News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 06, 2024, 06:13:08 PMUnfortunately, a lot of hotels are doing this too, but instead of cleaning fees, they're "resort fees".

Your new hometown is king.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 06, 2024, 06:13:08 PMUnfortunately, a lot of hotels are doing this too, but instead of cleaning fees, they're "resort fees".
well it's either that or the scorn or death glare you get for not leaving a tip on the hutch.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mgk920

When I was a kid, we never had mail delivery to our whole block being one number off.  OTOH, it was not unusual for us to get mail for '(our number) EAST Our St' instead of '(our number) WEST Our St', and vice versa.  I assume that that was no longer a problem after the USPS split the 54911 ZIP Code, giving our part of the city '54914' (about 1980).

Mike

elsmere241

It's happened before, but not in a long time.

Scott5114

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 06, 2024, 06:26:27 PM

Your new hometown is king.

Yes, and it's kind of a political issue here, actually. The representatives from Nevada are as far as I know the only Democrats in opposition to regulations that would prohibit such things. The city's economy is more diverse than it used to be, but the Strip still calls the shots.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

Things that make you feel old: On tonight's episode of Jeopardy, none of the contestants recognized the lyrics to "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tchafe1978

Quote from: mgk920 on May 06, 2024, 10:27:48 PMWhen I was a kid, we never had mail delivery to our whole block being one number off.  OTOH, it was not unusual for us to get mail for '(our number) EAST Our St' instead of '(our number) WEST Our St', and vice versa.  I assume that that was no longer a problem after the USPS split the 54911 ZIP Code, giving our part of the city '54914' (about 1980).

Mike

My address is 308 W. Wisconsin Ave. We used to regularly get mail addressed to 308 E. Wisconsin Ave. I went to the post office a number of times to tell them about it and return the wrongly delivered mail, but it still kept happening. It finally stopped after the elderly person who lived at 308 E. Wisconsin Ave. passed away.

roadman65

I love when you encounter a group of cars driving slow in the right lane, so you move into the left lane to pass the line when suddenly the car at the end of the line decides at that precise moment that he don't want to be part of the party and then pulls into the left lane to also start passing those in front of him.

It happens a lot and it's annoying when your clear road gets blocked in both lanes  constantly as either the bozo is micro passing the others, or he is delayed in accelerating as when you slow down to their speed they speed up to a faster speed than you were originally. Meanwhile you almost stopped for the three seconds the drivers brain is figuring out that he can go faster too.

What gets me is why do they spend minutes behind slow drivers and suddenly realize that they don't want to drive slowly.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

Quote from: roadman65 on May 08, 2024, 01:31:24 AMWhat gets me is why do they spend minutes behind slow drivers and suddenly realize that they don't want to drive slowly.
This could become more common as cars with adaptive cruise control become the norm.  The system slows the car down before you get the sense of approaching the car in front telling you that you need to pass, so the car can easily slow down without the driver realizing it.  And then it takes a while for the car to get back up to speed when the driver finally does look at the speedometer and move over.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

I still hate adaptive cruise control.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SectorZ

Quote from: Rothman on May 08, 2024, 01:27:02 PMI still hate adaptive cruise control.

I love it outside of the problem above. My wife's car will control it down to a complete stop and you can leave it on in stop-and-go traffic with no fatigue. Makes driving a lot less aggravating. Sure it's a little herky-jerky at times but I've gotten used to it. Only thing I need to remember jumping to my car is that it doesn't have it.

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 07, 2024, 08:43:51 PMThings that make you feel old: On tonight's episode of Jeopardy, none of the contestants recognized the lyrics to "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now."
Uh oh, the world ran out of lovers.

roadman65

Auto correct again.  I was wishing condolences to my friend who lost a mom.  When I typed in " May she rest in peace" the algorithm changed it to " May sheets in peace."

Oh yes the Capital M for the m in may is annoying like it done here.😣

Sheryl Crowe

mgk920

Quote from: roadman65 on May 08, 2024, 01:31:24 AMI love when you encounter a group of cars driving slow in the right lane, so you move into the left lane to pass the line when suddenly the car at the end of the line decides at that precise moment that he don't want to be part of the party and then pulls into the left lane to also start passing those in front of him.

It happens a lot and it's annoying when your clear road gets blocked in both lanes  constantly as either the bozo is micro passing the others, or he is delayed in accelerating as when you slow down to their speed they speed up to a faster speed than you were originally. Meanwhile you almost stopped for the three seconds the drivers brain is figuring out that he can go faster too.

What gets me is why do they spend minutes behind slow drivers and suddenly realize that they don't want to drive slowly.

Even worse is being the first vehicle in line behind the slow-poke.

:banghead:

Mike

Rothman

Getting sick of the phrase "and I'm here for it" to show enthusiasm for something.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: formulanone on May 08, 2024, 06:20:46 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 07, 2024, 08:43:51 PMThings that make you feel old: On tonight's episode of Jeopardy, none of the contestants recognized the lyrics to "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now."

Here was the full clue, by the way. The category was "Pop Music" and they had a video of songwriter Diane Warren, seated in front of a piano, saying the following:

QuoteYou might not remember the film "Mannequin", but I hope you remember my song from it that says, "And we can build this dream together standing strong together", this 5-word title.

I could easily understand someone not knowing the exact words to the song were "dream" and "standing strong" (I think those two lines are easy to mishear as something else), but that song was—and arguably still is—so ubiquitous on the radio that I was flabbergasted that none of the contestants knew what song it was. (I remember it being from the movie, although I never saw the movie beyond the clips they used in the song's music video.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SEWIGuy

I think bringing up the movie Mannequin makes it a little more difficult to remember because I completely forgot that song was even in the movie. I completely forgot about the movie all-together.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 09, 2024, 08:29:12 AM

Here was the full clue, by the way. The category was "Pop Music" and they had a video of songwriter Diane Warren, seated in front of a piano, saying the following:

QuoteYou might not remember the film "Mannequin", but I hope you remember my song from it that says, "And we can build this dream together standing strong together", this 5-word title.

I could easily understand someone not knowing the exact words to the song were "dream" and "standing strong" (I think those two lines are easy to mishear as something else), but that song was—and arguably still is—so ubiquitous on the radio that I was flabbergasted that none of the contestants knew what song it was. (I remember it being from the movie, although I never saw the movie beyond the clips they used in the song's music video.)

The clue is stupid. If you don't remember the movie, you won't also remember the song in the movie. If the song reminds you of the movie, then you remember at least some of the movie. If the clue helps you remember the song itself, the movie had nothing to do with it.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 09, 2024, 10:46:48 AM

The clue is stupid. If you don't remember the movie, you won't also remember the song in the movie. If the song reminds you of the movie, then you remember at least some of the movie. If the clue helps you remember the song itself, the movie had nothing to do with it.

They need to add some "color" to the clues, that's all the Mannequin part is -- filler.

vdeane

I recognize song more by melody than lyrics so even though I know the song (and seem to hear it whenever I drive within radio range of CBS FM) I don't think I could have gotten it from the clue.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on May 09, 2024, 07:04:04 AMGetting sick of the phrase "and I'm here for it" to show enthusiasm for something.

We found something that Rothman dislikes as much as Olive Garden and I'm here for it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 09, 2024, 04:23:18 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 09, 2024, 07:04:04 AMGetting sick of the phrase "and I'm here for it" to show enthusiasm for something.

We found something that Rothman dislikes as much as Olive Garden and I'm here for it.

Control City discussions (though I'm also not here for it).

jeffandnicole

"It is what it is". While many people will say it for something that they can't change, it's also used by people that can't bare to say "well I'm wrong but I'm not going to admit it".

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 09, 2024, 04:23:18 PM

Let's not get carried away.

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 09, 2024, 05:25:22 PM"It is what it is". While many people will say it for something that they can't change, it's also used by people that can't bare to say "well I'm wrong but I'm not going to admit it".

That's what you get a lot. For whatever reason we have many on the forum who are so insecure that they have to retreat into this world. 

It's funnier ( not ha ha funny but peculiar) that many who attend higher education institutions have such insecurities that they have to pick on others mistakes to boost their own confidence. However when they're wrong they won't even say that phrase, but just say nothing at all.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.