News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

I-69 in TX

Started by Grzrd, October 09, 2010, 01:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Jeff Royston photographed this assembly today from just north of Interstate 610.

txstateends

Quote from: Alex on October 23, 2012, 04:16:46 PM
Jeff Royston photographed this assembly today from just north of Interstate 610.

Amazing -- a non-neutered Houston interstate shield, and a Houston interstate *with* a signed US route overlap.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 13, 2012, 11:48:29 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on June 29, 2012, 11:13:30 AM
The Texas Transportation Commission, in its revision of the 2012 Unified Transportation Program (UTP) gave approval for the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) to move forward with additional funding identified earlier this year. Several I-69 projects are included in TxDOT's Projects Selected for $2 Billion Allocation list:
(US 59) Liberty County line to south of Cleveland freeway upgrade - $6 million ...
This article reports that the next I-69 project in the greater Houston area ... will extend north from the current end of I-69 near the Montgomery County/ Liberty County county line to the recently completed 105 Loop near Cleveland

Another I-69 project from the $2 Billion Allocation List:

(US 59) Ramps, frontage roads, remove cross overs from north of SL 463 to south of US 87 - $11.62 million

This October 27 article reports that the above four-mile SL 463 to south of US 87 project in the Victoria area should begin in August 2013 and will take place in existing right-of-way:

Texas Department of Transportation will have an open house Tuesday to allow residents to learn more about plans to build four miles of one-way frontage roads along U.S. Highway 59 ....
Stretched from U.S. Highway 87 to Loop 463, the project includes removing median cross-overs and connecting existing driveways to the new frontage roads.
The U.S. 59 overpass at U.S. 87 will also be replaced with a new structure. Construction is scheduled to begin in August 2013.
The proposed work would take place within existing right-of-way. No additional right-of-way would be required for this project ....

Cam4rd98

I think if Interstate 69 went outside the city of Houston along the proposed grand parkway I wouldn't think that would help traffic in the inner city  because the Grand Parkway is planned to be a loop around the Greater Houston Area and that would be too far to be interstate commute from the city but it would make more sense if I-69 were to follow directly on U.S. 59 through Houston would make convenience more precise meaning that it would be at the location where it is exactly needed because if the Grand Parkway were designated as I-69 but its too late now because I-69 is now designated from Interstate 610 to Cleveland Texas along the U.S. 59 freeway, or maybe the Grand Parkway could be designated as X69 or something like I-469 that would make sense.

NE2

or maybe projects don't follow numbers or maybe people don't follow numbers or maybe you need punctuation
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Perfxion

I think what he is getting at, that it wouldn't make sense to make SH99 I-69 due to how outside of Houston(which is saying something) that parkway will be. Its cheaper to overlay it over US59 in greater Houston since it is already an highway to interstate standards for a large stretch. I don't think Grand Parkway will be X69 as I don't even think the whole thing will be built.
5/10/20/30/15/35/37/40/44/45/70/76/78/80/85/87/95/
(CA)405,(NJ)195/295(NY)295/495/278/678(CT)395(MD/VA)195/495/695/895

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Perfxion on November 11, 2012, 01:57:00 PM
I think what he is getting at, that it wouldn't make sense to make SH99 I-69 due to how outside of Houston(which is saying something) that parkway will be. Its cheaper to overlay it over US59 in greater Houston since it is already an highway to interstate standards for a large stretch. I don't think Grand Parkway will be X69 as I don't even think the whole thing will be built.

It's a moot point anyway, since US 59 from I-610 north has already been designated as I-69. The Grand Parkway should remain as SH 99.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on July 29, 2012, 02:33:08 PM
Speaking of Laredo, it is interesting (and practical) that, in the combined Segments Four and Five report, the Segment 5 Committee recommends that (among their top five priorities), because of ROW and congestion problems along US 59 in Laredo, instead of having I-69 end at the current southern terminus of US 59, perhaps I-69 could be routed along Loop 20 from the Mexican border to the current Loop 20/ US 59 interchange (page 46/165 of pdf; page 40 of document)
Quote from: lordsutch on August 01, 2012, 11:06:59 AM
Definitely more practical; there are already substantial plans to "freewayize" Loop 20 with minimal relocations.

It looks like the City of Laredo and Webb County both want to incorporate Loop 20 into I-69.  On November 5, the Laredo City Council voted on a resolution to cooperate with Webb County in creating a Transportation Reinvestment Zone along sections of Loop 20 and US 59, both of which are referred to as being considered for I-69 status (page 8/14 of pdf):

2012-R-093 Expressing the City of Laredo's intent and commitment to work jointly with Webb County to create a Transportation Reinvestment Zone (TRZ) or zones along Loop 20 from its intersection with I-35 to its intersection with U.S. Highway 59 and U.S. 59 from its intersection with Loop 20 east to its intersection with the Webb County line which said sections are being considered for I-69 status once they meet U.S. Interstate Highway standards.

The Webb County Commissioners Court will consider a companion resolution on Nov. 13 (page 2/12 of pdf):

Discussion and possible action to approve a Resolution expressing Webb County's intent and commitment to work jointly with the City of Laredo to create a Transportation Reinvestment Zone (TRZ) or Zones along Loop 20 from its intersection with IH-35 to its intersection with U.S. Highway 59 and from U.S. Highway 59 from its intersection with Loop 20 East to its intersection with the Webb County line which said sections are being considered for I-69 status once they meet U.S. interstate highway standards.

Meanwhile, TxDOT's Webb County Projects Tracker confirms a lot of current and scheduled construction activity for Loop 20.  Since Loop 20 has an interchange with I-35 (connection with the current interstate system), it could conceivably receive an I-69 designation after its upgrades are completed.

EDIT

I just noticed that a a June 28, 2012 article on the Alliance for I-69 Texas website expresses in certain terms that Loop 20 will be the final leg of I-69:

Here are the other I-69 projects marked for funding by the Commission:
> WEBB COUNTY - $9 million to construct an overpass on Loop 20 at McPherson Road on the north side of Laredo, a location one mile east of Interstate 35. Loop 20 is the final leg of I-69 connecting to Interstate 35 and Webb County international border crossings.

roadman65

My latest Rand McNally atlas shows the freeway of US 77 south of I-37  to TX 44 as I-69.  Nowhere else in TX on that same edition show I-69 existing even on US 59 where it is freeway through Houston.

I think that is strange considering the next I-69 segment to be established permanently is in MS.  A long way in time and mileage for the links to be attached.

Added I just checked Wikipedia and it states that another 35 miles of US 59 has been approved (and signed) as I-69 though not shown on Rand McNally.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

codyg1985

From the Special Committee on U.S. Route Numbering Annual Meeting, it looks like I-69 has gotten conditional approval for the following stretches in Texas (conditional on FHWA approval):

- From Spur 529 in Rosenburg northeast to I-610 southwest of Houston
- Raymondville to Brownsville

Also an I-69C has gotten conditional approval between McAllen and Edinburg.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Grzrd

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 28, 2012, 11:06:49 AM
From the Special Committee on U.S. Route Numbering Annual Meeting, it looks like I-69 has gotten conditional approval for... (conditional on FHWA approval) ... Raymondville to Brownsville
Also an I-69C has gotten conditional approval between McAllen and Edinburg.
Quote from: Grzrd on November 12, 2012, 01:29:33 PM
I just noticed that a a June 28, 2012 article on the Alliance for I-69 Texas website expresses in certain terms that Loop 20 will be the final leg of I-69:
> WEBB COUNTY - $9 million to construct an overpass on Loop 20 at McPherson Road on the north side of Laredo, a location one mile east of Interstate 35. Loop 20 is the final leg of I-69 connecting to Interstate 35 and Webb County international border crossings.

I find it interesting that AASHTO approved the I-69 designation for US 77 from Raymondville to Brownsville, even though it is statutorily designated as I-69E.  If TxDOT makes significant progress on Loop 20 in Laredo and wants an interstate designation in the relatively near future, then it will be interesting to see how TxDOT handles the designations.

Quote from: Grzrd on September 19, 2012, 10:01:56 PM
[T]he Texas Transportation Commission will also consider an interstate designation application for US 83 in the Rio Grande Valley, but a specific numerical request will apparently not be considered: (page 6/14 of pdf)

Also the US 83 application was rejected because no number had been requested:

Establishment of Interstate Route (#TBD)
Route will begin at 0.5 mile west of the U.S. 83/Showers Road junction in Palmview, TX. Route will extend 46.8 miles to the east. Existing facility is a four-lane to six-lane divided, controlled access route. Route will travel west to east. Mission, McAllen, Pharr, and Harlingen are four focal point cities. Route will extend 46.8 miles. Route will end at the junction of U.S. 77 in Harlingen, TX.
Disapproved
Application incomplete without an interstate number and Texas needs to provide a map showing that interstate routes are interconnected.

Will Texas beat Louisiana to the punch for I-6?

vdeane

AASHTO has officially gone crazy.  And the interstate numbering system is now dead.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CanesFan27

Quote from: deanej on November 28, 2012, 11:48:16 AM
AASHTO has officially gone crazy.  And the interstate numbering system is now dead.

Will you be hosting a memorial service for the Interstate Numbering System?

Alps

In that case, I want I-287 to be renumbered I-0, just so I live next to the coolest Interstate ever.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Steve on November 28, 2012, 09:12:38 PM
In that case, I want I-287 to be renumbered I-0, just so I live next to the coolest Interstate ever.

Nah, the coolest Interstate number would be I-007. ;)

Alps

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on November 28, 2012, 09:18:35 PM
Quote from: Steve on November 28, 2012, 09:12:38 PM

Nah, the coolest Interstate number would be I-007. ;)
Wouldn't that have to be a motorway?

codyg1985

I want an imaginary interstate...I-i.
Cody Goodman

Alps

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 12, 2012, 01:29:33 PM

I recently received an email update form TxDOT regarding Loop 20 which affirms a desire for Loop 20 to be part of the I-69 corridor and that current project upgrades are being built to interstate standards (emphasis in email added by me):

The ultimate goal is to build all major State Loop 20 intersections in Laredo to  interstate highway standards. In fact, on October 31, 2012, the Texas Department of Transportation Laredo District  hosted an I-69 Laredo briefing to continue their quest to bring Loop 20 from US 59 to I-35, and US 59 (I-69) to interstate highway standards. Webb County Judge Danny Valdez and City of Laredo City Manger Carlos Villarreal each stated their entities support for the project.

As decided in cooperation between TxDOT, the City of Laredo and Webb County, Loop 20 from US 59 to west of IH 35 is under consideration to become a portion of the IH 69 corridor.  The only portion of this corridor that has construction funding is the Loop 20 overpass at McPherson (which will be constructed to interstate standards). In addition, Webb County has initiated environmental and schematic studies and project design for Loop 20 interchanges at the IH 35/U-P railroad and the International Blvd. crossings.  Also, Webb County is in the consultant selection process to hire a consultant engineering company to begin work on the schematic, environmental and preliminary project design for Loop 20 from east of International Blvd. to US 59.  It is TxDOT's, the City's and County's intention that all of the design for the Loop 20 upgrades from US 59 to west of IH 35 will be to interstate standards so that this section can be included as a future portion of the IH 69 corridor without any substantial changes or improvements to the roadway itself.

Also, the City of Laredo and Webb County are cooperating in an effort to develop tax reinvestment zones (TRIZs) along some of the major highway corridors within the Laredo city limits in order to develop local sources of funding that can help to leverage additional state and/or federal monies to advance the major highway projects within Laredo (including but not necessarily limited to the Loop 20 efforts).  We don't know a firm timeline when funding will be available for the Loop 20 upgrades, the finalization of the TRIZs except for the McPherson interchange that goes to bidding this December 2012.

No surprise that funding issues exist.

codyg1985

^ I wouldn't say this is quite up to interstate standards.
Cody Goodman

Grzrd

The I-69 Advisory Committee Report and Recommendations, combining information from the five segment committees (and current to November 5, 2012), has been posted on the TxDOT website.  It has several interesting maps included at the end of the report, including a map combining the priorities of the five committees (page 25/30 of pdf; page 19 of document):

The text on the map identifies "US 59 from the Mexico Border to East of Laredo" as an upgrade priority, but the map itself seems to identify Loop 20 from the Mexico Border to East of Laredo as a priority.

edit

Quote from: NE2 on July 14, 2012, 09:09:08 PM
Or they could pull an I-10 in west Texas and keep the at-grades. Why were those allowed to be grandfathered there but not here?

The Report indicates that they will pursue exceptions with FHWA (page 19/30 of pdf; page 13 of document):

The Advisory and Segment Committee members recommend designating existing sections of highway as I-69 when they meet Interstate standards. Committee members also encourage TxDOT to work with FHWA to gain exceptions to some Interstate standards required for portions of highways recommended for I-69 in South Texas, such as highway sections within ranch areas, where Interstate standards today may not be warranted but Interstate designation is still needed.

AsphaltPlanet

I don't know if this has been posted anywhere else, but I-69 shields have been posted on BGS signs for the southern leg of US-77 South at I-37 near Corpus Christi.  I can post some pics if this is news.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

vdeane

I think there was a thread on it last year.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

InterstateNG

I demand an apology.

lamsalfl

When might we expect to see those I-369 shields?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.