News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Southern Beltway - PA Tpk 576

Started by CanesFan27, January 26, 2010, 07:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bitmapped

Quote from: Mr_Northside on July 12, 2019, 02:21:37 PM
I'm pretty sure everything I've read since they started constructions was that they were going to open US-22 <-> I-79 all at once when it's all done.

There was a recent Post-Gazette article (within the past month) that said waiting until it was all done to I-79 was still the plan.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Bitmapped on July 12, 2019, 10:13:35 PM
Quote from: Mr_Northside on July 12, 2019, 02:21:37 PM
I'm pretty sure everything I've read since they started constructions was that they were going to open US-22 <-> I-79 all at once when it's all done.

There was a recent Post-Gazette article (within the past month) that said waiting until it was all done to I-79 was still the plan.

And they're starting the I-79 bridge work tonight (i.e. digging under the road to build bridges over the Southern Beltway)

ARMOURERERIC

Are they maintaining 2 lanes each way on 79?  Are the new bridges able to carry 3 lanes each way for future needs?

Bitmapped

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 17, 2019, 12:19:24 AM
Are they maintaining 2 lanes each way on 79?  Are the new bridges able to carry 3 lanes each way for future needs?

Yes, they are maintaining 2 lanes each way on I-79. At least the southbound bridge will have to be 3 lanes + full shoulders to be able to do temporary duty with 4 lanes of traffic. Since the existing 3-lane section ends at the next exit north, I would hope PennDOT builds both bridges to handle 3 lanes + shoulders or at least includes provisions to allow for easy widening.

When the Meadow Lands interchange about 10 miles south was reconstructed around a decade ago, new overpasses were built over Manifold Road. Northbound was 3 lanes + full shoulders so it could carry 4 lanes of construction traffic. Southbound is 2 lanes + full shoulders, which presumably could be restriped as 3 lanes or widened.

ARMOURERERIC

Google satellite imagery has been updated for the Southern Beltway, also shows Freedom Rd over the Turnpike work, they did not do all of metro Pittsburgh, still shown none of the nearly completed Comfort Inn on E Ohio Str.

Beltway

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on February 16, 2020, 09:02:19 PM
Google satellite imagery has been updated for the Southern Beltway, also shows Freedom Rd over the Turnpike work, they did not do all of metro Pittsburgh, still shown none of the nearly completed Comfort Inn on E Ohio Str.
Impressive ... I didn't know how far the construction had progressed, almost all of it is under construction between US-22 and I-79.

I count about 8 miles of concrete pavement placed.

The 3-level diamond interchange between US-22 and PA-576 -- is that going to be upgraded to a free-flowing interchange in the future?  It will initially have 4 at-grade intersections between the ramps.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Gnutella

Quote from: Bitmapped on July 17, 2019, 09:43:28 AM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 17, 2019, 12:19:24 AM

Yes, they are maintaining 2 lanes each way on I-79. At least the southbound bridge will have to be 3 lanes + full shoulders to be able to do temporary duty with 4 lanes of traffic. Since the existing 3-lane section ends at the next exit north, I would hope PennDOT builds both bridges to handle 3 lanes + shoulders or at least includes provisions to allow for easy widening.

When the Meadow Lands interchange about 10 miles south was reconstructed around a decade ago, new overpasses were built over Manifold Road. Northbound was 3 lanes + full shoulders so it could carry 4 lanes of construction traffic. Southbound is 2 lanes + full shoulders, which presumably could be restriped as 3 lanes or widened.

It appears that there was foresight on that segment of I-79, based on the piers at the Manifold Road overpass. However, it appears that the overpasses at the Meadow Lands interchange itself will need to be replaced. The concrete through and immediately to the south of the interchange looks older than the concrete north of the interchange, though, so I wonder if that segment was reconstructed in the late 1980s with the I-70/I-79 north junction.

ARMOURERERIC

What is disappointing is that the longest duration contract, the interchange with 79 was started last.  Now we will have 60% of the project complete and sitting unused for 2 years.

Truvelo

Quote from: Gnutella on February 17, 2020, 04:39:27 AM
It appears that there was foresight on that segment of I-79, based on the piers at the Manifold Road overpass.

Can I offer a reason for why there is space for three lanes over this bridge but only two for the other direction. The bridge is on a tight left curve. Over here there is extra width in the median on the outside of tight bends to increase forward visibility. Could this be the reason for the wider bridge rather than to add an extra lane?
Speed limits limit life

seicer

During the reconstruction of the highway, the northbound bridges served two-way traffic and were built to accommodate four total lanes of traffic. The southbound bridge does not exhibit any widened shoulders and when looking underneath the highway, there are no cut-outs for additional girder support without some engineering and reconstruction.

Beltway

Any word on the schedule for the Section 1 segment between I-79 and PA-43?
I wonder if they have selected the Green Alternative.

I-79 to Mon/Fayette Expressway Section 1 Green Alternative Photo Presentation
http://www.traffic.info-quest.org/Paturnpike/green_rev5.pdf
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Henry

There is a small split in the Green Alternative that occurs between McMurray Road and US 19, so it has ambiguity in that regard, and is the only one with such a feature. However, I do think that it makes the most sense, as it takes the most direct path to the Mon-Fayette.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Beltway on February 16, 2020, 09:49:57 PM
The 3-level diamond interchange between US-22 and PA-576 -- is that going to be upgraded to a free-flowing interchange in the future?  It will initially have 4 at-grade intersections between the ramps.

I doubt it..... And that's just talking about "ever" - I'd count on the current interchange for probably *at least* the next 30 years.

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

X99

Is Fort Cherry Road being extended to PA 980/Robinson Highway to serve as an interchange connection? Also, what's going on just north of that? Did they not secure the land yet?
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

74/171FAN

Quote from: X99 on April 13, 2020, 11:23:55 PM
Is Fort Cherry Road being extended to PA 980/Robinson Highway to serve as an interchange connection? Also, what's going on just north of that? Did they not secure the land yet?

The PA Turnpike's website refers to it as the Fort Cherry Connector Road.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ARMOURERERIC

Off topic question:. I have to go to Pittsburgh on an emergency driving a rental car.  I will need to drive PA 43 between 70 and 40, are they still collecting cash tolls.

74/171FAN

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on September 28, 2020, 12:27:01 PM
Off topic question:. I have to go to Pittsburgh on an emergency driving a rental car.  I will need to drive PA 43 between 70 and 40, are they still collecting cash tolls.

No they are not. The entire PA Turnpike System is entirely permanently AET.  (https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=419.msg2505327#msg2505327)

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

chays

Resurrecting an old topic, but...
I've seen differing estimates of when 576 will be complete between US 22 and I-79. Most articles say fall 2021, but the Wikipedia entry for this road says that weather and other factors pushed the completion closer to summer 2022. Does anyone have any current information on this project?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: chays on February 20, 2021, 10:29:13 PM
I've seen differing estimates of when 576 will be complete between US 22 and I-79. Most articles say fall 2021, but the Wikipedia entry for this road says that weather and other factors pushed the completion closer to summer 2022. Does anyone have any current information on this project?

Opening in parts.

QuoteThe Southern Beltway will be open to traffic in October of 2021 with restrictions at I-79. Northbound I-79 traffic will be able to head west on the Southern Beltway and eastbound traffic on the Southern Beltway will be able to head south on I-79. All connections to and from I-79 will be open in 2022.
from: https://www.patpconstruction.com/southern_beltway/22to79/

Assuming the connection to Morganza Road (Exit 19) will be included in the 2022 openings and will not be part of the 2021 openings.

MASTERNC

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 20, 2021, 11:10:21 PM
Quote from: chays on February 20, 2021, 10:29:13 PM

Opening in parts.

QuoteThe Southern Beltway will be open to traffic in October of 2021 with restrictions at I-79. Northbound I-79 traffic will be able to head west on the Southern Beltway and eastbound traffic on the Southern Beltway will be able to head south on I-79. All connections to and from I-79 will be open in 2022.
from: https://www.patpconstruction.com/southern_beltway/22to79/

Assuming the connection to Morganza Road (Exit 19) will be included in the 2022 openings and will not be part of the 2021 openings.

It's a pain for those around the county line (South Fayette, USC, Peters) not having a connection immediately, but at least you can travel down to Southpointe and make a U-turn (it's not too much backtracking) or travel down Route 50 to the interchange there.

ARMOURERERIC

Update Google imagery, shows the ramp to 79 south paved.  As an aside, new imagrey for most of I70

rickmastfan67

Bitmapped

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 12, 2021, 10:58:42 PM
https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stories/first-look-new-southern-beltway-toll-road-connect-i79-pit/ZIV4PJYYMBDMXD5KQYKNFGEFJA/

Also, they said that there will be a 'free' segment between I-79 and the PA-50 interchange.

That will help to take some traffic out of the I-79/PA 50 Bridgeville interchange, which has some capacity issues.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Bitmapped on May 14, 2021, 03:01:35 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 12, 2021, 10:58:42 PM
https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stories/first-look-new-southern-beltway-toll-road-connect-i79-pit/ZIV4PJYYMBDMXD5KQYKNFGEFJA/

Also, they said that there will be a 'free' segment between I-79 and the PA-50 interchange.

That will help to take some traffic out of the I-79/PA 50 Bridgeville interchange, which has some capacity issues.

Not sure it will help a ton.  The main movement is SB I-79 to make a right onto PA 50.  Except for those who are further down Washington Pike (around the county line), it doesn't make much sense to proceed to the Southern Beltway exit.  Exiting traffic from NB I-79 to PA 50 seems much less.

JoeP2

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 27, 2021, 09:58:00 PM
Update Google imagery, shows the ramp to 79 south paved.  As an aside, new imagrey for most of I70

It seems weird that the satellite view shows the southern most paved stretch of the highway dead end into what looks like a hill. Shouldn't the land work have been started by now for the remaining stretch?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.