News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Big John on November 13, 2023, 10:41:45 AM
Quote from: kphoger on November 13, 2023, 10:29:26 AM
Quote from: TheCatalyst31 on November 12, 2023, 06:11:44 PM

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 11, 2023, 03:50:52 AM
These are probably year-of-manufacture programs (e.g. you can display a 1968 plate on a car made in 1968).

California has those too, but they also haven't fully replaced existing license plates since 1963, meaning it's technically possible for a yellow-on-black 1963 base plate to still be on the road. Of course, in practice there are very few plates that hung on that long. A few other states are the same way; I think in Oregon you can still have a plate issued in 1956 on the road.

Correct.  I've personally seen a California plate from the "2" series (1980s) on the road here in the Midwest as recently as a couple of years ago.  I mentioned to the owner that she must have had her vehicle for quite a while, that it was cool to see such an old serial number still in use, and she didn't seem to have much clue what I was talking about.
Someone else may have had that vehicle before her as California policy is that the plate stays with the vehicle if ownership changes.

In Massachusetts, the green and white plates (greenies) first issued in 1977, can still be used today, although few are remaining. It seems a though more states are eliminating mandatory replacement cycles (if they had them).

Rothman

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on November 14, 2023, 06:25:54 AM

These are probably year-of-manufacture programs (e.g. you can display a 1968 plate on a car made in 1968).

California has those too, but they also haven't fully replaced existing license plates since 1963, meaning it's technically possible for a yellow-on-black 1963 base plate to still be on the road. Of course, in practice there are very few plates that hung on that long. A few other states are the same way; I think in Oregon you can still have a plate issued in 1956 on the road.

Correct.  I've personally seen a California plate from the "2" series (1980s) on the road here in the Midwest as recently as a couple of years ago.  I mentioned to the owner that she must have had her vehicle for quite a while, that it was cool to see such an old serial number still in use, and she didn't seem to have much clue what I was talking about.
Someone else may have had that vehicle before her as California policy is that the plate stays with the vehicle if ownership changes.

In Massachusetts, the green and white plates (greenies) first issued in 1977, can still be used today, although few are remaining. It seems a though more states are eliminating mandatory replacement cycles (if they had them).
Yep.  My parents kept their green-on-white up until only a decade ago or so.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

My mom still has a green plate.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Big John

Wisconsin is doing the opposite.  They have reinstated the mandatory replacement cycle because there is significant deterioration of the plates over time.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on November 14, 2023, 06:57:28 AM

Yep.  My parents kept their green-on-white up until only a decade ago or so.
I've seen restoration services offered for those plates. While non official, they restore plates to the original specs, and there is no explicit prohibition. So looks like it's not unacceptable to do so.
Car must be parked while the plate is serviced though....

GaryV

Quote from: kalvado on November 15, 2023, 08:08:34 AM
I've seen restoration services offered for those plates. While non official, they restore plates to the original specs, and there is no explicit prohibition. So looks like it's not unacceptable to do so.
Ehh, just give me a skateboard, a rope and a couple cans of paint ....

SidS1045

Quote from: kalvado on November 15, 2023, 08:08:34 AMI've seen restoration services offered for those plates. While non official, they restore plates to the original specs, and there is no explicit prohibition. So looks like it's not unacceptable to do so.

This is one such service:  https://houseofjoyfulnoise.com/motor-vehicle-license-plate-refurbishing/

Apparently some inspection stations are recommending this service to customers whose plates would otherwise fail inspection.  I've also heard that, unofficially, State Police troopers are recommending this service.

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

StogieGuy7

Quote from: Big John on November 14, 2023, 08:04:06 AM
Wisconsin is doing the opposite.  They have reinstated the mandatory replacement cycle because there is significant deterioration of the plates over time.

I thought that the delamination in IL plates was bad, but that's nothing compared with the way WI plates deteriorate over time. I see multiple plates that are at least partially down to bare metal every single day.  And given how picky many WI law enforcement agencies are regarding even modest speeding, I'm surprised that illegible plates seem to be ignored up here. Unless they all have a relative in the local PD, which is entirely possible in Wisconsin.

mgk920

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on November 16, 2023, 01:16:41 PM
Quote from: Big John on November 14, 2023, 08:04:06 AM

I thought that the delamination in IL plates was bad, but that's nothing compared with the way WI plates deteriorate over time. I see multiple plates that are at least partially down to bare metal every single day.  And given how picky many WI law enforcement agencies are regarding even modest speeding, I'm surprised that illegible plates seem to be ignored up here. Unless they all have a relative in the local PD, which is entirely possible in Wisconsin.

There was a news item a couple of years ago about WisDOT buying cheaper inferior plate 'blanks' (from3M) and then going back to the old prior supplier (Arvin), this right before they went to the LLL-NNNN number format.  Prior to that first switch, Wisconsin plates were very durable and long lived, suffering only some minor fading over time.  In fact, 3M recommends a seven year replacement cycle on their plates (way too often for something like that, IMHO).

Mike

machias

I was in Upstate New York this past weekend and a few observations:

1. There's quite a few Empire State plates still around even though the "A" series are over 20 years old. They're holding up quite well.
2. Empire Gold plates are very common, and peeling Empire Gold plates are quite common as well. I asked a relative when they were replacing their peeling plate, and they said they're not nearly as bad as other plates on the road, but he could get a ticket for them.
3. The new Excelsior Plates are well into the "L" series.
4. It's rather cool seeing so many older Empire State plates with held over Liberty plate numbering schemes (like ABC-123, 1AB-C23 or A1B-234). I don't know that I saw Empire Gold or Excelsior Plate with Liberty plates numbering, though I did see some Excelsior Plates with "E" and "F" serials

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: SidS1045 on November 15, 2023, 02:28:02 PM
Quote from: kalvado on November 15, 2023, 08:08:34 AMI've seen restoration services offered for those plates. While non official, they restore plates to the original specs, and there is no explicit prohibition. So looks like it's not unacceptable to do so.

This is one such service:  https://houseofjoyfulnoise.com/motor-vehicle-license-plate-refurbishing/

Apparently some inspection stations are recommending this service to customers whose plates would otherwise fail inspection.  I've also heard that, unofficially, State Police troopers are recommending this service.

Glad to see that this service exists. I wonder how the refurbished plates will hod up if/when automated plate readers become advanced enough to recognize only newer plates.

kalvado

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on November 21, 2023, 06:04:52 AM
Quote from: SidS1045 on November 15, 2023, 02:28:02 PM

Glad to see that this service exists. I wonder how the refurbished plates will hod up if/when automated plate readers become advanced enough to recognize only newer plates.
What exactly do you mean by "advanced enough"?
Either you assume there is a technical problem with reading this style of plate - then what is that? Lower green/white contrast?  Wrong font?
Given that there is no universal standard for plate design, readers better be flexible at reading anything the human eye can read. There are some plate designs in this thread which would be even more challenging.
Or you assume they will be deliberately set up to ignore still legal plate? Well, that's a court case.

The only situation things may be problematic, IMHO, is if there is a country-wide transition to some smart plates with built-in communication functionality. But that's not even on horizon.

burgess87

Quote from: machias on November 20, 2023, 07:28:33 PM

1. There's quite a few Empire State plates still around even though the "A" series are over 20 years old. They're holding up quite well.
2. Empire Gold plates are very common, and peeling Empire Gold plates are quite common as well. I asked a relative when they were replacing their peeling plate, and they said they're not nearly as bad as other plates on the road, but he could get a ticket for them.
4. It's rather cool seeing so many older Empire State plates with held over Liberty plate numbering schemes (like ABC-123, 1AB-C23 or A1B-234). I don't know that I saw Empire Gold or Excelsior Plate with Liberty plates numbering, though I did see some Excelsior Plates with "E" and "F" serials

What many folks don't know is that the DMV will replace peeling plates at no charge.  In my day job (working for the public library), I've told quite a few people that & hopefully saved them a citation.  I've also seen Empire Gold and Liberty numbering on the new Excelsior plates.  As for my Empire Golds, they're still holding up very well with no peeling.

TheCleanDemon

I didn't see it mentioned, but Kansas unveiled a new plate....

......that was so unpopular that they are now walking it back and revising it.

https://www.kcur.org/news/2023-11-28/kansas-will-redo-its-new-license-plate-design-because-a-lot-of-people-hate-it

Big John

Quote from: burgess87 on November 29, 2023, 10:29:39 AM
Quote from: machias on November 20, 2023, 07:28:33 PM

What many folks don't know is that the DMV will replace peeling plates at no charge.  In my day job (working for the public library), I've told quite a few people that & hopefully saved them a citation.  I've also seen Empire Gold and Liberty numbering on the new Excelsior plates.  As for my Empire Golds, they're still holding up very well with no peeling.
Wisconsin charges a mandatory plate replacement fee with the only exception being if the peeling plate is less than 5 years old.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: TheCleanDemon on November 29, 2023, 10:42:14 AM

https://www.kcur.org/news/2023-11-28/kansas-will-redo-its-new-license-plate-design-because-a-lot-of-people-hate-it

Shocking that a plate with University of Missouri colors didn't fly in Kansas.

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 02, 2023, 01:24:28 PM
Two new Colorado plates now available. I like the art vibes on the lefthand one.

Just ordered the lefthand one for myself yesterday. Saw one on the road the other day and it looked nice.

SP Cook

"To the stars"???

What is that supposed to mean?  Apparently its the state motto, translated into English?  Also pretty close to the motto of the RAF, and its spin-offs. 

Really? 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: SP Cook on November 29, 2023, 11:12:40 AM
"To the stars"???

What is that supposed to mean?  Apparently its the state motto, translated into English?  Also pretty close to the motto of the RAF, and its spin-offs. 

Really?

It's pretty well known that "ad astra per aspera" is the Kansas motto. One of the most popular local beers in Lawrence is Ad Astra Ale.

SP Cook

Well, OK then.  When I think of stars, the real type, I would think of NASA in Florida or Texas;  the people type I would think of California. 

When I think of Kansas, I think of wheat.

GaryV

The translation of the whole motto is "to the stars through difficulties".

At least it's not "To the moon". First seeing the "to the stars" plate, I immediately thought of Ralph yelling at Alice.

7/8

They should just go back to this beauty (or something similar):

thenetwork

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 02, 2023, 01:24:28 PM
Two new Colorado plates now available. I like the art vibes on the lefthand one.

Just ordered the lefthand one for myself yesterday. Saw one on the road the other day and it looked nice.

[/quote]

Even though that plate on the left is actually WHITE text on the plate in the wild, it's only a tad easier to read in the wild. IMHO, they are still the hardest to read plates in the state.

I wanted to go with the white-on-black and white-on-blue plates for my vehicles last week, but the online plate renewal website told us that in our county (Mesa) we would have had to do it at the license bureau as it did not allow us to order new plates online.

vdeane

I'm not surprised.  Maybe they should have asked New York how that design works.  It's very similar to our Empire Gold plates, and people didn't like them here either.  Come to think of it, the Empire Blue plates didn't really start disappearing until the Excelsior plates came out...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Ted$8roadFan

OCGuy81

Quote from: vdeane on November 29, 2023, 08:29:31 PM

I'm not surprised.  Maybe they should have asked New York how that design works.  It's very similar to our Empire Gold plates, and people didn't like them here either.  Come to think of it, the Empire Blue plates didn't really start disappearing until the Excelsior plates came out...

I'm assuming this is just a sample, but, are they starting a new sequence?  They just switched to 1234ABC a few months ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.