed on it, which is inserted into a clear plastic sleeve and put on the car, while others still use a heavy cardboard plate that they have to fill out with a black marker.

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 03, 2021, 08:54:12 PM
When is Michigan going to get a nice looking license plate?

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 03, 2021, 09:23:57 PM

There are states, or at least places in certain states, where this already happens. My first car, I bought from a used-car dealer in suburban Chicago on a Saturday evening, and the plates and sticker were put on the car and the registration was handed to me with the rest of the paperwork. I didn't think it was a particularly big deal, and they didn't even pat themselves on the back all that hard for doing it, like they did with the free car wash.

So, on the whole, I don't think that getting rid of temporary plates would be an issue with dealer sales. With private sales, though, things would likely be trickier.

When I sold a car directly to the buyer in the Chicago suburbs, I simply kept the rear plate and let him drive home with the front plate only.
Male pronouns, please.

fillup420

Quote from: LM117 on May 04, 2021, 08:13:08 AM
Due to a worldwide aluminum shortage, NC has suspended it's recent program of replacing plates that are older than 6 years.

https://www.wral.com/aluminum-shortage-forces-dmv-to-hit-brakes-on-plate-replacement-program/19658423/

I hope this means I can keep my red-letter plate for a while longer. They were only produced for a short time, so they have become somewhat rare

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2021, 12:56:19 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 03, 2021, 08:54:12 PM
When is Michigan going to get a nice looking license plate?

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 03, 2021, 09:23:57 PM

When I sold a car directly to the buyer in the Chicago suburbs, I simply kept the rear plate and let him drive home with the front plate only.
Geez I remember those license plates lol. Still need to come up with something new.

frankenroad

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 03, 2021, 05:17:40 PM

The recent rule change you mention got me curious, and apologies if this has been asked on here before, but what states allow the plate to stay with the owner?

I know Ohio, Maryland, New Hampshire, Virginia, Vermont, and Massachusetts all do.

Some states I know that DON'T are Texas, Arizona, and California.

My limited knowledge outlined above has always made me assume that plates staying with car, not the owner, is a western thing.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

kalvado

Quote from: frankenroad on May 05, 2021, 11:10:51 AM

I know Ohio, Maryland, New Hampshire, Virginia, Vermont, and Massachusetts all do.

My limited knowledge outlined above has always made me assume that plates staying with car, not the owner, is a western thing.
Not sure how accurate this is, but a quick google search shows this map:

StogieGuy7

Quote from: kalvado on May 05, 2021, 11:38:33 AM
Quote from: frankenroad on May 05, 2021, 11:10:51 AM

Not sure how accurate this is, but a quick google search shows this map:

I think that's pretty close.  Every state I've lived in, save for CA, has the plate stay with the owner.  In some states, you sell the car and you just keep the plates as a souvenir because it's easier than transferring your plates to the new car (UT comes to mind).  IL and many others incentivize you to use your old plates when you trade in your car. 

andrepoiy

Ontario also stays with owner

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.