News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: thenetwork on March 31, 2023, 10:38:42 PM

Quote from: thenetwork on February 07, 2023, 09:42:36 PM

Quote from: Fredddie on February 07, 2023, 01:46:41 AM
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2023/01/30/blackout-plates-popular-in-other-states-may-be-headed-for-minnesota

Minnesota might get "blackout" plates, which are hugely popular in Iowa.

The article mentions Colorado having blackout  plates -- FALSE!!!  Although there is a small independent petition drive going on on the internet to persuade the state to offer one.

I stand corrected...

Just in the past week and a half, I have seen 2 separate sets of white-on-black Colorado plates.  The state is also offering white-on-blue and white-on-red plates as well.  So that is an actual thing now here in the Rockies!!!

I just saw a white-on-black Colorado plate here in Wichita the other day, even.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

mgk920

kalvado

Quote from: mgk920 on April 07, 2023, 12:29:24 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 06, 2023, 05:00:51 PM
PennDOT - Statewide News: PennDOT Announces New License Plates to Help Grow and Sustain Plants and Pollinators

Speaking of 'pollinators', are honeybees even 'native' in North America?

Mike
They would be called "invasive species" if we didn't need honeybees so much.
Using the opportunity to advertise a book "Where do camels belong":
https://www.amazon.com/Where-Do-Camels-Belong-invasive/dp/1781251746
It boils down to -  it's invasive if we don't like it; otherwise its a welcome addition to the ecosystem.

mgk920

Quote from: kalvado on April 07, 2023, 12:34:33 PM
PennDOT - Statewide News: PennDOT Announces New License Plates to Help Grow and Sustain Plants and Pollinators

Mike
It boils down to -  it's invasive if we don't like it; otherwise its a welcome addition to the ecosystem.

I also believe that common earthworms are not native in North America and in fact have had a profound effect on the forest ecosystems here (think in terms of seriously less leaf litter and what all would otherwise normally come with it).

:-o

Mike

Flint1979

How far has Michigan's Water Winter Wonderland plate made it so far? I mean has anyone outside of Michigan actually seen one yet?

kalvado

Quote from: mgk920 on April 07, 2023, 11:05:02 PM
Quote from: kalvado on April 07, 2023, 12:34:33 PM

Mike

I also believe that common earthworms are not native in North America and in fact have had a profound effect on the forest ecosystems here (think in terms of seriously less leaf litter and what all would otherwise normally come with it).

:-o

Mike
Ecosystem of northern US and Canada is brand new by ecosystem scale. Just 10 000 years ago the very point I am sitting right now was covered with thick layer of ice from Laurentide ice sheet. That means there were no native plants, earthworms, and very few, if any, animals. Everything that lives around here was introduced - manually or naturally - within past 10k years. That includes earthworms, both still slowly propagating northward from warmer areas where they survived glacier and hitchhikers.

MATraveler128

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 08, 2023, 08:52:04 AM
How far has Michigan's Water Winter Wonderland plate made it so far? I mean has anyone outside of Michigan actually seen one yet?

I just saw one today. I’ve seen a few around, but it’s mainly been the Pure Michigan design.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

chrisdiaz

I've seen quite a few. I'm in the Myrtle Beach area.

Flint1979

I've seen a lot since I'm IN Michigan. I haven't seen one the few times I went outside of the state though. I've got one myself so I see one every single day but it's mostly a mixture of the three plates here. I love how you don't have to get the ugly Pure Michigan plate anymore.

StogieGuy7

I see them fairly often along the I-94 corridor between Chicago and Milwaukee. Just saw one yesterday at my local Kwik Trip, gassing up before crossing the border into the land of California-priced gasoline (a.k.a. Illinois). Those MI WWW plates are really very attractive.

Flint1979

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on April 11, 2023, 09:47:11 AM

I see them fairly often along the I-94 corridor between Chicago and Milwaukee. Just saw one yesterday at my local Kwik Trip, gassing up before crossing the border into the land of California-priced gasoline (a.k.a. Illinois). Those MI WWW plates are really very attractive.
They certainly are a nice choice after being stuck with the Pure Michigan plates for a decade. I also liked the pre 2007 plates that were blue with white lettering/numbering and it simply said MICHIGAN at the top and GREAT LAKES at the bottom but I do like the WWW ones better, they are a throwback plate from the 60's but look real nice in 2023.

rlb2024

I saw one in South Carolina a few days ago.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 11, 2023, 11:15:23 AM

They certainly are a nice choice after being stuck with the Pure Michigan plates for a decade. I also liked the pre 2007 plates that were blue with white lettering/numbering and it simply said MICHIGAN at the top and GREAT LAKES at the bottom but I do like the WWW ones better, they are a throwback plate from the 60's but look real nice in 2023.

Agree!

The color scheme is nice, the uniquely sized font that is embossed into the plate is nice - it's all good.  Just a shame that Michiganders can't get 2 plates.

These retro designs really hit it out of the park: another favorite of mine is the 60's California gold on black plate. It is just fantastic. Too bad they didn't get enough support for the 70's gold on blue plate to have it offered as well (it was an option but didn't get enough orders to be produced). Between the two, I guess I understand why black won out.

frankenroad

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 10, 2023, 11:02:12 AM
I've seen a lot since I'm IN Michigan. I haven't seen one the few times I went outside of the state though. I've got one myself so I see one every single day but it's mostly a mixture of the three plates here. I love how you don't have to get the ugly Pure Michigan plate anymore.

I've seen two or three here in Ohio, not including the one on my sister's car when she visited earlier this year.  I would probably have seen a lot more if I used I-75 on a regular basis, but my daily commute is all surface streets.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

thenetwork

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on April 11, 2023, 12:49:25 PM

Agree!

The color scheme is nice, the uniquely sized font that is embossed into the plate is nice - it's all good.  Just a shame that Michiganders can't get 2 plates.

These retro designs really hit it out of the park: another favorite of mine is the 60's California gold on black plate. It is just fantastic. Too bad they didn't get enough support for the 70's gold on blue plate to have it offered as well (it was an option but didn't get enough orders to be produced). Between the two, I guess I understand why black won out.

I am surprised that the 1970's retro gold-on-blue plates (aka the LA Rams color plates) in California didn't fly. Those were my favorite.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: thenetwork on April 11, 2023, 07:10:23 PM

Agree!

I am surprised that the 1970's retro gold-on-blue plates (aka the LA Rams color plates) in California didn't fly. Those were my favorite.

Same here. When the options first came up, I was sure the blue and black versions would have enough sales. The yellow/gold 50's style is nice too but few are old enough to remember them (including me, they were issuing gold on black when I was born). So I did not expect that one to make it - but it was a surprise that blue didn't make it either. That one screams "California" to those of us who grew up in a certain era.

jdbx

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on April 12, 2023, 07:51:34 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on April 11, 2023, 07:10:23 PM

Agree!

Same here. When the options first came up, I was sure the blue and black versions would have enough sales. The yellow/gold 50's style is nice too but few are old enough to remember them (including me, they were issuing gold on black when I was born). So I did not expect that one to make it - but it was a surprise that blue didn't make it either. That one screams "California" to those of us who grew up in a certain era.

I have the gold-on-black plates on both of my cars, I like them so much better than the tired general issue lipstock font plate.  I seem to share that opinion with a lot of other people, because we are now at a point where a significant minority of vehicles have the gold-on-black plates.

What I would like to see them bring back is the sunset Golden State plates that were issued briefly in the mid-1980's.  That was a nice-looking clean design that did not deserve to die on the vine as quickly as it did.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: jdbx on April 12, 2023, 10:29:28 AM
What I would like to see them bring back is the sunset Golden State plates that were issued briefly in the mid-1980's.  That was a nice-looking clean design that did not deserve to die on the vine as quickly as it did.

At the time that they came out, I thought they were the best looking plate ever designed. I couldn't believe that they were discontinued a few short years later in favor of a much more boring substitute.

OCGuy81

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on April 12, 2023, 02:57:33 PM

I call that one the "80's Movie Plate".  It was a great design.

At the time that they came out, I thought they were the best looking plate ever designed. I couldn't believe that they were discontinued a few short years later in favor of a much more boring substitute.

jdbx

Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 12, 2023, 05:04:12 PM

Made famous from the opening credits scene for the TV series "LA Law"

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: jdbx on April 12, 2023, 05:36:35 PM

It didn't last as long as the show. 

MattCollopy

I think the old design was so iconic and fit in so well with the Rhode Island vibe. They had been saying they were gonna replace it for many years before and it's awesome that they finally did it. I haven't got a close enough look at one to see but it might have the 3M HD sheeting that they were rolling out in Kansas and Oklahoma and some other states too I think. So they might not peel like some of the older flat plates. I think it's great that they decided to choose this one instead of that ugly white on navy blue plate they were proposing a few years ago.
2dis:5,10,11,15,20,24,26,29,35,40,44,55,57,64,65,66,68,69,70,71,74(in),75,76(e),77,78,79,80,81,83,84(e)86(e)87,88(ny),90,91,93,95,99.
2dis Clinched:
11,59,66,68,71,76(E)78,83,84(e)86,(e),88(e),99

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: jdbx on April 12, 2023, 05:36:35 PM

That was one of my favorites.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

mgk920

Wisconsin has begun issuing special 'fleet' plates for cars, I saw two different ones while driving around Appleton today.  Interesting design element, in the smallest text that I have yet seen as a design element on a plate, they have "AMERICA'S DAIRYLAND" right below the normally sized state name at the top in an otherwise unadorned design (all black text and letters/numbers) and the word "FLEET" at the bottom.  I don't know if I would reject a car rental if the car did not have normal issue/design plates for the state that I am in.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.