Los Angeles 6th Street Viaduct Reconstruction

Started by M3100, July 26, 2020, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3100

L.A.'s 6th Street viaduct was south of downtown; it crossed over the Los Angeles River and connected with Whittier Blvd. to the east.  The bridge was demolished and is currently being rebuilt, on the same alignment as the original.  Here are some pictures from today (7-26-20).

1. Facing east from Santa Fe Ave. (west bank)

2. Facing north from the 7th Street Viaduct.  The tan building in the distance is Los Angeles MTA HQ, adjacent to LA Union Station.

3. I didn't take a picture of the 7th Street Viaduct other than this plaque, on the east bank side

4. Mission Road (east bank) facing north

5. Mission Road, facing east.  I'm not sure where the 'dividing line' between 6th Street and Whittier Blvd. is, maybe over the midpoint of the LA River.

Plutonic Panda

This is an awesome project and will transform the area. I do wish they would have restored the other one but I get it.

MCRoads

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 08, 2020, 07:19:32 PM
This is an awesome project and will transform the area. I do wish they would have restored the other one but I get it.

The viaduct was iconic, however, like the Bay Bridge in SF, it had to go. It is likely there will be an earthquake down there soon, and that bridge was a disaster waiting to happen. Thankfully, no part of the bridge had to collapse in order for replacement proceedings to start.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^^
The division point of 6th and Whittier is at the Boyle Ave. intersection immediately east of the old L.A. River bridge.  Coincidentally, before 1947 LRN 2/US 101 turned north on Boyle from eastward Whittier Blvd; they were realigned onto the original stretch of the Santa Ana Freeway, temporarily ending at Indiana Ave. (the Los Angeles eastern city limit).   

M3100

Quote from: sparker on September 07, 2020, 04:24:35 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^
The division point of 6th and Whittier is at the Boyle Ave. intersection immediately east of the old L.A. River bridge.  Coincidentally, before 1947 LRN 2/US 101 turned north on Boyle from eastward Whittier Blvd; they were realigned onto the original stretch of the Santa Ana Freeway, temporarily ending at Indiana Ave. (the Los Angeles eastern city limit). 

Thanks.  I have an undated Auto Club book from the early 50s (I think) that has several published strip maps, and it shows the Whittier/Boyle routing of US 101, which then turns west on 1st Street to downtown L.A.

sparker

Quote from: M3100 on September 07, 2020, 11:15:16 PM
Quote from: sparker on September 07, 2020, 04:24:35 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks.  I have an undated Auto Club book from the early 50s (I think) that has several published strip maps, and it shows the Whittier/Boyle routing of US 101, which then turns west on 1st Street to downtown L.A.

Actually, the pre-freeway route of US 101 veered northwest from Boyle onto Pleasant Ave. (a 2-lane street!) to Macy St., where it crossed the Ramona Parkway and then the L.A. River, went under the Union Station passenger platform through a tunnel, and merged onto Sunset Blvd. at North Main Street before heading NW to Hollywood. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.