News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7/8

Quote from: plain on May 03, 2024, 04:37:27 PMhttps://maps.app.goo.gl/H65XMmtmXE8bUAnW6

I'm fascinated by the road design. The centreline of the road looks somewhat flat, but the sides have a steep crossfall (this view shows how tilted the cars are along the curbs). I'm used to 2% crossfalls directly from the centreline which looks very discreet in comparison (example in Kitchener, ON).

plain

Quote from: 7/8 on May 03, 2024, 05:00:15 PM
Quote from: plain on May 03, 2024, 04:37:27 PMhttps://maps.app.goo.gl/H65XMmtmXE8bUAnW6

I'm fascinated by the road design. The centreline of the road looks somewhat flat, but the sides have a steep crossfall (this view shows how tilted the cars are along the curbs). I'm used to 2% crossfalls directly from the centreline which looks very discreet in comparison (example in Kitchener, ON).

Yeah many streets in the city are like that, especially the older ones. It does help with drainage, except if a drain happens to be blocked or clogged it will create the opposite effect. Happens around my neighborhood quite often.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Big John

The parabolic cross-section. Less prevalent now as modern grading equipment have more trouble with variable cross slopes.

Kniwt

Just before an Ironman competition today in St. George UT:

Scott5114

Quote from: Big John on May 03, 2024, 08:46:26 PM

The parabolic cross-section. Less prevalent now as modern grading equipment have more trouble with variable cross slopes.

I have an old driving book that refers to this as a "crowned" surface. Crowned roads have also fallen out of style because they guide cars toward the outsides of curves, rather than through them like banked curves do.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Kniwt on May 04, 2024, 04:03:48 PMJust before an Ironman competition today in St. George UT:

This has to be the weirdest sign I ever saw. It's a great example of why QR codes don't belong on road sign.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/FocYdxDYbFTX4Sxe6
The AC Expressway in NJ always had strange signing practices, but this one where the arrow on top of the shield is a common thing where the contractor isn't paying attention.

Plus the ACE using destinations rather than directions was always unusual. Now they're slowly phasing them out for direction banners.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

plain

Quote from: roadman65 on May 04, 2024, 06:52:29 PMhttps://maps.app.goo.gl/FocYdxDYbFTX4Sxe6
The AC Expressway in NJ always had strange signing practices, but this one where the arrow on top of the shield is a common thing where the contractor isn't paying attention.

It's been a couple years since I've been on the ACE but most of the ones I've seen indeed had the arrow on top.

QuotePlus the ACE using destinations rather than directions was always unusual. Now they're slowly phasing them out for direction banners.

This I'm kinda sad about this because the ACE is like the equivalent of Canada's QEW in this regard.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

plain

Quote from: roadman65 on May 08, 2024, 11:39:54 AMhttps://maps.app.goo.gl/o46rwNAewy62oRk39
Wrong arrow. Should be a direct right arrow for the 11' 0" warning.

This could've went in the Erroneous Road Signs thread.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

Shedingtonian

Quote from: roadman65 on May 08, 2024, 04:28:12 PMhttps://maps.app.goo.gl/wLRNFqrzenhmc4uM8
Time for an APL here. :bigass:

Eh, not really. This approach is the one used in Spain, and I think it's clear enough. I do wonder what the federal MUTCD thinks of this though.
Fictional maps, road signs, video game projects... Visit Shedingtonian's Virtual Dump,
and read the blog to keep up to date with what's going on with me.

And yes, I'm still studying civil engineering.

mglass87

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/53706706719
Interesting that the locomotive used on the train station shield is a unit that hasn't been used in over five decades. The train power depicted is an A Unit Locomotive and is been out of service since the early 60's.

The sign in the photo was just installed at a brand new roundabout in Lakeland, FL.

Sheryl Crowe

CoreySamson

Found this temporary detour signage in Prague, OK after the main drag through town was closed for some kind of oversize load or construction or something:

It leaves quite a bit to be desired.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

D-Dey65

Still looking for that thread on the "Do Not Enter" signs with messages in the middle, because I found a pic of one in Daytona Beach.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ClassicHasClass

74/171FAN

freebrickproductions

Quote from: roadman65 on May 09, 2024, 07:29:30 PMThe train power depicted is an A Unit Locomotive and is been out of service since the early 60's.

Not too be too pedantic, but "A Unit" locomotives are still very much in use, and are easily the most common variety of diesel locomotives out there. All that an "A Unit" is is just a diesel locomotive that has a cab.

What's depicted on the station sign is specifically a Streamliner A Unit, which haven't been used on most passenger trains since about the time Amtrak took over in the early-70s. That being said, streamliners have a very iconic design that people will easily recognize as a passenger train, so I can see why it's still used on signs directing people to passenger stations. See also how a lot of countries around the world warn of an approaching railroad crossing with a depiction of a steam locomotive, usually an 0-6-0.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

LilianaUwU

Quote from: freebrickproductions on May 12, 2024, 08:07:33 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 09, 2024, 07:29:30 PMThe train power depicted is an A Unit Locomotive and is been out of service since the early 60's.

Not too be too pedantic, but "A Unit" locomotives are still very much in use, and are easily the most common variety of diesel locomotives out there. All that an "A Unit" is is just a diesel locomotive that has a cab.

What's depicted on the station sign is specifically a Streamliner A Unit, which haven't been used on most passenger trains since about the time Amtrak took over in the early-70s. That being said, streamliners have a very iconic design that people will easily recognize as a passenger train, so I can see why it's still used on signs directing people to passenger stations. See also how a lot of countries around the world warn of an approaching railroad crossing with a depiction of a steam locomotive, usually an 0-6-0.
Similarly, the pictogram for city buses in Québec is the GMC New Look, probably also because it's an iconic bus design:

Bus-only street by Liliana Vess, on Flickr
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.